Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want to have a season to grow out Basil pom poms 110%. It's loud, I love it, but we need to add some serious fullness and length. Basil looks like she's walking around in high heels with tassels. If I was a furMom, then I would head right down to Nordstroms and get a pair (free returns btw..). But, I'm a furDad and got a pair of baige cole hanns for "work" instead (Lol yeah that was my excuse). It's secretly so I can match my poodle. This thread wasn't meant to be about shoes, but who can resist. You deserve it!

Back on track, it'll be like the top-knot challenge thread from the past, but for Pom Poms. I can include some grooming tutorials, and videos to help each other learn the basic angulation around the hock. We can take "before" pictures. You just see how long you can go.

Anyone interested in doing the same?

(Siba, omg 馃槶 )

16175535960443233066693540392572.jpg

Registered
Are you going to grow out Basil鈥檚 top knot to balance wonderful pompoms? I think she would love to coordinate with your shoes.

Registered
馃槀 I love this post so much!

Violet currently has something I鈥檓 calling bell bottoms because my attempt at pompons was so badly done. I鈥檒l be following along, but I don鈥檛 have much confidence that I can or want to match Siba鈥檚 glory groom.

Here is a recent photo which only kind of shows her leg. I have black dog photography problems with a side of no-effective-stack-training.

A56D3973-0686-422D-9409-7AB197C4E829.jpeg

Registered
Siba just could not be denied, could she 馃槏馃惄???!!!!

Can't really participate here, but I'll surely enjoy watching.馃槉馃憤. Basil's Daddy, you add great energy to this forum, along with a good deal of innate wisdom. I'm so glad you're here.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Are you going to grow out Basil鈥檚 top knot to balance wonderful pompoms? I think she would love to coordinate with your shoes.
I don't think I will. I'm different. I like the terrier up above and poodle down below. And, fluffy ears for now... because fluffy ears bounce like pig tails during the poodle prance. Line brushing around her eyes made my anxiety go up. Head scratches are more intense and scratchy with less hair. Less hair in one place means more time somewhere else.

If I only have 60 minutes a week to divote to grooming. I have to pick and choose. I wish I could have it all!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
馃槀 I love this post so much!

Violet currently has something I鈥檓 calling bell bottoms because my attempt at pompons was so badly done. I鈥檒l be following along, but I don鈥檛 have much confidence that I can or want to match Siba鈥檚 glory groom.

Here is a recent photo which only kind of shows her leg. I have black dog photography problems with a side of no-effective-stack-training.

View attachment 475357
Yeah, I've kinda seen a handful of different styles for pom poms. I think everyone has their own favorite. Like a toilet paper roll, more like a raindrop, or just a simple bevel... I'm sure there are others or competition terms... But we're just here to have fun.

The height and angulation is all pretty much the same, so we can break it down for Simple McSimpletons like myself.

Violet just needs to be her best Violet, no comparing to Shiba. :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BtS, Happy says she's all in. She started this a week ago from yesterday so she doesn't have much going on yet. She's in need of a groom now, but this is where we're at. View attachment 475363
Nice 馃憤 Did Happy have her first heat yet?

Since we're not touching the braclets for now, here's how you figure out how high to make them if you don't know already.

Watch this from 5:50-6:05.

The hock is this landmark.

(I'm not sure where everyone is in their grooming journey.)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Siba just could not be denied, could she 馃槏馃惄???!!!!

Can't really participate here, but I'll surely enjoy watching.馃槉馃憤. Basil's Daddy, you add great energy to this forum, along with a good deal of innate wisdom. I'm so glad you're here.
Sibas win validated what we all know is true..
We're #1, we're #1.

Poodles are #1 (always). Gonzaga will be #1.

Thank you, we're all glad your here too! Haha :)

Registered
Nice 馃憤 Did Happy have her first heat yet?

Since we're not touching the braclets for now, here's how you figure out how high to make them if you don't know already.

Watch this from 5:50-6:05.

The hock is this landmark.
View attachment 475377

(I'm not sure where everyone is in their grooming journey.)
BtS , no she hasn't, and she'll be 1yo on the 18th. I'm watching her but no indications so far.

Registered
Here is Violet鈥檚 side profile after I worked some more on shaping her bracelets. Taking photographs is helpful because I can stare for as long as it takes vs as long as Vi鈥檚 patience lasts. I think I don鈥檛 have the hock height correct- too high. Thoughts?

I have a lot of learning to do on shaping these things!
398630B5-714E-476B-943E-86A02548506A.jpeg

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here is Violet鈥檚 side profile after I worked some more on shaping her bracelets. Taking photographs is helpful because I can stare for as long as it takes vs as long as Vi鈥檚 patience lasts. I think I don鈥檛 have the hock height correct- too high. Thoughts?

I have a lot of learning to do on shaping these things!
View attachment 475447

It could be high. I try to keep in mind we're not entering any competitive grooming competitons. Also, it's easier to take away, then grow back. So unless you're 100% sure, it's best to just let them grow out and be conservative.

I need to find some videos on the 30掳 angulation from the hock for us (currently at the office). This morning, I snapped some pics of what I did.

(Here's her hock, im touching it)

In this next picture, her long hair starts on my index finger. My ring finger is on her hock. Three fingers. The idea being that her hair falls down to her hock, so there's the illusion that it is starting at her hock. It is this point that I start the front of her back Pom 30掳 below this point to create the angulation.. if that makes sense.

Registered
I want to have a season to grow out Basil pom poms 110%. It's loud, I love it, but we need to add some serious fullness and length. Basil looks like she's walking around in high heels with tassels. If I was a furMom, then I would head right down to Nordstroms and get a pair (free returns btw..). But, I'm a furDad and got a pair of baige cole hanns for "work" instead (Lol yeah that was my excuse). It's secretly so I can match my poodle. This thread wasn't meant to be about shoes, but who can resist. You deserve it!

Back on track, it'll be like the top-knot challenge thread from the past, but for Pom Poms. I can include some grooming tutorials, and videos to help each other learn the basic angulation around the hock. We can take "before" pictures. You just see how long you can go.

Anyone interested in doing the same?

View attachment 475353
(Siba, omg 馃槶 )
View attachment 475348

View attachment 475354
View attachment 475350

View attachment 475352
View attachment 475355

View attachment 475356 View attachment 475351
I just love this post so much!!! Put a huge smile on my face. 馃槉The Spoo to shoe matching is fabulous! I鈥檓 still thinking if we want to participate or not due
to the increased maintenance that would be involved.馃槈 I do think it would be fun though.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Okay, this will be my starting condition:
-Just had a shower using puppy shampoo & conditioner
-Poms blown out 100% with high velocity dryer.
-Slicker brushed

(Yours can be different, feel free to individualize your journey).

I'm not sure to brush the hair up or down for a picture. It's about 2/3 of an index finger long. I want "boots with the fur" loud.

Registered
Poor Renn now has overall short leg hair. He loves playing outside and its always wet in the AM, which would mean I would have to comb and clean him overtime he goes out, so for now he will Not get andy bracelets. His ears and topknot are way too long and soon they will be sheared. Makes me sad but right now with my hubs problems I have little time. But thats one thing I love about poodles I can clip him clean when time doesn't allow, and when it does, it all comes back.

Registered
Thank you for all the wonderful advice and anecdotes on this site. I very much enjoy reading the discussions here, and refer to your experience often!

Basil_the_spoo, this is a great post and discussion! I would love to join this Pom/bracelet grow out challenge as I was considering what type of clip to do next on Big Ben. He is already complaining about the warmer temps, so I was considering some kind of (um, masculine) modified miami clip. He is currently a big shaggy dust mop, but has a groomer appointment next week. My plan is to get have the groomer get the ball rolling by getting the bulk of the coat down to a manageable length. I鈥檒l have her leave what length she can on the legs for me. I鈥檓 a complete beginner with the clippers, so I鈥檓 excited to follow along and learn from everyone else鈥檚 experience!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts