Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am up and bored and very excited about my new guy coming to live with us!! I need some helpful advice from some vets!!

·
Registered
912 Posts
Not sure if we have any vets on our forum yet. I am an ex vet nurse so feel free to ask away and I will see if I can help?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure if we have any vets on our forum yet. I am an ex vet nurse so feel free to ask away and I will see if I can help?
OOPS!!! LOL I meant veteran poodle owners!!! I should have specified that since this is a dog forum!! hahahaha sorry for the confusion!

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I got my Ginger when she was 6 weeks old - a little young - she had fear issues right away and its been hard to break her of it. We had to hire a trainer to come to the house. He really helped though -She was about 6 months when he came and he really made her into the dog I wanted. She still is a little fearful with new people and heaven forbid anyone sits near her (dog or human) when she's sleeping - she jumps up wiht a growl ready to defend her life - but settles immediately when she sees no threat. She has been a treat for me. I love her personality - she talks to me and when she lays down she makes this loun belly sigh - its so cute! I have a a few dogs in my time but this dog has stolen my heart totally! Just love her!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I have owned and previously showed Amstaffs (akc version of the Pitbull) and a Poodle was a big change for me. I still own one Pitbull and a Rat Terrier but Eli is one great dog.

We have two young boys (3ys and 1yr) and OMG are Poodles great with kids. That was the biggest concern for me about getting another breed. Honeslty, no matter what people say Pitbulls are great with children and are great family dogs. Thats what I wanted with a Poodle and Eli is over and above what I expected.

Not only is he great with kids but wow.... he was so easy to train! He is almost 15 months and he sits, shake's, high fives, lays down, stay's on command and speaks when asked. He was potty trained at about 6 months and has been sleeping out with my other dogs since he was 8 months old. I have always had to use a crate train until 1 yr if not usually longer.

I think you will be quite happy about your new Standard Poodle baby. Have you owned any dogs before? If so what breeds?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This will be the first dog for our family. In my later childhood years I had a Dingo/Lab mix that was the best dog ever. I have always had a deep passion for dogs and animals in general, and watching my kids handle and be around animals I see that they do too. We have only had a pet Rat named Girly-Girl and a Beta fish named Jo-Jin. So we are really excited about our new puppy, and to see the excitement on my kids faces will be priceless.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Secreto
You said Eli was potty trained at 6 months? So how long did you work with him? Wrigley came here at 9 weeks. He definitely does a good job holding his poopies but I must keep a belly band on him because he still isn't telling me when he needs to potty (I watch him and let him out every hour but if he decides he needs to go - he will start to squat and I'll need to say "no no" and then hurry him outside - which tells me that the concept hasn't completely sunk in yet). He is about 16 weeks now. Does that sound okay?
I don't think he had anyone working with his potty training before he came to me (I mean proactively).
I will say that he is very good about going potty outside when I let him out though. Always goes right away.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Secreto
You said Eli was potty trained at 6 months? So how long did you work with him? Wrigley came here at 9 weeks. He definitely does a good job holding his poopies but I must keep a belly band on him because he still isn't telling me when he needs to potty (I watch him and let him out every hour but if he decides he needs to go - he will start to squat and I'll need to say "no no" and then hurry him outside - which tells me that the concept hasn't completely sunk in yet). He is about 16 weeks now. Does that sound okay?
I don't think he had anyone working with his potty training before he came to me (I mean proactively).
I will say that he is very good about going potty outside when I let him out though. Always goes right away.

Eli wasn't trained at all when I got him either. I got him at 10 weeks and the first couple of months I didn't get to potty train really well because my son was in the hospital. I mostly just took him out every 2 hrs to potty then right back in the house when I was home. Otherwise he was crated and then let out to potty when I was gone by my relatives. I don't give play time the same time I do potty breaks because I believe they will begin to play around and not potty when its potty time. If that makes any sence? lol Play time and potty time are too different times! He did have accidents but over all was very easy to potty train. Thats really all I did though.

Probably soon he will start to realize what to do. I heard someone else say on this forum that there Poodle trained in the 10 weeks. Thats just crazy!
My Amstaffs took about 10 months to a good 1yr and still occassionally had accidents. Oh and when I got Mikey (brown Standard Poodle) at 8 months he was potty trained too. He trained at like 6 months too...well thats what his previous owner's said. He didn't pee once in my house.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
6 months?? Wow, I didn't realize how lucky we've been. Jazz pottied once in our house, within the firts 24 hours. Never did it again. All of the puppies we've ever had have litter trained by five weeks and then by 4 months are pretty well housebroken and go potty outside.
poor jazz is a little too well trained in her toilet habits. She will only go in one spot in the yard or one spot at the dog park. Period. There is no taking her outside to try and get her to potty on a leash when I work late. She had one accident in the salon but her tummy was upset and she pottied in her kennel. Poor baby - ate a whole bag of slim jim sauages. Ewww. LoL.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I wouldn't say T was reliable at nearly 6 months but we are very vigilant and he doesn't make mistakes in the house. He doesn't really ask to go outside though unless he is in his crate, mind you I probably don't give him enough time to ask cause super regularly he gets put outside and told "go wees" which he usually does.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Thats what Eli does. He doesn't have any real signal....shoot my husband probably wouldn't realize what Eli wants when he does his stare. lol

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
A lot of my training students use the bells, and I saw on a breeder's website that the puppies she was selling were using the bell to signal when they needed to go potty. Personaly I have never been able to train a dog to do it, but I've also never really given it a fair shot. It was someting I did for a while with one puppy who didn't get it fast enough for my liking and I could always tell when he needed to go out anyway so I didn't need the signal from the bell so I gave up. I can usualy tell if my dog's need out just by body lingo, they tend to get antsy for lack of a better word. Jaz especialy paces around and jumps up and then down and up and then down on the couch or the bed. If I say "do you need out" they get all excited and out we go.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts