Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Just wondering, is it possible to have Toy apricot pups and black pups in the same litter? One black parent, one red parent.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Yes, I believe it is possible. Apricot is recessive, so you will only have this occur if your black parent is a carrier for apricot. You would get 50% chance of black and 50% chance of apricot.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
That's absolutely correct, Raindrops. One other thought - you do not want to see any brown dogs in an apricot's pedigree because that can result in an apricot with a brown nose and eyerims which is not desirable. Of course, a black dog can carry a brown gene. All this is to say that knowledgeable breeders will check back several generations for color as well as for health conditions before committing to a breeding.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Yes. As long as the black parent is not dominant black you can get both colours in a litter. And brown in the background is not ideal, as Johanna said, but if the parents are colour tested and neither carries brown, pigment should be fine.

·
Registered
127 Posts
My current guy is an apricot from a black and apricot litter and my last girl was black from a black and (one) apricot litter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts