Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my poodle friends!
Our puppy has been born, it is a mix from a cavapooxpoodle.
The mom is blendheim cavapoo (white with redbrown spots) and the father a red poodle. The parents from the mom are a blendheim mother with tricolor influences and a white poodle with chocolate brown ears. The parents from the dad are both red. Now our litter has been born! And it is a color bomb haha. Two male, one a red, one apricot. But the girl is cream or a very light apricot, that changes in every lightning with 2 with paws. It almost looks like she has a bit of a silver shine to her coat. She has gotten a bit darker in 2 weeks (they are only 2 weeks old haha), but we are wondering. Is it possible that when she ages she will fade? Or is it possible she will fade to white over time?

The litter from last year (same parents) had also a quite light one, but she got darker when she got 1 year old. Now she is a light apricot. I added pictures. Wonder what you think:) Her head is also a bit darker then her body.

THANK YOUUUU

·
Registered
Winnie 10/24/20 standard poodle
89 Posts
Someone will come along with a great genetics response but speaking from our experience so far our girl was much darker as a newborn with even darker ears. Her dad is a cream with brown nose and mom is white with black nose. Winnie at 14 weeks is cream with darker ears and darker stripe down her back with brown nose, pads and white/ clear nails. We assume she will lighten more but hope she keeps the darker ears. All of this to say that even her breeder didn't know for sure where she would end up color wise. We're excited to see!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your reactions. Wondering if someone had a puppy with this color coat and what it turned out to be :)

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
She's adorable! As Dechi said, it's really hard to tell because of mixing. We're pretty good here about poodle genetics, but I don't know if anyone is also an expert on Cavaliers. Whatever she grows up to be, she's delightfully cute!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She's adorable! As Dechi said, it's really hard to tell because of mixing. We're pretty good here about poodle genetics, but I don't know if anyone is also an expert on Cavaliers. Whatever she grows up to be, she's delightfully cute!
Thank you :) haha, she is 75% poodle but i understand its difficult. But if the parents do not have a "fading" gene. Is it possible to fade to white?

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
Your breeder is probably your best bet on what to expect. A poodle wouldn't fade to white, but I don't know about Cavaliers. She's already lighter than a poodle with red genetics, and I can't say how much lighter she'll become.

Even though she's 75% poodle, she's not going to follow standard poodle color genetics. There are a lot of genes at work to create dog coat colors and patterns, and any hybridizing - even 75/25 - can affect those colors and patterns in surprising ways. Just one example: breeds tend to be homogeneous at certain genes - that's how they standardize traits in a breed - so when you start mixing breeds, you introduce heterogeneity, opening up those genes in unpredictable ways. It'll be fun to follow!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your breeder is probably your best bet on what to expect. A poodle wouldn't fade to white, but I don't know about Cavaliers. She's already lighter than a poodle with red genetics, and I can't say how much lighter she'll become.

Even though she's 75% poodle, she's not going to follow standard poodle color genetics. There are a lot of genes at work to create dog coat colors and patterns, and any hybridizing - even 75/25 - can affect those colors and patterns in surprising ways. Just one example: breeds tend to be homogeneous at certain genes - that's how they standardize traits in a breed - so when you start mixing breeds, you introduce heterogeneity, opening up those genes in unpredictable ways. It'll be fun to follow!
Thank you! cavaliers do not fade at all, or only slightly what i now. Black cavaliers remain black an brown/ruby remain that color. Only fading gene can come from poodle coat I think? It will be fun to find out :D

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
What you say is possible, but what that means is that Cavaliers are fixed at that site (not that Cavs don't have that gene - they're homogenous for a non-fading allele), and by crossing with a poodle, you then create the possibility of heterogeneity at that site. And of course, that site is just one of several scores of sites that affect color and pattern. It gets complicated really quickly when you start mixing breeds, because you can't look at what happens in one breed or the other - you've created a completely new set of interactions that won't follow the genetics of either breed.

If you're really interested in doing the math and calculating different probabilities, the Veterinary Genetics Lab is a great place to start.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
edit: we saw the whole family tree and there are no fading genes. In both the poodles and cavaliers.

·
Registered
509 Posts
it will be hard to predict, you will just have to watch her grow.

Do you have photos of the parents?

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
She certainly is a cute puppy but I agree its hard to determine what a mix breed puppy will look like when grown. In any event I am sure she will be lovely.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I just came to see puppy pictures.

Also, one factor to keep in the back of your mind is that the end of her hair could get sun damage and make her new growth coat appear darker heading into the warmer season as her hair grows out.

Puppy Basil came to me in June and by October there was a noticable color gradient... We spent a lot of time outside. Not that it mattered to me, but it was an interesting observation and it sounds like it really matters to you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts