Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone do Titre testing instead of vaccinating/over-vaccinating?

When we rehomed Beau, the breeder told us about Titre testing. She told us how dogs have bad reactions to vaccines. I realized then that my parents dog has bad reactions whenever she gets vaccinated - and now she's probably over vaccinated. So I decided to listen to the breeder and suggest that the vet only Titre test yearly and get the required state vaccine (which is Rabies). Technically in my state you only need proof of Rabies to go to public places. You don't even need the core vaccines. I wonder if its the small dogs that have a worse reaction to vaccines. My parents dog is a shihpoo (size of a mini poodle). Every time she gets vaccinated they literally have to give her anesthesia to help her take the vaccine.

I don't want to over vaccinate Beau especially since he's 8. So for now he's up-to-date on Rabies and has had a Titre shot as of February.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Yes, I titer for parvo/distemper with Hemopet/Hemolife after my dogs have received their initial series of vaccinations. Here is the form I take to my vet. They draw the blood and I mail it to the Hemopet lab.

https://labordatenbank.com/cake/hemopet/samples/hemopet_form

You can search the forum for posts about titers and Dr. Dodd's vaccine protocol.

My dogs receive the rabies vaccine every 3 years, which is required by CA law. Unfortunately, titers are not allowed yet for rabies.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I titer for parvo/distemper with Hemopet/Hemolife after my dogs have received their initial series of vaccinations. Here is the form I take to my vet. They draw the blood and I mail it to the Hemopet lab.

https://labordatenbank.com/cake/hemopet/samples/hemopet_form

You can search the forum for posts about titers and Dr. Dodd's vaccine protocol.

My dogs receive the rabies vaccine every 3 years, which is required by CA law. Unfortunately, titers are not allowed yet for rabies.
Beau just recieved the rabies Vaccine. I need to get the form signed by the vet for when we go away. The breeder I got him from was an akc breeder of merit. She's highly trusted by the people that know her so I trust her opinion (after doing research). Most boarding kennels I've talked to say that accept the Titre test, I just don't know which places I trust...

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
I started titering when we got Wilson (4). My vet is not really on board, but he respects my choice. Of course, rabies is state mandated, so that is every three years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts