Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Exclusive Lamb and Rice?

Sense getting the new puppy I've been trying to decide is I want to stick with Nutro or move on...I looked at petsmart and petco and I just don't get into the whole holistic thing I mean, I would feed my kids organic before I worried about the dog organic. I'm sure it's better food just a little over priced but I was thinking about switching to something better than the nutro. So I stopped by the feed store and they had this food called Exclusive I got the lamb and rice and am working on putting both Toby and Chase on it so far so good. The first ingredient is Lamb then lamb meal and the nutro starts with lamb meal so I do like the fact that it has 'real' meat in it and no by products. Most of the ingredients I know what they are. I paid $22 for 18lbs I was paying 15 for the 8lb nutro. I am crossing my fingers hoping it sits well with both dogs and was pretty excited to find a food that looks pretty decent for the money.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I have seen the brand at both the feed store here as well as the tractor supply. I've never given it much thought to tell you the truth and haven't flipped a bag over to check the ingredients in years.

I think what you choose to feed is a very personal choice. I don't have kids but I assume (actualy I kinda hope lol) that I will be interested in feeding them as well as I do my dogs. For the dogs I don't worry about price all that much, but I can understand why other people do :)

I'm feeding Blue Buffalo to three out of four dogs but that is going to change since I now know I have a solid and reliable source for the solid gold again. I chose it at the time because it was the best food for the money, I pay 42 bucks for a a 30 or 35 pound bag... I forget what the weight is.. I feel like that is a reasonable amount and usualy last us a little over a month I think between three dogs.
Saleen is eating tastes of the wild and I am not super thrilled with it. It's about the same price as Blue, ummm 22bucks for a 15 pounder.. or whatever their middle sized bag is. I bought a new bag today and got a different formula than the one I had before. Giving it one more chance before I write the food off completely. The first formual I was feeding was fish based and yes saleen's gas problem lessened, (not disapeared) but GROSS she now has a fishy odor to her which is not acceptable. Even after a bath she just smells different than Jazz does. Uncool. LOL :)

My suggestion would be to do what you've already done. Check the lables, find a food with meat and real ingredients and as few fillers as possible that you can afford :)

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I haven't tried it either. I think you have a good approach. Determining your goal and then comparing the brands that best fit your goal.

Katie was on prescription dog food, so as long as the price isn't outrageous, I want to get the healthiest food possible. I found the link below that helps you compare one brand to the next based on a rating system. I like it because it has helped me learn how to read labels.

http://www.acreaturecomfort.com/ratingpetfood.htm

I was looking at solid gold. It has a lot of bonuses that most other brands don't offer. I also like the fact that the food sources are (mostly) in the United States where there are strict food standards. China is really scary with their pet food scare, lead based paints and baby food formulas that they have exported resulting in several deaths.

After comparing, I am still going to switch my puppy over to Evo once she gets a little older. It doesn't look like they have a puppy formula, and I don't want to switch her too soon from getting her home. The breeder uses Eukanuba.

Feeding one toy poodle gives me more options regarding price too. I can imagine feeding multiple SPOOs would make a difference in my choices.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I wish we could get evo here. I can get it but not from a source I really trust and I hate having to worry where and when my next bag of food is going to come.

When I switche Jazz to blue from Pedigree I did it in two stages. I felt like the pedigree was soooooo different from the blue that I used a mid grade food between the two. She went from Pedigree to Purnia one and then to half and half purnia one and blue and then to Blue entirely. It worked out well and not one single tummy upset wich is good.

I maybe should have done the same thing with Saleen. She was on puppy chow and went straight on to blue from that and didn't tolerate it well. Hence the reason she is now on Taste of the Wild and doing much better.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't you hate them being on 2 different foods? It was a pain for me so I am slowing changing the puppy (Chase) over. I've never switched cold turkey I think this will be my 3rd food change in 8 years!

·
Registered
37 Posts
has anybody tries royal canin the price is good $45 for a 50 lb bag and it makes Mani's coat real nice and soft. We really like it and sometimes we mix it with a generic brand in an airtight container to save money.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Don't you hate them being on 2 different foods? It was a pain for me so I am slowing changing the puppy (Chase) over. I've never switched cold turkey I think this will be my 3rd food change in 8 years!
Yeah sometimes I do, but honestly it;s not realy any trouble. I am considering other options for foods at the moment because it is nice to just buy one bag at a time I'll admit.
We choose blue b/c it was something both Jazz and the tibbies could eat and at the time we had lost our source for Solid Gold. Not that I would have fed Jazz the small breed version of the food the tibs were on anyway. LoL. All was well until we got Saleen and then problems almost right from the start. She just didn't do well on the food, had loose stool off and on and gas ALL the time lol. That is WAAAYYYY more irritating than feeding two foods. The food containers are kept right next to eachother and it's no big deal really :)

I have fed as many as five different foods with little trouble to different dogs. I try and find what works best for each dog and if I am lucky that will be one food. It has been for a long while now. Honestly at this point I doubt very sriously if it is realistic for me to hope to keep all four dogs on the same food. They all have different needs at the moment. Wonder and Jazz are in the middle and doing fine on what they are on. Howie is getting into his senior years and I've noticed weight gain and such on the blue now where before he was burning it off no matter what. He's going to have to go on a different formual sooner or later. Saleen is a growing pup and has more of a need for cal. and protien than say Howie for example.We shall see, I won't cut corners on what is best for each dog for convience sake though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts