Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dima is now 2 and half years old and her color is light apricot.

I was giving her a bath today and noticed that she is getting more and more dark apricot/red hair in her coat.

Is this normal ? I thought they would only get lighter in color as they grow older.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
My pups begin their lives about the colour of a brown paper bag. As the weeks go on until they leave, they are definately red. They continue to darken until they are about 15 months old. I will post a few photos of Betty-Jo and you can see the transition. I think it depends on what her ancestors did. THAT is good news for me!!!

These photos are at about two and a half weeks, seven weeks, ten weeks, nine months and eighteen months.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
How old is your dog ?

It depends on the dogs genetics really, Most reds fade same with apricots. IMO your girl is cream.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Good plan. IMO she is a light apricot.
when you breed Quincy to your red girls you should get some nice light apricots Dima is very light and I think most people in USA would call her cream too. I was looking at her pedigree and saw one dog that is really an apricot.

usually creams have darker ears like Dimas also.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
I suspect that bred to our girls because of their colouring and background, and Dima's strong apricot background (which also has some reds, but red was not a recognized colour in Europe then) that we will have some blacks, some apricots and some decent reds. Some of Dima's photos show her to be as nicde apricot as I have seen in the ring in North America. Others she looks very light. I guess we'll see in a couple of years.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I suspect that bred to our girls because of their colouring and background, and Dima's strong apricot background (which also has some reds, but red was not a recognized colour in Europe then) that we will have some blacks, some apricots and some decent reds. Some of Dima's photos show her to be as nicde apricot as I have seen in the ring in North America. Others she looks very light. I guess we'll see in a couple of years.
yeah for the allele for whites , creams, apricots and reds do not work the way you think. I looked at a few in the pedigree some of her ancestors where super light cream. If most of her ancestors where deep apricot then I could see some reds coming out or deep apricots.

you just going to have to breed back to red to get color back, this is why most red breeders don't want to breed in other colors like blacks who carry creams or whites and light apricots you loose color and $$$ ( for the bad red breeders anyways lol )

here is an apricot IMO and she is light too
http://www.apricotgold.net/Lola.htm

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I too think Dima is NOT apricot?? Sure she was a very deep cream as a pup (http://www.poodleforum.com/3-poodle-pictures/7270-dima-two-months-old.html) verging on apricot I suppose, but she's sooooo not apricot now, she's just a deep cream.. ??
http://www.poodleforum.com/5-poodle-talk/5461-puppies-here.html
http://www.poodleforum.com/3-poodle-pictures/4887-not-best-angle.html

Those pics you posted Arreau, all look apricot to me, the first one is an alterted/inaccurate photo for colour anyway (contrast is way up, if you dull it down to a a more normal pic, it looks apricot for sure!) The middle one is hard to tell with the lighting, though THAT one could be a faded red as the tone isn't as yellow..? The last pic is a light apricot though (which is still much darker than Dima looks in her adult pics I've seen??)

Jaks girl Saffy has been getting darker lately too, and is now a really dark cream especially along her back. Doesn't make her apricot. ;)

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Thanks FD. It really makes no difference to me. I am thrilled ot have him with the black ancestry in his father's lines and the apricot and red in his mother's lines. The pedgree is good for what my goals are.

Sorry Winnow that this went astray.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry Winnow that this went astray.
No problem

I in some ways agree with Roxy and FD but in FCI we don't have anything called cream so maybe breeders in Europe are breeding dogs that maybe are more cream in your eyes but in our eyes are apricot.

But in the question I did not need to know the color of Dima :)
I was wondering if it is normal that they get darker as they get older?

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
No problem

I in some ways agree with Roxy and FD but in FCI we don't have anything called cream so maybe breeders in Europe are breeding dogs that maybe are more cream in your eyes but in our eyes are apricot.

But in the question I did not need to know the color of Dima :)
I was wondering if it is normal that they get darker as they get older?
As I said, with our pups, they most ceretainly do get darker ad they get older.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
hehe, and as I said Jaks girl Saffy, who is 5 now, has been getting darker this year as well. She was a pale cream similar to Dima, but is now a deep yellowy colour!!! We do think it could be the food she was on though too...

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hehe, and as I said Jaks girl Saffy, who is 5 now, has been getting darker this year as well. She was a pale cream similar to Dima, but is now a deep yellowy colour!!! We do think it could be the food she was on though too...
Was it full of carrots :p

1 - 20 of 22 Posts