Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that go to the dog park, what do you consider inappropriate?

I consider dogs jumping on people or other dogs not good.

What about dogs charging? Suri does great but she is really FAST! Luckily not many people are at the park lately but if there was I am worried she could run into people. How could I tone this down some? Although the park I go to is nice and roomy if you have a leash on even 10 ft away from the entrance there are people yelling to take the leash off the other dogs do not like it.........Theres nothing in the rules about this.:eek:hwell: Anyway, they love it there and Olie is "in training" so I plan to continue going. I just don't know how people feel about this.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I don't know about other people but I sure don't wear anything too exciting when I go to the park least I get foot prints. I don't really appreciate dogs jumping on me but hey it happens. As far as the rest of it I think it becomes inappropriate when it affects other people and or their dog's enjoyment of the park. I've been there a couple times when one dog gets somewhat aggressive. Other times I've had a dog insist on mounting my dogs repeatedly. They didn't appreciate it nor did I especially when the owner didn't correct the behaviour.

As for speed I think its great the dogs get a safe place to really run and I enjoy seeing them all having a blast.

When I've had things happening with my dogs I didn't like i went to a quiet end of the park to get them settled for a while.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
That's one of those traits about poodles, they like to jump up on a person. Harry does this when new people come into the house and I won't let him. They just want to smell a new person and getting closer to the mouth is the way to go. I think just work on the "off" command so that you don't get her jumping on people and then let her run loose.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
As the owner of a dog that jumps on people... let me just say... we're sorry. We're just as embarrassed as you are upset. If I could GET TheQueen to stop jumping, I would. Even better, if I could get her to stop jumping ON PEOPLE, that would be even better. She's a terrier mix with springs for lets, so her jumping comes as naturally as her walking.

I'll also take this moment to apologize for all the other people who have dogs like TheQueen who insist on weaseling their way into your game of fetch. Again, If I could get her to stop, I would. I even went out and bought my own chuckit. I bring my own tennis balls. It doesn't matter. She enjoys a competitive game of fetch.

Other than that... I HATE it when people bring OBVIOUSLY aggressive dogs to the park. They make me worry the entire time that my annoying terrier is going to p*ss them off and they'll snap at her and she'll get mad and defend herself and a fight will start. I also hate it when people bring dogs with HIGH prey drives to the park where there isn't a "small dog park" as well, then get all huffy when someone asks them to watch their dog. I had someone bring in a german shephard one time that wanted to kill every little dog at the park... but the owner got in a shouting argument with someone else when they asked them to take their dog away and perhaps bring it back when the park was less crowded. IF you know your dog is bad with other dogs, big or small, come at a different time.

I understand prey drives. I have a greyhound and my mother currently has three. Memphis would kill a little dog out at the park, it's just in him to chase. My mom doesn't take him to the park when there are little dogs. If she drives by and there are, she turns around. If someone starts to come in that has a tiny dog, she usually politely asks them to wait while she gathers him up so that he won't immediately go after the small dog... then leaves.

To this day, Memphis and Perry have not met face to face unless one of them was in a crate. Because we aren't dumb and we don't want to tempt fate.

TQ is the embarrassing dog at the park. And I've come to realize it. I've tried for two years now to get her to stop jumping to no avail. It's just in her, lol, so I'm sorry for everyone with pups like her. But you can't get too mad, she's having a blast, and she eventually leaves you alone and runs off to go play chase.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks - I confused my post - jeez cough medicine is kicking in:wacko:

The charging was what I was worried about. She doesn't jump on people (Olie does - but thats still the pup in progress)

She can run really fast and sometimes there are a lot of people there and I want to be sure I am not allowing something thats not in the norm at a DP, you know:) - -

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As the owner of a dog that jumps on people... let me just say... we're sorry. We're just as embarrassed as you are upset. If I could GET TheQueen to stop jumping, I would. Even better, if I could get her to stop jumping ON PEOPLE, that would be even better. She's a terrier mix with springs for lets, so her jumping comes as naturally as her walking.

I'll also take this moment to apologize for all the other people who have dogs like TheQueen who insist on weaseling their way into your game of fetch. Again, If I could get her to stop, I would. I even went out and bought my own chuckit. I bring my own tennis balls. It doesn't matter. She enjoys a competitive game of fetch.

Other than that... I HATE it when people bring OBVIOUSLY aggressive dogs to the park. They make me worry the entire time that my annoying terrier is going to p*ss them off and they'll snap at her and she'll get mad and defend herself and a fight will start. I also hate it when people bring dogs with HIGH prey drives to the park where there isn't a "small dog park" as well, then get all huffy when someone asks them to watch their dog. I had someone bring in a german shephard one time that wanted to kill every little dog at the park... but got in a shouting argument with someone else when they asked them to take their dog away and perhaps bring it back when the park was less crowded. IF you know your dog is bad with other dogs, big or small, come at a different time.

I understand prey drives. I have a greyhound and my mother currently has three. Memphis would kill a little dog out at the park, it's just in him to chase. My mom doesn't take him to the park when there are little dogs. If she drives by and there are, she turns around. If someone starts to come in that has a tiny dog, she usually politely asks them to wait while she gathers him up so that he won't immediately go after the small dog... then leaves.

To this day, Memphis and Perry have not met face to face unless one of them was in a crate. Because we aren't dumb and we don't want to tempt fate.

TQ is the embarrassing dog at the park. And I've come to realize it. I've tried for two years now to get her to stop jumping to no avail. It's just in her, lol, so I'm sorry for everyone with pups like her. But you can't get too mad, she's having a blast, and she eventually leaves you alone and runs off to go play chase.
I HATE the very things you spoke of! We had one last weekend but the owner put his dog in a cesar move and they left the park. It seemed like he had Suri in mind as soon as we walked in..........I was afraid for a minute. I am fine with Pits - and it was a pretty one too - but it was thick and mad and likely should not have been in there yet....

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I think everyone is ready to be ran into by a dog at some point... if you're not on your toes at the DP, you kind of deserve it! I mean, it is, afterall a dog park. For FUN.

I don't see anyone yelling at you for your dog zooming. A dog is a dog, and the park is for them!

·
Registered
578 Posts
I have pretty strong opinions on dog park behavior but people will do what they do.

Lots of dogs at the park are still a work in progress. I don't think jumping on people is very nice and I don't allow it. Most people don't want their dogs to do it either. But sometimes they have puppies without alot of self control. I always give a very firm No!, no matter whose dog and a GoodDog! if they stop. One of the problems new owners always have is that the dog learns not to jump on them but doesn't carry it over to strangers. I feel like I'm doing a favor to the owner and I have never had one complaint.

Most dogparkers are dog lovers and understand young dogs can be wild and somewhat out of control when free. What I do have a problem with is aggression or overly exuberant play (when they pick on a dog that obviously is terrorized). In my opinion these dogs should leave the park immediately.

Sometimes my Hoot gets too worked up in a game of chase and will tackle or grab at a dog while going full speed. This sometime ends up with a pretty rough tumble and some yelping. At this point Hoot goes home. If he gets so worked up that he refuses to listen, he goes home. Many people tell me that it's only play and he never means real harm...but real harm can happen and he should not be allowed to think that play that rough is okay.

And whenever he gets involved in a fight (something he knows he's not allowed to do), he also gets taken home. I have never seen him start a fight but he's sure game for one if given the chance. One day another person's aggressive dog came running across the park and just jumped on him, totally unprovoked (I personally think Hoot was trash talking him - "your mother's a bitch, your father's an American Fence Jumper"). When we got them separated I immediately left. But the instigator only got a mild verbal reprimand. I just don't think that makes much of an impression on a dog. Taking away his most favorite privilege (the dog park) immediately is more effective.

Most of the time when a dog riot breaks out (happens in every park once in a while) Hoot will come to me when called even while looking longingly at the action he's missing!

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Lots of dogs at the park are still a work in progress. I don't think jumping on people is very nice and I don't allow it. Most people don't want their dogs to do it either. But sometimes they have puppies without alot of self control. I always give a very firm No!, no matter whose dog and a GoodDog! if they stop. One of the problems new owners always have is that the dog learns not to jump on them but doesn't carry it over to strangers. I feel like I'm doing a favor to the owner and I have never had one complaint
I don't enjoy people at the dog park getting on to my dog for me. Unless she is starting a fight with their dog/picking on their dog/hurting another dog in front of them. She is my dog and mine to get on to, and I'm watching her constantly. I get on to her when she jumps on people, so I don't need someone else undermining my authority with my dog by telling her "no". She probably wouldn't listen to a stranger anyway.

I see it as, I wouldn't get on to someone else's kid, so don't get on to mine. (Unless, of course, they were doing something that was going to hurt themselves and another dog/kid/youknowwhatImean.)

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
What I would consider to be inappropriate would be jumping, dominant jumping, and fighting. I wouldn't be afraid of a dog charging me, because normally they don't tackle you, they will normally veer off to the side from my experience.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You really do get a mix of people at the dog park thats for sure.

Mine are overall pretty good and have only ran into a few not so great behaviors. I just want to be sure that my dogs as well as others have a good time -SAFELY.

I wouldn't mond someone using a command on mine like no or down, or off - so long as it was not mean or hateful. If they are then I have an issue.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Things i dont tolerate at dog parks-
1. Aggression in any way even aggressive playing. Once had a BC chasing Mister and biting at him all over just because he was running. I left the dog park because the owner didnt reprimand the dog. Which i think she should of in the situtation.
2. Jumping- My dog doesnt jump on people so i EXPECT other dogs not to jump on me. Period.
3. Humping- A dog humping mine or a dog humping me. Not acceptable in any way because its a dominance thing.

I think those are the 3 main ones. I have been to a lot of dog parks and seen a lot of things. I watch Mister like a hawk. I know where he is at ALL times and call him back if he gets too far, which he usually doesnt because he wants to know where mom is.
I want to know what happens if a dog is latched onto him and i have to pull it off (true story, not fun). Or i want to know if its true if someone is accusing Mister of something or if by some crazy coincidence he is involved in a dog fight. The only way to ensure his total safety is to watch him like a hawk. A dog cant speak for themselves and need their owners to stick up for them and protect them.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I'm pretty easy-going when it comes to behaviour. As long as it is not posing a danger to anyone, and as long as it is not interfering with Mitch having fun, I don't care.

It bugs me when:
- people bring dogs that CLEARLY do not want to socialize with other dogs and snap and snarl when other dogs come near
- when a dog is being humped relentlessly and the humper's owner does not step in
- when people don't watch their dog
- when people make a big deal over my dog taking their dog's ball.

It's frustrating when people are super uptight. If you don't want to get your jeans dirty, then don't come or wear something else. It's silly to expect all dogs to stay off you.
If you pick up my dog's ball, and hold it in the air and wave it, don't be shocked if he jumps for it. If my dog steals your ball, I'll get it back, but expect that he'll likely chase after it again and if you don't like it, then put the ball away or leave.

I go to the dog park expecting to encounter young dogs. It's only natural for young dogs to get a little over excited and forget their manners (or not have manners to being with). I try to be as forgiving as possible because I know how it can be hard to be in the owner's position. It's embarrassing when your dog acts like a hooligan. It doesn't help when the other owners are far from understanding.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I'm pretty easy-going when it comes to behaviour. As long as it is not posing a danger to anyone, and as long as it is not interfering with Mitch having fun, I don't care.

It bugs me when:
- people bring dogs that CLEARLY do not want to socialize with other dogs and snap and snarl when other dogs come near
- when a dog is being humped relentlessly and the humper's owner does not step in
- when people don't watch their dog
- when people make a big deal over my dog taking their dog's ball.

It's frustrating when people are super uptight. If you don't want to get your jeans dirty, then don't come or wear something else. It's silly to expect all dogs to stay off you.
If you pick up my dog's ball, and hold it in the air and wave it, don't be shocked if he jumps for it. If my dog steals your ball, I'll get it back, but expect that he'll likely chase after it again and if you don't like it, then put the ball away or leave.

I go to the dog park expecting to encounter young dogs. It's only natural for young dogs to get a little over excited and forget their manners (or not have manners to being with). I try to be as forgiving as possible because I know how it can be hard to be in the owner's position. It's embarrassing when your dog acts like a hooligan. It doesn't help when the other owners are far from understanding.
Yay! I agree...

especially since my dog IS the hooligan at the dog park. Most people laugh it off and accept my apology, however there are those that are all snot nosed and get pissy. Sorry that my dog loves strangers and she was excited to meet you. She's had her shots and she's not gonna bite your face off. Pull the rod out and we'll all have a better time. I'm watching her, and you can bet your little butt that I already got on to her mid-jump.

---------------------------------------------

From what everyone else has said, they'd get mad at TQ for doing her norm and jumping. She doesn't maul anyone, and she isn't like a St. Bernard jumping on you... but to hear that it is just about unacceptable for my dog to jump on a stranger while at a dog park is quite eye opening.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I love going to the dog park. I never mind when dogs jump up on me, even though I won't alow my dogs to do the same, because that is what I expect at the DP. In my opinion the DP shouldn't be as rigid as a show or elseware because it's a place for the dogs to let loose (within reason) and the general population simply doesn't train their dogs to the extent that I think they should. Do I expect my dogs to not jump, to listen and be polite? Absolutely. The one thing I will get pretty upset over is agressive dogs (by the time the dog is attacking other dogs the DP is no longer the place to socialize it.) Especially when the agressive dog's owner seems to have no problem with their dog constantaly going after other dogs. I have seen them act like "gee sorry, Spot just doesn't like that dog," like it is no big deal. It certainly IS a big deal. A dog like that clears out our DP pretty darn quickly. We all watch how the agressive dog's owner handles the situation. If they take the dog out asap then no problem, however if they dont (or even just moves to a less busy section) we are out of there. I have seen one dog clear out the whole park in a matter of 15 min. I don't think moving the agressive dog further away is good enough because a dog is unpredictable and fast. It only takes a second for a fatal bite to occure. Our main DP is fairly small though. I have taken the spoo boys to the DP several times and when the other owners find out what breed they are they get nervous having my boys around their dogs. They think spoos are overly aggessive because an intact male spoo killed a chi there this summer which has given spoos a bad name. The spoo owner took off and they still haven't found them. People always seem suprised how friendly, laid back and well behaved my baby spoo boys are. They act the same way with my mini shar pei because her breed has a bad rep as well. You could not find a better behaved or downright sweet dog in the DP. Sorry, went off on a tangent. Zooming dogs belong at the DP, I wish my dogs would do that more and stick by my side a bit less when there. I'd like them to let loose and enjoy the relative freedom. All that said, I realize other people have different comfort levels while surrounded by strange dogs and expect different things. That is why I chose what I have to expect from my dogs' behavior, as well as keeping my dogs' safety a priority.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
The one thing I will get pretty upset over is agressive dogs (by the time the dog is attacking other dogs the DP is no longer the place to socialize it.) Especially when the agressive dog's owner seems to have no problem with their dog constantaly going after other dogs. I have seen them act like "gee sorry, Spot just doesn't like that dog," like it is no big deal. It certainly IS a big deal. A dog like that clears out our DP pretty darn quickly. We all watch how the agressive dog's owner handles the situation. If they take the dog out asap then no problem, however if they dont (or even just moves to a less busy section) we are out of there. I have seen one dog clear out the whole park in a matter of 15 min. I don't think moving the agressive dog further away is good enough because a dog is unpredictable and fast. It only takes a second for a fatal bite to occure.
Same at our dog park. As soon as a scuffle breaks out, depending on what the owners do, the dog park clears out pretty quickly. There's this elderly lady that brings her aggressive jack russell and min pin, and they just chase after dogs barking, snarling and nipping at their heels. Everyone just leaves. I would LIKE to tell her she should not bring her dogs, but I feel bad for "disrespecting" an elderly person.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Same at our dog park. As soon as a scuffle breaks out, depending on what the owners do, the dog park clears out pretty quickly. There's this elderly lady that brings her aggressive jack russell and min pin, and they just chase after dogs barking, snarling and nipping at their heels. Everyone just leaves. I would LIKE to tell her she should not bring her dogs, but I feel bad for "disrespecting" an elderly person.
Thats really respectful of you :D
I try and respect every older person I come into contact with ((not to many though...))

But I've found myself getting REALLY short with my neighbor
lately...especially on Elphies walks
we have a neighbor who has 2 little DEMONS that chases us from the end of this old bats yard to the end of the street
just this morning I told the lady if she doesn't keep them demons locked up between 6-9am I'd be calling the dog warden and having her precious demons taken away...((I've tried being polite but they aren't just playing they're out for BLOOD))
I really am a respectful person though... >.<

((back on topic))
I love going to the dog park, Elphaba does too
but I think there should be clear rules posted at ALL of them like
if your dog hates dogs or humans...leave it at home?

I agree with watching Elphie like a hawk though...I don't want her being accused of starting a fight or humping someone and if I'm staring her down the whole time the chances of someone blaming my dog for something won't happen :D

·
Registered
578 Posts
"She probably wouldn't listen to a stranger anyway"

I have never had a dog not back off from me when I give a good No! I do not touch others' dogs but I will not allow one to jump up on me.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I love the dog park but sometimes people can ruin it for the dogs. I agree that dogs jumping up on people even after being asked by their owners to stop can be annoying.

I was having a problem with one of mine, Dodger who kept following this lady around and not jumping on her but jumping up randomly. I didn't know why she was so focused on this person.

Well turns out the lady had cut up hot dog in a plastic bag for her dogs and was carrying around with her driving any dog near her nuts but she seemed to be getting annoyed with any dog that came near her.

To me its common sense not to bring any food into a dog park, you're just asking for trouble or fights to break out.

Also, dogs run, it's a dog park, kids run at the park and i dont stand in their way so if you see a dog running just move.

I see owners thinking their dogs humping or climbing on another dog is sometimes amusing and funny but it is a sign of being dominant and not all dogs will tolerate it. I think that behavior should be corrected before something happens. I never let my dogs dominate over other dogs and I correct them for doing so and i hate it when the other dogs owner comes up to me and says "oh they're just playing" i suppose she would rather i step in after a fight breaks out.

If you can see warning signs and read behavior you can easily avoid a dog fight, but accidents happen and with that many dogs inside an area it's almost inevitable. Dogs are pack animals, i do believe that but i also believe that when dogs create packs they also exclude other dogs, etc... i've always seemed to notice that strange dogs seem to play really well in 2's or even 3's but sometimes when a 4th comes in wanting to play it can cause trouble because those 2 or 3 have developed a sort of "pack" at least that's how i understand it.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
We are fortunate in the fact that all the people that come to the dog park I frequent are 'regulars' and stick together. So when that new person comes along with an out of control dog, we usually try to help them understand what is correct etiquette, and if they don't comply or are rude, we get a park ranger to yell at them and/or kick them out.

At the old park I used to go to with my greyhound, this guy would drop off his aggro boxer and LEAVE!!! That was totally rude. >.<

1 - 20 of 29 Posts