Poodle Forum banner

Are supplements necessary?

3K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  ChristmasPoodle2018 
#1 ·
Clark's food is very high quality with many supplements added. The food is also a natural source of other vitamins.

I would like to give Clark a supplement as soon as he is old enough. I would use Dogzymes Complete. I'm just not sure if a supplement is necessary given his health and diet.

What do you think?

#5 ·
If you are feeding a calorically adequate and nutritionally complete diet to a healthy dog I would not waste money on such a supplement. Use the money to go take a trick dog class or buy a nice toy.

Reactions: Viking Queen
#6 ·
Remember many vitamins are water soluble. Extra vitamins turn into expensive piddle. So, you would literally be p*ssing away money.

Catherine says to use the money for a tricks class or buy toys.
Click says get some treats and a clicker.
What else could CP get?

#8 ·
The only supplements I feed is salmon oil from time to time. If you already have a wholesome diet, you don’t need the supplements. The excess will not get absorbed and flushed out of the system which is a bit wasteful. But I totally get reason why you are curious about supplements especially when you just got your poodle. I was also extra careful about Lucky’s food when I first got him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#11 ·
Wow that's impressive! What do you feed your babies?

The only supplements I feed is salmon oil from time to time. If you already have a wholesome diet, you don’t need the supplements. The excess will not get absorbed and flushed out of the system which is a bit wasteful. But I totally get reason why you are curious about supplements especially when you just got your poodle. I was also extra careful about Lucky’s food when I first got him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Great point about vitamins being flushed out!

Not necessary if feeding a good quality food.

Use the money saved for a nice warm winter coat or booties, since you are somewhere on the frozen tundra, eh?
Hahahaha yeah! That's why we're using pee pads for now.
Clark already has booties and a Canada Pooch coat. :wink:

Remember many vitamins are water soluble. Extra vitamins turn into expensive piddle. So, you would literally be p*ssing away money.

Catherine says to use the money for a tricks class or buy toys.
Click says get some treats and a clicker.
What else could CP get?
He already has so many toys. Spoiled boy!

If you are feeding a good, complete food adding supplements is likely to do more harm than good - there are several vitamins etc that can be dangerous in excess.
I didn't even think of the danger! Thanks so much.

If you are feeding a calorically adequate and nutritionally complete diet to a healthy dog I would not waste money on such a supplement. Use the money to go take a trick dog class or buy a nice toy.
Based on the great advice that I have received here, I don't think that I will bother with the supplement after all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.