Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My poodle is a picky water drinker, yes water drinker. Every time he goes to drink from the water bowl, he pushes it around until I refill it with fresh water! The bowl could be filled to the top with water, changed not even 20 minutes ago, and he still does this. It does get annoying after a while but I've gotten used to it. Well I was just wondering if anyones poodle is picky bout anything and what it is. Thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
Mine isn't picky about anything yet....although she does "demand" a drink from my bathwater (I usually comply and give her a cup or two of warm before putting in any bubble bath....hehe).

You could try putting a bunch of ice cubes in his bowl, see if that "freshens" it up enough for him...but yes, they train us well!

·
Registered
843 Posts
Did you say picky?
Gunther will stand by the refrigerator,waiting for me to get him cold,filtered water,so he can proceed to drink it out of a glass.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Poodles are more smart than picky...amazing how fast THEY can train US to do their bidding. Mine will drink their water like normal, but if I do happen to pour some new in they all have to come get a drink.

Normally if I just "re-fill" the water bowl...like if its only 1/2 full and I top it off...I end up filling it up 2 more times because when I pour the first cup they all run over for a drink. its like they forget they have a water bowl until they hear it.

Anyone here have one of those "flowing" water bowls? I think they are a great idea IF you don't have little children who like to play in the water bowl as it is...hubby almost got us one, but I told him that it would be a waste of money.

We are going to wait until the human kids aren't as likely to play in it before getting ourselves one. Seems like a good idea though for picky drinkers! I am also a bit afraid that the constant sound of the water would have me constantly running to the bathroom! LOL

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the idea of a flowing water bowl. I found some really cute ones online. I will most definately be investing in one for my picky drinker. Hopefully it works. My only concern is my three pound yorkie, who loves water, will be going swimming in it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mine was a little bit like that at first, and then I would just ignore him if there was water left and he would drink it.

I did put an ice cube in there one day, he LOVES them. Now anytime someone gets any ice out of the freezer he goes crazy till he gets one, then he plays with it until it melts. ha ha

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Jazz likes to drink water from the papercut or bowl from the water cooler dispenser thingy we have at work. You know the things they have in offices and stuff? Anywho, if she can get filtered cold water thats her favorite, but no she isn't really picky about water. In fact, she loves water to the point that if you don't stop her she will drain the entire freshly filled bowl as many times as you will fill it up. No medical reason why, water is just a novelty for her I guess??

·
Registered
116 Posts
of all the dogs I have ever had, I think my spoos are the biggest fans of water... I thought for a while they were going to grow a hump on their backs like a camel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My pup is protesting mealtime...

I'm not so sure what to do. The breeder I went to had our poodle pup, Ruby, on a raw diet, a mix of meats and tripe that she made herself, so I purchased a months supply of the food from the breeder when we brought her home. As the mix ran out we tried switching her to Boca Burgers (raw beef mix) and Ruby refused to eat it, so I was giving her raw tripe mixed into the burgers until she refused to eat that too. I was picking up 1/2 eaten food every feeding and she went from her beefy puppy self to a svelt puppy almost falling off the toy chart. I called the local store and they suggested Magestic burgers as they contain the yummy tripe and RUby loved these - her weight was back on track! My kids were home sick for two weeks and my 7 year old daughter started feeing her like a baby, soooo Ruby only wanted to eat from a spoon. I told my daughter to stop it and RUby stopped eating, again. Then when my daughter went back to feeding Ruby she was dropping the meat on the floor to get Ruby to eat it (which Ruby liked immensely). So I had to take her off puppy feeding altogether, and now I'm left with a pup that doesn't want to eat. I tried the spoon and dropping on the floor in desperation but she's barely biting. She's only getting one to two servings a day and I'm worried because she is only 5 lbs. 2 oz. She's 4 1/2 mos. old. Oh, RUby used to eat her poop, that finally stopped that nonsense, and today I found her playing in the kitchen with a fresh prize. She's got tons of toys! Why play with the poopy?
She drinks plenty of water...

·
Registered
554 Posts
I'm not so sure what to do. The breeder I went to had our poodle pup, Ruby, on a raw diet, a mix of meats and tripe that she made herself, so I purchased a months supply of the food from the breeder when we brought her home.

As the mix ran out we tried switching her to Boca Burgers (raw beef mix) and Ruby refused to eat it, so I was giving her raw tripe mixed into the burgers until she refused to eat that too. I was picking up 1/2 eaten food every feeding and she went from her beefy puppy self to a svelt puppy almost falling off the toy chart.

I called the local store and they suggested Magestic burgers as they contain the yummy tripe and RUby loved these - her weight was back on track! My kids were home sick for two weeks and my 7 year old daughter started feeing her like a baby, soooo Ruby only wanted to eat from a spoon. I told my daughter to stop it and RUby stopped eating, again.

Then when my daughter went back to feeding Ruby she was dropping the meat on the floor to get Ruby to eat it (which Ruby liked immensely). So I had to take her off puppy feeding altogether, and now I'm left with a pup that doesn't want to eat. I tried the spoon and dropping on the floor in desperation but she's barely biting.

She's only getting one to two servings a day and I'm worried because she is only 5 lbs. 2 oz. She's 4 1/2 mos. old.

Oh, RUby used to eat her poop, that finally stopped that nonsense, and today I found her playing in the kitchen with a fresh prize. She's got tons of toys! Why play with the poopy?
She drinks plenty of water...
I would call the breeder and ask if uses any type of kibble, and what brand...or ask her to recommend a brand. I would leave the kibble out for 30 minutes once in the am and once in the pm...then take her raw foods and put about 1/2 a serving in a DIFFERENT bowl and do the same thing.

I would set her raw foods out for 1/2 hour, and then take it up and cover it...try again in another 4-6 hours then throw that portion away so it doesn't make her sick. To avoid throwing a lot out I would give very small portions 3-4 times per day then when she is older and has a more set appetite maybe she will eat more food in one sitting.

Poodles are smart and hand feeding her probably taught her that she got more attention for doing it that way. Now you will just have to "un-train" her and teach her that food bowl goes down, either eat or you have to wait until I decide to put it down again. The first time she goes over and starts eating try throwing a treat you know she really likes into the bowl. Sometimes even a tiny piece of shredded cheese on top of 2 cups of dog food will make them think its "special"!

One other thing is to make sure you have her checked by your vet if she is loosing lots of weight...might be as simple as a case of worms!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts