Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a silver or white standard. I have been talking to this very nice lady quite a bit. I had my mind made up, and then I hear from a very trusted source to not buy a puppy from her because she breeds for money.

Just wondering if any of you have had experience with her or your opinions from her website.

www.southpawspoodles.com

Thanks. :)

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW She is the cheapest I have found @ 1500. I thought her website was knowledgeable and educational. Everyone looks to make something off a litter. I thought her price was extremely fair.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I don't know this breeder, but just my two cents: I always think it's weird when a breeder says "This is not a puppy mill" on their website. The reputable breeders who I know (and who friends know) don't need to put that on their website, why would you ever need to say that?

I also think it's weird to see this on a breeder's website:

"I have been inspected, and have met their strict guidelines in order to register my poodles with AKC."

As far as I am aware, you don't need any special clearance from AKC. Anyone can register a litter, and just because your dogs are AKC registered doesn't mean they are healthy, sound, good examples of the breed.

Of course, it's just wording on a website... I don't know why she decided to put these things on her site. Are her dogs health tested? It looks like she shows her dogs?

What did your trusted source say about her?

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I talked with her a bit through email last year, she was very nice but I am thinking that someone brought this up a bit ago and was unable to find much on her Dam's pedigree..... Does she have white?

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
I do not know anything about this breeder, either - but I didn't get the "warm fuzzies" from her website - Nothing glaring, just not impressed... Hope you get some better answers, and good luck in your search!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Paddle makes good points. I took a quick look at the website. I'd be asking about health testing. The stud of her most recent litter has hips only listed on OFA, while the dam has nothing (although her website does say they've been rated). Ask what other testing she does, as doing hips only is pretty minimal. Of course she may have done the testing and have not listed it, but you definitely need to ask.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I talked with her a bit through email last year, she was very nice but I am thinking that someone brought this up a bit ago and was unable to find much on her Dam's pedigree..... Does she have white?
No, I'm looking for white or silver. I stumbled upon her a few weeks ago. She is close. She told me the dam was tall and elegant. I'm wondering how tall? I've asked her for full body pictures of her. I thought it strange that he is all over her website, but just the one face pic of her.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know this breeder, but just my two cents: I always think it's weird when a breeder says "This is not a puppy mill" on their website. The reputable breeders who I know (and who friends know) don't need to put that on their website, why would you ever need to say that?

"I have been inspected, and have met their strict guidelines in order to register my poodles with AKC."

As far as I am aware, you don't need any special clearance from AKC. Anyone can register a litter, and just because your dogs are AKC registered doesn't mean they are healthy, sound, good examples of the breed.

Of course, it's just wording on a website... I don't know why she decided to put these things on her site. Are her dogs health tested? It looks like she shows her dogs?

Only that she was a bred for money.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
No, I'm looking for white or silver. I stumbled upon her a few weeks ago. She is close. She told me the dam was tall and elegant. I'm wondering how tall? I've asked her for full body pictures of her. I thought it strange that he is all over her website, but just the one face pic of her.
I have heard she has gorgious silvers. There are people on here that are more familiar:)

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Well if she close and your first impression was that you like her go and meet her see for yourself.. Youmay have been told that becuase perhaps the person you were speaking with has a personal problem with this breeder...???? Breeding for money is pretty tough to do if you are doing thisng right That is testing and showing and feeding a proper nutritious diet..
We have people just come quite often to meet our dogs and us .. WE have the greatest puppy folks that fly in to pick up their babies , I would not have it any other way .. If she has an open door policy use it ...

·
Registered
1,132 Posts

I agree... I don't know any reputable breeders that post that stuff on their websites. They don't have to.... cause people know what their reputation is.

Yes, the AKC does do inspections:http://www.akc.org/about/depts/investigations.cfm

But looking at their standards I'm wondering how many puppymills pass inspection?

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
"Breeding for money" is a pretty broad and unprovable statement. Unless they have her financial records. If she were cutting corners to increase profit, then that's a different story. And it seems like there would be evidence, like incomplete testing.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
I copied this from the AKC inspection site:

•AKC inspects breeders who register seven or more litters per year. AKC also randomly selects some breeders who register between four and six litters a year for inspection.
•In addition, AKC inspects breeders based on written, signed and substantiated complaints.

So AKC generally inspects people who breed a lot of litters or ones who have complaints registered against them... I don't think I'd be proud of being inspected by AKC... IMHO...

·
Registered
1,132 Posts

•AKC inspects breeders who register seven or more litters per year. AKC also randomly selects some breeders who register between four and six litters a year for inspection.
•In addition, AKC inspects breeders based on written, signed and substantiated complaints.

So AKC generally inspects people who breed a lot of litters or ones who have complaints registered against them... I don't think I'd be proud of being inspected by AKC... IMHO...
Nope... these are the breeders you want to stay away from IMO. The thing with byb's and puppy millers is they'll make themselves sound very professional and good by using terms regular average joes don't understand... "we are inspected by the AKC" and people think WOW! They must be great breeders.
More puppy mill lingo include:
"we are against puppy mills"
"USDA inspected facility"
"Comes with health guarantee"
"delivery to any location"
"AKC registered"
" have kennel license"

·
Registered
1,685 Posts

Very interesting... in reality, I wonder how many breeders the AKC "inspects" in the course of a year?

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I'm wondering too why more people are now driving their puppies to new homes rather than putting them on a plane if the buyer lives out of state? I understand the desire to see the home in question but you can do some basic research to find out where the person lives and see the home from a satellite view if you want. I like the assurance that a dog has to be checked over and approved by a liscensed vet before boarding a plane to fly. Not to mention that it's cheaper in most cases to pay for a plane ride than it is to pay for a trip across country by vehicle. On top of it all it's a lot less stressful for a puppy to go on a trip that is maybe 5 hours verses one that is over 12 hours by car.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Hopefully some one that is not doing things the right way . Such as someone saying that a certian dog is the stud when in fact it was not. Or someone saying the dog is AKC registered and refusing to provide papers at time of pickup...
They do inspections,,, I know this for a fact. A high volume breeder in Phoenix is reguarlly inspected by AKC...

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
And on another topic, how do you ever really know who a stud is if the puppy is not DNA tested? I've heard stories of people selling puppies to unsuspecting people and then later finding out that the stud in question didn't even sire the litter.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I personally like to meet the parents of the dogs myself, and spend sometime in person with the breeder. A lot can be covered up over emails and internet.

Anyway, I did email her and ask her about specific testing, and this is the answer I got.

"Testing to both parents: SA, vWD, OFA, and eye exams. Updated eyes exams were just checked two weeks ago.

When puppies go to new homes I provide a packet, copy of all testing on parents, AKC papers, and vaccination record."

She also sent me pics of the mom, and she looks fine to my limited knowledge. In the pics she was growing her show coat, but there were never references to her actually showing. There could be dozens of reasons for that both harmless or not. I think I will take BRP'S advice and go meet her before I make a decision.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts