Poodle Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Thanks. That's good to hear even if it's from one owner. I don't think, but know it's not a good thing to do when it is 100% obviously not necessary.
I think all people are suggesting is that you mention the skipping to your vet, who can then watch your dog walk and maybe do a hand and visual exam to make certain all is good. I am not sure why you are so offended/defensive over nothing more than a mention at her annual vet exam.
Johanna's dog is likely to be bred, and bad patellas would disqualify her from being bred, so has had more formal testing, but that is unlikely to be necessary for a pet unless severe.

Better safe than sorry, always mention unusual things to the vet is the mood around here, I think. Especially when the checking costs nothing (a mention at the exam) and provides peace of mind. Patella issues are common enough in small poodles, it's probably a good thing to double check anyways - your vet may very well be checking them at exams anyways!

Any time a dog has an unusual gait, it's a good thing to check with the vet, though not necessarily an emergency. My family personally ignored a change in gait that we thought was due to arthritis/overuse in one leg, and turned out to be osteosarcoma. The guilt of that (couldnt have fixed it, but could have had her on pain meds to improve her quality of life earlier) will live with me forever. Patella issues if minor, are unlikely to need anything more than being careful about jumping to preserve their good health for longer. Good to know either way for sure. I know if Annie or Trixie started hopping or skipping occasionally, I would bring it up at our next vet appointment for my peace of mind.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I think all people are suggesting is that you mention the skipping to your vet, who can then watch your dog walk and maybe do a hand and visual exam to make certain all is good. I am not sure why you are so offended/defensive over nothing more than a mention at her annual vet exam.
Johanna's dog is likely to be bred, and bad patellas would disqualify her from being bred, so has had more formal testing, but that is unlikely to be necessary for a pet unless severe.

Better safe than sorry, always mention unusual things to the vet is the mood around here, I think. Especially when the checking costs nothing (a mention at the exam) and provides peace of mind. Patella issues are common enough in small poodles, it's probably a good thing to double check anyways - your vet may very well be checking them at exams anyways!

Any time a dog has an unusual gait, it's a good thing to check with the vet, though not necessarily an emergency. My family personally ignored a change in gait that we thought was due to arthritis/overuse in one leg, and turned out to be osteosarcoma. The guilt of that (couldnt have fixed it, but could have had her on pain meds to improve her quality of life earlier) will live with me forever. Patella issues if minor, are unlikely to need anything more than being careful about jumping to preserve their good health for longer. Good to know either way for sure. I know if Annie or Trixie started hopping or skipping occasionally, I would bring it up at our next vet appointment for my peace of mind.
I agree... I am the hyper vigilant sort. I would always rather have a vet check things than let my anxiety get to me. I think I've had them check Misha's patellas and trachea every time I've been in just for peace of mind! I guess this whole thread has confused me. It was titled "Are toy poodles known to "skip" when they walk at times?" The answer to that is "Yes, but it is often an indication of an orthopedic issue that is very common in the breed and it is worth mentioning to the vet to rule out." However the answer seems to have bothered the OP. It was not intended as such, as the forum is frequented by extremely health conscious members who have a lot of experience with these problems. If somebody noticed my dog had a symptom that could indicate a health problem, I would certainly hope they would tell me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

STOP SUGGESTING! The gait is perfectly normal! There is NO change! This only happens once in a while when she feels "extra frisky." I am 100% confident that she is 100% perfectly normal. IT IS A GOOD THING! Jeeeeeeeeeze!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I agree... I am the hyper vigilant sort. I would always rather have a vet check things than let my anxiety get to me. I think I've had them check Misha's patellas and trachea every time I've been in just for peace of mind! I guess this whole thread has confused me. It was titled "Are toy poodles known to "skip" when they walk at times?" The answer to that is "Yes, but it is often an indication of an orthopedic issue that is very common in the breed and it is worth mentioning to the vet to rule out." However the answer seems to have bothered the OP. It was not intended as such, as the forum is frequented by extremely health conscious members who have a lot of experience with these problems. If somebody noticed my dog had a symptom that could indicate a health problem, I would certainly hope they would tell me.
Well that's good for people with anxiety. I don't have any. There is no need for any. It is all coming from you people. The OP made it perfectly clear that your responses bothered him and why... and you continue!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I am so sorry that you tried to post something "cute" about your puppy and were offended by the responses you got. Please know that the people on this forum are very intelligent about the poodle breed and only want to help. They are not trying to be doom-sayers.

There are some red flags in your description of your puppy's gait. It may be nothing to worry about, but on the off chance that it is a concern, early intervention might make a big difference in outcome.

Everyone is different. I know that I am very reactionary and I always think worse case scenerio ( which is why Sammy is on a first name basis with everyone at his vets' office ), but the peace of mind after he is checked and I am told he is healthy, is invaluable to me.

Not all orthopedic problems are immediately evident. If this were my dog, I would pursue further evaluation. Just my opinion and I hope your puppy is sound.

Please try to take the advice you have received kindly. We are all afraid of getting bad news regarding our dogs' health. I, for one, am very grateful for the knowledge this site has given me.

·
Premium Member
6,380 Posts
Tone and intent can be lost when writing versus speaking, and in reading versus listening.
"Are toy poodles "known" to skip at times when they walk at times?"
that is the title of the thread.
That is a question you asked.
Where as "my poodle happily skips to greet me in the evening does yours?"
Same question different context

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Tone and intent can be lost when writing versus speaking, and in reading versus listening.
"Are toy poodles "known" to skip at times when they walk at times?"
that is the title of the thread.
That is a question you asked.
Where as "my poodle happily skips to greet me in the evening does yours?"
Same question different context
A title leads to some text. There is plenty of text that conveys a whole different "tone" than what you would have everyone imagine. Please read the OP's responses to delineate that TONE.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts