Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if my spoos are abnormally tiny. Im not sure how much they weigh but Mercury is 23inches and Jupiter is 20inches. They are now 6 months old. Ive never seen as small a spoo as Jupiter is, he's tiny. I assume they wont grow much taller, if any, at this age. My last spoo was 27inches and a little over 60lbs.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
at only 6 months old they still have some growing to do, but it won't be massive amounts probably. Perhaps as much as an inch or so though, but spread over the next 6 months! But yes, 20" tall is a lil spoo (though a wonderful size!), but 23" is about average, though on the smaller side of average I wouldn't call him small! I'd say they will both get a bit taller still...

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it commor to have such a big size difference in littermates? Not only is Jup 3in shorter than Merc but at least 10lbs smaller as well. Their parents are both a little over 50lbs but I don't know how tall they are although they looked about the same height.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Is it commor to have such a big size difference in littermates? Not only is Jup 3in shorter than Merc but at least 10lbs smaller as well. Their parents are both a little over 50lbs but I don't know how tall they are although they looked about the same height.
It's not uncommon.

I believe late last year, someone posted pics of two littermates about 5-6" in difference height wise

They'll probably grow 2-3 inches more.
I know our Dobe has grown about 3" since six months

·
Registered
875 Posts
I was wondering if my spoos are abnormally tiny. Im not sure how much they weigh but Mercury is 23inches and Jupiter is 20inches. They are now 6 months old. Ive never seen as small a spoo as Jupiter is, he's tiny. I assume they wont grow much taller, if any, at this age. My last spoo was 27inches and a little over 60lbs.
I personally like small spoodles

My biggest is 50 lbs but its mostly muscle, hes built like a tank! Im not sure how tall he is though

My bitches are 20 and 22 inches and weigh 33-37 lbs usually

I was worried at first, but I have grown to like the more "portable" standards

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
My parents had 7 children... My 3 brothers are between 5'7" and 5'11". My 3 sisters are between 5'3" and 5'5"... *I* am 5" nuthin!!! We have the same parents, but for some reason my genes got the "short" end of the stick!! I'm living proof that it's totally possible for littermates to be slightly different in size...

Further, my daughter's spoo Meau is approximately 20" at 16 months and Lucy is approximately 20" at 5 months... (these girls are not related)

I'm guessing Meau is mostly finished with her growing and Lucy will surpass her soon... We like Meau's size and I'm sure Lucy will be around an average spoo size when she's finished growing, too!

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Yes Plumcrazy...I would say it will not be long until Princess Lucybug is looking down on Meau's pretty brown head, even though Lucy herself is not going to be a huge Spoo.

Gene pools are interesting. My Mom was 5'7" and my Dad about 5"11". I am 5'11" and my brother is 6'5". This goes back to my maternal grandmother's bloodlines, where there are a lot of Dutch, big boned, tall, solid people back there. Dainty and fragile I will NEVER be.Thank you Grandma!! So, one of these fellows could be taking after one side of the pedigree, while the other boy is taking after the other half. Sometimes you get pups who seem to be the perfect mixture of both pedigrees. Ya' never know...

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Do you all think that non-spoo owners think that spoos are supposed to be HUGE dogs? Like near dane size or something? :doh:
I swear, people area always telling me how tiny Flip is at 23 inches!

·
Registered
109 Posts
My Ginger is only about 22 inches but her brother and littermate Chili is 29 inches so there can be a big difference. When my friend and I would take them out together when they were pups people didn't believe they were from the same litter lol.

I love Gingers smaller size for grooming. I groomed Chili and boy what a lot of dog to groom, just getting him up and down from the table was a challenge. :)

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
From what I have seen of the litters we have looked at, it seems more common for there to be size differences in the litters. I have wondered if it is because the poodle is "the same" no matter what size right down to the toy size (unlike other breeds that have toy versions which have different breed standards) and thus the genes have a large ration of size possibilities. NOT saying that a Standard would be small like a toy, just that they are all the same in structure and if a Mini is going to be larger than Mini, then it "becomes" a Standard, if a Toy is going to be larger than a Toy, then it "becomes" a Mini.

In most breeds I have worked with, there is a breed minimum/maximum size that is in a 2 inch variance, so, like with my Dobies, a bitch is 24-26 and a dog 26-28. (I will NOT get into the HUGE dogs that they bred for a while and were in the ring... a pet peeve of mine! If I wanted a Rottie I'd get Rottie not a Dobie) The line I worked with, the bitches invariably were 25-26 and the dogs around the 28 mark. With poodles, if a mini X mini produces over sized minis, then they would be called a standard, albeit on the smaller side. So, the gene pool is variable in the height department.

At 6 months of age, your dogs could still grow 2 -3 inches, but should grow some, I wouldn't hold my breath on your 20 inch one growing 6 more inches though...lol. Billy, Spoo's boy, grew more than 2 inches after 6 months old, he was shorter than his sister Grace for the longest time, then all of a sudden, when he was about 10 - 11 months old, he put on more than 2 inches and is taller than her now. There is so much at play with growth. Some stop at 6-7 months and don't get any taller, some slow down or stop for a few months then suddenly spurt up, some mature fast, some mature slow. It could be that your boy will grow another 3 inches, only time will tell.

And, if anyone is looking for a smaller or larger adult from a pup, don't think because the parents are smaller or the parents are larger, that you would have that size. Spoospirit's Taffy is out of tall parents (in the 27 plus height), my Ivy (and her brother Gorky who is on this forum) is out of shorter parents in the 25ish. Ivy is almost 2 months younger than Taffy, yet she is taller than Taffy and is going to be a big girl. Gorky is also a big boy! Now, Taffy may get a growth spurt and shoot up, but at about 11 months old, she is not as tall as Ivy is now at just about 9 months.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I think alot of people are used to seeing really big poodles in general. I dont know how many 20 pound "teacup" poodles I groom LOL, as I said before my youngest standard is right around 35 ish pounds at 15 months.

Lately there has been a trend toward very large and very small dogs, and sadly, people are not used to seeing well bred dogs, so when one is "normal" it turns heads.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Ivy is almost 8 months old and is 24-25 inches and I'm guessing weighs 38-40 lbs. She was 37 last I checked a month ago.
She's still growing, and I think she'll be on the bigger side. She definitely has some weight to gain, but that will come as she matures.

·
Registered
562 Posts
So i guess Mister is average...he is 24 inches and 48 pounds. I like the more dainty Spoos....the huge ones throw me off since Mister isnt like that lol.

They're all gorgeous either way.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I personally like small spoodles

My biggest is 50 lbs but its mostly muscle, hes built like a tank! Im not sure how tall he is though

My bitches are 20 and 22 inches and weigh 33-37 lbs usually

I was worried at first, but I have grown to like the more "portable" standards
Not to mention, remember Amber Kiara was 7 months when I got her from you and you thought she was going to be small, smaller then Jamie and look at the growth spurt she went through after her first birthday. They grow in spurts, and if they are that tall at 6 months, give them some more time, they will catch up with the rest of the spoos!

·
Registered
51 Posts
MY SPOO IS A "TINY TOT" AS WELL!! I tried to convince PetSmart to charge less for grooming since she is not quite as large as a standard is supposed to be (they didnt go for it). But I'll tell you what, I absolutely love her size! makes her a wonderfully large lap dog and she fits comfortably next to me in bed :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Wow, I'm jealous! 27" is huge for a Spoo. :)
Haha, I just like dogs to be enormous. My family's dog was a 125 lb Bernese mountain dog (she was actually huge for a Berner, a total fluke). We never measured her, but when standing normally, her back was roughly the height of a doorknob. She could set her chin on the kitchen counter without stretching!

But I digress. I've been told that 23"-25" is average for an American Spoo. Flash is 26" and 52 lbs, and people are constantly telling me he's the biggest Spoo they've ever seen.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts