Poodle Forum banner

Are toy poodles known to "skip" when they walk at times?

10K views 41 replies 14 participants last post by  cowpony 
#1 ·
Our toy poodle, Sophia, tickles me. She must visit both of us when we go to the bathroom. She comes and positions herself at our feet for a short petting session (30 seconds or so), then heads back down the hall toward her perch on top of the living room sofa to look out the window. When she heads down the hall she often "skips" (just like a kid would) with her back legs only. Sometime once, sometimes twice, sometimes three times, sometimes not at all. Seems like it's just what she wants to do at the time. Just tickles the heck out of me. I don't think I have ever seen a dog "skip" before. Anyone else ever noted this behavior? Is this a common trait in other dogs or poodles?

#3 ·
Read some of twyla's posts about her girl Beatrice, who used to skip when her luxating patellas were out of whack. I would ask a vet to check that out. Sorry to be a debby downer.

#8 ·
Hate to be a Debbie Downer - but dogs with luxating patella will look like they are skipping. The ligament can slip out and that skipping movement of straightening their leg can help the ligament slip back into position.

Reactions: Dechi and kontiki
#10 ·
No. It is NOT.

Symptoms
  • Your dog may become weaker in their movement. You may notice that the dog is getting up more slowly or will flop down to rest.
  • Abnormal movement. When luxation occurs your dog will try to kick the patellar back into place. ...
  • Unusual gate. ...
  • Loss of enthusiasm. ...
  • In severe cases lameness can occur.
None of these are the case for 7 years. Thank you for your "concerns." I was looking to share something of a happy note, but sheesh, people! Don't do that to people! Read before you offer your expertise. I will try to post a video. ;)

#17 ·
I don’t know what grade my tpoo’s luxating patella was. This was years ago and hers was very mild. We noticed a problem when she was about 12 yo after she jumped off a couch and made a little whimper and was limping. We immediately took her to the vet who popped the leg back into position and told us to never let her jump up or off furniture. We followed that advice and we never had to take her back for luxating patellas. However there were several rare times over the years when I noticed her skipping and saw she was extending her problem leg to pop the ligament back into place. The vet had told me she would do this. She never made a noise, nor did it stop her from going where she was going, it was just that quick stretch and someone who didn’t know about it could easily miss it.

My daughter had taught her to climb on a ball and walk it like a circus dog as well as other tricks so her occasional luxating patella didn’t interfere with most of her activities.

She never had any of the other symptoms you mentioned in your post. She lived til she was 20 and developed bad arthritis when she was 19 which is when she slowed down, had significant muscle loss and became weak and slept most of the time.

I’m not a vet, don’t play one on tv and I haven’t seen your dog skipping. If it was me, I would get a good video and show it to your vet on the next visit and ask if there was any problem. It may be skipping from joy as you assume, or an indication of a problem that may be so mild you don’t do anything except avoid jumping on and off furniture.

#11 ·
Adding some information of luxating patellas:
This is a video of a dog with a luxating patella. This case is one of the more severe, and wound up needing surgery. And here is a video of a vet talking about luxating patellas. My own tpoo suffers from this, and he cannot stand when it pops out significantly. He also gets sort of a 'haze' around him, and if he is awake, will attempt to come over to me. Skipping does not necessarily mean that a dog has luxating patellas, and if a dog only does it in specific situations, then we can probably assume that this is likely a behavioral thing.

#12 ·
Thank you for taking the time. I was being very facetious when I asked if "skipping down the hall" was the only symptom. It was pretty obvious to me (without even ever hearing of the malady before) that "luxating patella(s)" would certainly carry more symptoms. No one should assume that because a dog happily skips down the hall that it has luxating patella(s) and a vet visit is on order. Sheesh! Sorry to hear about your toy poodle and everyone else's that suffers from this disorder. I tried to record Sophia, but she decided not to skip this time. Could have bet on it. Lol.

#14 ·
I have seen plenty of Chihuahuas, including the one I am currently taking care of, skip. I've seen it so often that I actually thought that it was just part of the bred or something. Now I'm thinking to tell all of their owners to get their dogs checked, ahh.

Anyways, consulting your vet about your dog's skipping is a good idea. It's better to be safe than sorry.

#15 ·
I have seen plenty of Chihuahuas, including the one I am currently taking care of, skip. I've seen it so often that I actually thought that it was just part of the bred or something. Now I'm thinking to tell all of their owners to get their dogs checked, ahh.

Anyways, consulting your vet about your dog's skipping is a good idea. It's better to be safe than sorry.
Yes our family's "highway-obtained" chihuahua skipped due to patellar luxation. Once you know the pattern you see a lot of it.

This post has been deleted
This post has been deleted
#16 · (Edited)
this video

these videos of my girl post one knee surgery and shows a slight skip in the right leg
Bea's Knees
Bea's Knees 1

Luxating patellas are graded, when I first noticed Bea's "skipping" she was six months old, she tore her cruciates ligament in her left leg at 16 months with a Grade 3 patella luxation and had her right knee repaired with a grade 4 Luxating Patella at age 3.

It may be low grade and not a worry

#18 ·
Well, all you Debbie Downers totally missed the fact that Sophia only does it when she feels like it. I am still trying to video it. When I am ready she never does it. I am 100% positive that this is just because Sophia wants to, not because she has to. Positive fun thing. You also missed the fact that she will zip around like a mad bullet, run and jump like a maniac (I probably said, "Loves to run and jump"). She'd have made a great circus dog. Please get off of the downer thing. We understand the malady exists, but it does not exist here. Period. Thanks. If I ever get a video I think I'll post it in a new thread instead of at the bottom of this depressing thread. Good luck to all those whose dogs do suffer from this malady.

#25 ·
I am so sorry that you tried to post something "cute" about your puppy and were offended by the responses you got. Please know that the people on this forum are very intelligent about the poodle breed and only want to help. They are not trying to be doom-sayers.

There are some red flags in your description of your puppy's gait. It may be nothing to worry about, but on the off chance that it is a concern, early intervention might make a big difference in outcome.

Everyone is different. I know that I am very reactionary and I always think worse case scenerio ( which is why Sammy is on a first name basis with everyone at his vets' office ), but the peace of mind after he is checked and I am told he is healthy, is invaluable to me.

Not all orthopedic problems are immediately evident. If this were my dog, I would pursue further evaluation. Just my opinion and I hope your puppy is sound.

Please try to take the advice you have received kindly. We are all afraid of getting bad news regarding our dogs' health. I, for one, am very grateful for the knowledge this site has given me.

#26 ·
Tone and intent can be lost when writing versus speaking, and in reading versus listening.
"Are toy poodles "known" to skip at times when they walk at times?"
that is the title of the thread.
That is a question you asked.
Where as "my poodle happily skips to greet me in the evening does yours?"
Same question different context

#32 ·
That is a knee cap slipping in and out of place or a patella hitch

#33 ·
Here we go again. Please do not play vet and offer you diagnosis of some malady you're aware of. There is ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with Sophia's knees or patellas! I thought I said that. Please just enjoy a video of a poodle feeling like "skipping."

#34 ·
I cannot enjoy the video, I have many videos of my toy poodle skipping too. My poodle had luxating patellas which were surgically repaired.
Poodles don skip without a orthopedic reason.

#36 ·
I am sorry for you,Twyla, but please don't project your dogs' issues onto mine. That is totally unfair and unwanted. My vet says she's perfectly healthy and this is not her "normal gait." She doesn't do this normally ANYWHERE ELSE! Only here in the hall on her way back to her perch on the couch and her "mom." SHE DOES NOT DO THIS WALKING DOWN THE SIDEWALK. SHE DOES NOT DO THIS WALKING ON THE PATIO. SHE DOES NOT DO THIS WALKING ANYWHERE ELSE BUT HERE. If you cannot enjoy it for what I tell you it is then please go elsewhere. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.