Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never used a crate with any of my other dogs. Of course, they were all very small poodles. I am getting a standard poodle puppy in a few weeks and I see that a lot of people use them. I was planning on using my laundry room as "her room" while she is potty training. It would also serve as a no kids zone so that she would have her own down time. Would this work?

Thanks!

Kim

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
yes. yes and yes. crates are absolutely necessary.

Edited to add: You need a LARGE crate with a divider so that you can section off an appropriately sized area as your puppy grows. This will help tremendously with potty training. Not to mention it will keep your puppy safe from chewing when you cannot watch her.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
OMG a dog who is properly crate trained is so much easier for MANY things. I have one dog i can't crate and he is the Biggest PITA to deal with when it comes to travelling, visiting friends/family, having house sitters, going to dog events (agility flyball etc)

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Crates are never necessary, they're great confinement tools, as is an x-pen or puppy proof room. As long as your pup won't be able to reach any clothing, detergent, cords, etc. in the laundry room, it will work the same way as a crate. The only issues I could see is that your pup may have too much room, and may eliminate in one area and have the rest of the area to play and sleep. That's the real bonus of the crate. The small space prevents pups from eliminating in there, as they won't want to sleep in their pee/poop (unless the pup knows no different like pet store or puppy mill pups).
If the laundry room is large, I would recommend getting an x-pen and cordoning off an area of the room for the pup.

Edit to add: Both my boys were crate trained as pups, but as soon as they were able to be trusted in the house, we have never used them again. With any future puppies, I'll use an x-pen. I find crates are too confining for more than an hour at a time. I think crate training can definitely come in handy (for travelling and such) but I would not say it's necessary.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Absolutely necessary. In your dog's lifetime, will he ever have to fly? Will he ever have to spend the night at the vets? Crate training is a lifelong skill.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Love my crates and all four of my crate trained dogs!! A very, very nice skill for a dog. When trained correctly, the crate actually becomes a preferred place for them when they want to chill.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
It would be a rare puppy indeed, a rare puppy of any breed who, left alone in a laundry room, wouldn't decide to poop and pee in one corner and then go to another spot to lie down. And the fact that there was poop and/or pee somewhere in there wouldn't bother the dog. The thing that they really hate is having to sit in their own excrement. They really don't like that.

The idea of the crate with the divider is that they have enough room to turn around, but not enough room to poop or pee and then get away from it. So you start off with a small crate when the puppy is small, but you move the divided as the puppy gets bigger.

Another thing, as someone mentioned, if you need to take the dog somewhere like a hotel or visiting friends and it has never been in a crate - its like trying to get a bucking bronco into the crate!!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Agreed, I think a crate is a fantastic tool. It means you can always have a "home" wherever you take your dog. I find my puppy sleeps better in the crate than anywhere else, he sleeps longer and better.

Also they are more confined/ less likely to be destructive in a crate. I took my eyes off Darcy for less than 5 minutes the other day, and found him in the bathroom peeling the drywall off the wall! (My baseboards are being replaced so it was easy for him to get a grip). He is also a fan of chewing baseboards. If I left him in a laundry room I dread to think what state I would eventually find it in...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info. I am looking at crates. What size would I need for a standard size poodle. Which crates are the best........metal, soft side, hard side etc.

We go to my mother in laws once a month for the weekend so the crate would be really helpful there.

I will look into more information on using the crate for potty training.

I know to feed several times a day and not to free feed. I just feel kinda bad about her being in there and not drinking water immediately if she gets thirsty.:(

How long should you leave them in there at a time? I am a sahm so I am home pretty much all day except for errands which I try to do away from kids on the weekend when my husband watches them.

Thanks!

Kim

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cdnjennga--oh wow!!! I think I am going to be in for some big surprises going from very small dogs to a large dog. :eek:hwell:

·
Registered
644 Posts
we actually have a water dish that attaches to the crate so Fozzie can drink at night or when we have to crate him for long periods (like going to the theatre). We try never to crate him for more than 4 hours at a time, and take him for a long walk before and after. if it's going to be more than four hours right now, we don't do the activity or we take him to doggie day care. We allow water and we also give him kong or a big new bone too so it's not so bad fo rhim.

He loves his crate at night and insists on going on there, he even makes sure I have closed the locks right. I cover his crate and he zzzzz all night, never even whimpers or cries. He sleeps 8-10 hours a night which believe me when he was younger was a great relief to me. I tried keeping him out of the crate one night and didn'tsleep a wink!

crates are, iMHO, absolutely necessary for those moments when you can't watch him, or for time outs when he's acting really hyper. we would time out with him for 15-30 minutes. Early on we crated him during our meals but now he is trained not to beg at dinner.

I'd have lost my mind without the crate.

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
Yes that would be good. I have one almost identical to that except mine only has one door. You could even get the next size up if you wanted - but that depends how tall your poodle will be.

For being in the crate, the general rule of thumb is about 1 hour for each month they are in age. So an 8 week puppy can hold their bladder for approximately 2 hours, give or take. Every puppy is different. You will gradually increase the time spent in the crate.

Keep in mind that a puppy will do everything possible to not soil its crate, but if it is left in its crate for longer than it can physically hold its bladder, it will have no choice but to unhappily potty.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
As a groomer, I wish more owners crate trained their dogs. It allows the dogs to be calmer while drying in a kennel, or waiting for their owners to come pick them up. You can tell which dogs aren't crate trained because they don't stop scratching the sites or barking the. whole. time. they're. there.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I have one dog who doesn't need a crate, one who I kind of trust to be out when no one is there, and one that I cannot trust.

TQ has run of the house when I am gone. She doesn't potty inside, and doesn't tear anything up. I just have to make sure I don't leave out food. Tate is my iffy - I trust him, but I'm not sure I trust TQ to not annoy him the whole time. And, well... last time thegrey was left to his own devices in the house he ate half of a fire log. (It was not pretty coming back out.)

I think crates are a wonderful tool if used correctly and the dog isn't confined to the crate more than necessary. I have wire crates for all of my dogs (in addition to a small plastic one for Tate and the cat), and the two that actually use theirs enjoy going in for quiet time on their own.

As for water, my dogs have what looks like giant gerbil water bottles - made for dogs, of course. They can drink when they want.

Definitely look into using the crate for potty training. My family has used crates for potty training for as long as I can remember. Puppy goes out on leash, "go potty, go potty, go potty", if they do potty, they get "out" time in the house... if they don't, they go in the crate for 10 minutes or so, then you take them back out and encourage them to potty. They go in the crate every time they don't potty, and once they do go outside, they get rewarded for doing their business outside. Puppies catch on fast. (For my dogs, I say "go pee" and then they all pee... then I say "go poop" and they all go poop. It's crazy what they get!)

EDIT: Hope that rambling reply made sense. I just now re-read it. Yikes!

Edited to say, however... TQ and Tate have figured out how to open their wire crates with their noses and paws, so I bought a "backpack" combo lock that I leave with the combination in all the time (it is karabiner style... I just couldn't find a karabiner at the time, one would suffice though!). I loop it near the lock where the door latches to the frame... that way they can't break each other out and they can't break themselves out.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts

That crate is fine. It has good airflow. Problems? You can't fly a dog in it. It does not give a puppy enough privacy so you may have to drape a blanket over the top (and then the puppies like to chew on the blanket).

I use the airline approved crates for my home needs. I have a collapsable crate for travel.

·
Registered
644 Posts
cbrand is so right! we bought a wire crate like that, then ended up buying an airline crate and then a collapsible travel crate. in a city apartment that's big pain.

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
we actually have a water dish that attaches to the crate so Fozzie can drink at night or when we have to crate him for long periods (like going to the theatre). We try never to crate him for more than 4 hours at a time, and take him for a long walk before and after. if it's going to be more than four hours right now, we don't do the activity or we take him to doggie day care. We allow water and we also give him kong or a big new bone too so it's not so bad fo rhim.

He loves his crate at night and insists on going on there, he even makes sure I have closed the locks right. I cover his crate and he zzzzz all night, never even whimpers or cries. He sleeps 8-10 hours a night which believe me when he was younger was a great relief to me. I tried keeping him out of the crate one night and didn'tsleep a wink!

crates are, iMHO, absolutely necessary for those moments when you can't watch him, or for time outs when he's acting really hyper. we would time out with him for 15-30 minutes. Early on we crated him during our meals but now he is trained not to beg at dinner.

I'd have lost my mind without the crate.
Personally, I wouldn't give the puppy water while in the crate. Inevitably, if the puppy drinks, it will have to pee. I would give water on a schedule. That way you can let the puppy go potty about 30 minutes after drinking.

Once your dog is older and has better bladder control, that is a different story.

You don't have to use the crate forever. Henry hasn't been in a crate since he was ten months old. (Probably should have been in one longer..he ate quite a few plants in the house..)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts