Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen people's pictures of interestingly groomed dogs. I'm not a groomer but I so enjoy it. I'd love to mentor under someone and learn so that I could one day compete. Seems like something that might be so fun and bring out the artistic side of someone. Poodles are fun to groom.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
yup :) It isn't limited to poodles there are a lot of different classes you can enter, plus the creative grooming classes :)

here is a link to one http://www.intergroom.com/ if you look in the small print on the left side of the page you there are links to pictures from previous years.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
ohh boy are there grooming competitions!! NZ is very limited (we had a competition 4 years ago, and then another this year. wooot.) but overseas there are multiple BIG competitions. Ohhh I'd love to go along to some!!

There are all sorts of classes, for different skill levels, different breeds done to the breed standard, mixed breeds, and the potpourri type classes where (mostly poodles) are done like anything you want (ie a poodle groomed well as a bedlington is stunning!) as well as teh creative classes where the dogs (again, mainly poodles) are dyed and styled into anything imaginable.

And the stalls there! They have everything you'd ever want to groom, or own a dog, often on a 'show discount' too!

*dreams*

One day I'll go over. I'm determined!! lol.

For the competitions, your dogs have to be bathed & dried (usually that morning) and 110% knot free. Most places you're allowed to have the sanitary shaved, and the pads of the feet (NOT the toes!) already done, as well as the nails done and ears cleaned. All that is just the prep work. You get judged on your prep! The judges will go over the dog with a fine tooth comb and you'll loose points for not having them 110% ready to go. You then have a time limit, which depends on the dog breed/size and class you're in. (ie a hand stripped terrier class will have a much longer time limit than a clippered terrier class! Toy poodles have a lesser time limit than standards, etc) and away you go. Everyone in your class is around you, all on your own tables, grooming. Spectators are watching and commenting to each other (scary!) as you groom, and you'll get warnings as your time is running out.

It's scary but awesome. I was nervous a little at first, but once I got the OK to start, I got lost in the grooming, and it wasn't any different than my normal dog grooming. I don't remember the spectators at all! lol.

·
Registered
741 Posts
there are quite a fue comps a year in england i try and get to as many as possible ive competed at 3 this year alone...

i recently won best juniour group winner at the british dog grooming championships and i also qualifed for crufts ykc young groomer of the year.... by winning first in my age group the 18 to 24 yr olds

i also won 1st place at one of the other comps

heres some pics of me competeing

also some links to comps in this country

http://www.petcare.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=699&Itemid=157

http://englishgroomersgroup.co.uk/v2/Table/Image-Galleries/

Attachments

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OMG how fun! That looks like so much fun. I can't believe you are timed that might make me nervous at first but you are right you do get lost in the grooming. I do that with my own dog at home. I need to find a really good groomer and see if I can just watch sometimes for free help.:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts