Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My little poppy is nearly 5 months and I really couldn’t have asked for a better little pup.

I an still struggling with leaving her as we are in lockdown but am working on a plan everyday that varies the time so hopefully will get there.
When do I know if progress is being made? Is this when she stops crying whenever I leave?

Because I was wondering are some dogs just more vocal/crying. She whimpers if I don’t give her food quick enough, whimpers to go to the toilet,if she’s thirsty, if she wants to be picked up, if we don’t get out the house quick enough when we go for a walk, when we stop the car. Basically anytime she wants something and isn’t getting it quick enough she will whimper.

Will that stop or is that just who she is? Has anyone else had this?

·
Super Moderator
9,003 Posts
Aw, she’s still just a tiny baby. :)

Peggy was a demand barker, but the process of addressing it is the same: Reward for silence.

The moment Poppy stops whimpering, reward her with whatever she wants most in that moment. Teach her that silence = good things. Whimpering = nothing. Slowly increase the duration of her silence by delaying the reward slightly. This could be as little as a second to start.

If she’s whimpering as you leave the house, that tells me you need to slow your separation anxiety protocol down.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aw, she’s still just a tiny baby. :)

Peggy was a demand barker, but the process of addressing it is the same: Reward for silence.

The moment Poppy stops whimpering, reward her with whatever she wants most in that moment. Teach her that silence = good things. Whimpering = nothing. Slowly increase the duration of her silence by delaying the reward slightly. This could be as little as a second to start.

If she’s whimpering as you leave the house, that tells me you need to slow your separation anxiety protocol down.
Oh really 🙈 she whimpers when I go to the bathroom (help me)

·
Super Moderator
9,003 Posts
Just a baby who doesn’t know what to do with herself. :) I literally went out of sight for seconds at a time to start. But once you can do that successfully, the rest can go much more quickly. I started by getting Peggy in the habit of being tethered just out of reach, and I always made this the most wonderful thing for her, with a special chew that I’d built anticipation for prior to tethering. Then I’d just do chores—in and out of sight so quickly she hardly noticed and definitely didn’t care. She was too busy!

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Can you teach her a different way to ask for things?
For example, Annie believes sitting will get her practically anything she wants. She has a tendency to be quite vocal, so teaching her to ask politely has been key.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts