Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curius if anyone else has a poodle that is protective? If so, is your poodle protective just about other people but to other dogs also?
I found out this morning that is Evie not only protective toward me toward other people, but also does not like other dogs getting to close.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I haven't personally had one that was overly protective but I had a friend who had one that would growl and lunge for her husband and other dog anytime they'd go near her.it started with just stares and body language then progressed to the growling and lunges. It created a lot of family issues. I would personally start training methods now to prevent it going any further, just to be on the safer side.

·
Super Moderator
5,337 Posts
Peggy seems to be following in Gracie's footsteps, in that she will growl and/or bark if someone comes to the door while she's with one of us. She'll sometimes even do it if someone unexpectedly enters the room.

But if she's alone, nothing.

That makes me think she's being protective. Either that or we're giving her some sort of cue (in which case, I'd love to figure it out so we can stop it).

·
Premium Member
23,241 Posts
Javelin is protective of me and spaces that we share. He is like a wild grizzly bear in my vehicle lately because we havin't been in it much these days. I had him pretty well settled and then COVID hit and it all went to hell in a hand basket.

·
Super Moderator
1,524 Posts
Snarky was protective of his people. He was very friendly. He would happily march right up to a stranger when we were on a walk and stand there for ear rubs. Occasionally, however, he would body block a stranger, making no contact, shifting like a basketball player. It was a very interesting blend of non-aggressiveness and firmness.

Pogo tends more to jealousy than protectiveness. He does the same body blocking thing Snarky did, but he directs it at the cat. He did warn off a coyote by charging the fence when I had him out with the puppy a few weeks ago, however.

·
Premium Member
9,708 Posts
Buck fits the adage, that every dog is a lion behind their gate. He acts very ferocious if any person or dog approaches the gate. Once you’re inside, not at all.

·
Premium Member
23,241 Posts
cowpony that stranger danger alerting I often think is the dog taking a "here's a weirdo mom" read of a person. I had a very memorable experience many years ago with Lily. We were at a pet expo doing agility demos for a training place I go to. We were at the facility's table taking a break and two people approached. The woman asked some questions and the man asked if he could pet Lily and I told him okay. She sat and accepted the petting. They went on their way. The man came back about ten minutes later and just reached in towards her. As he did she gave him a very serious warning growl. I caught his wrist told him he should always ask for permission to pet any dog. He said (correctly enough) that he had asked previously. I said every time and also told him she was saying no. Clueless of course he asked how I knew she didn't want more petting and I told him she had growled seriously enough that I would not have been surprised if she bit him since he hadn't heard what she thought she had told him very seriously.

I actually hired a contract for a new roof, siding and a couple of windows because Lily and Peeves allowed him in the house with no fuss (pre Javelin days).

Reactions: dogsavvy

·
Super Moderator
5,337 Posts
Buck fits the adage, that every dog is a lion behind their gate. He acts very ferocious if any person or dog approaches the gate. Once you’re inside, not at all.
Do you think he'd protect you if someone intended you harm?

I wonder this a lot about Peggy. She'll often give a low growl or bark when she sees a stranger, but there's this magic threshold she crosses as she approaches them, where she spontaneously melts into a waggy, wiggly puppy. It happens every time. I suspect this is because they pass her stranger-danger test. But who knows. It's very possible she'd try to lick a murderer, too!

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Do you think he'd protect you if someone intended you harm?

I wonder this a lot about Peggy. She'll often give a low growl or bark when she sees a stranger, but there's this magic threshold she crosses as she approaches them, where she spontaneously melts into a waggy, wiggly puppy. It happens every time. I suspect this is because they pass her stranger-danger test. But who knows. It's very possible she'd try to lick a murderer, too!
This is something I wonder with Sisko. He will bark and growl when he is inside if he hears or sees someone, but he is so friendly when we are outside and he sees people, but would he attack someone if they attacked me while walking him? Would he attack if anyone broke in our apartment? I don't know, so I don't feel as comfortable walking him at night or when someone stays home by themselves. Our Australian Shepherd would have attacked which was really comforting and made us feel secure.

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
Tonka? Protective??
We were walking along a chain link fence one day when a whole herd of Canada Geese came pouring through a hole in it. As soon as he saw them, Tonka was heading for the hills. Hahahaha...
Then he looked back, saw me, and felt safe enough to come back to challenge the Geese.
What a powderpuff... lol

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Tonka? Protective??
We were walking along a chain link fence one day when a whole herd of Canada Geese came pouring through a hole in it. As soon as he saw them, Tonka was heading for the hills. Hahahaha...
Then he looked back, saw me, and felt safe enough to come back to challenge the Geese.
What a powderpuff... lol
Lol🤣🤣

·
Super Moderator
5,337 Posts
Tonka? Protective??
What a powderpuff... lol
My mini mix (about 12 lbs) used to "protect" me from Canada geese. Lol. She's lucky they didn't take her seriously.

·
Super Moderator
1,524 Posts
cowpony that stranger danger alerting I often think is the dog taking a "here's a weirdo mom" read of a person.
It most definitely was. Snarky had poor doggy social skills but very good human skills. Pogo is more aloof with humans than Snarky was - I think he simply can't be bothered with casual chit chat - but I'm quite certain he would come to my defense if he thought I was in distress.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I had to search a long time for a Spoo with Mr. Layne's skillset. Years prior, I trained with a white & a silver who were full on attack trained. I trained & always have at least two guardians that are my personal dogs. My Giant Schnauzer is not a joke when it comes to my safety & that of our tiny dogs, & our chickens. We lived in Arizona & my neighbors & police appreciated her. She's proven. Not as hard core as my old Malinois but a good dog to have your back. My Spoo boy, Mr. Layne may turn out to be a little more hard core than I dared hoped for but he has a level of intelligence with it. Like my Giant he isn't looking for a bite, he's at ease & content but if the mood shifts, anger bubbles up... they flip the switch. When younger he was of course lacked confidence but he has a big BOOMING bark even as a pup so he would scare someone & then run to look for backup, which isnt cowardl, it's highly intelligent. Hes progressing nicely. Hes a dog I can have around crowds. He is aloof & watchful but not looking for a bite or trouble. Very confident dog & when his confidence wavers he looks to the Giant & I. The older her gets (currently 1 year, 5 months) the bolder he is.

He looks so sweet & cuddly but if you dont belong or you're up to no good. Mr. Layne is 70+pounds of athletic spring. He's not yet a warrior but bas great potential. The last pic isnt very good but it's my bedside floor. Mr Layne, my Collie, & the Giant. He's a little over 70 pounds, my Giant is 83, my collie is around 65 pounds & they insist when my husband isnt home, they must be between me & the door. It's well tested. If someone enters the house, three dogs spring up & it is ON. What's fascinating from my point of view is how my Spoo threads himself like he has no bones around the 2 big girls as they have been working together for years. My Malinois was a master at this. I didn't expect it out of a Spoo. It's highly prized in a tactical dog. We've had one guy stop at the house & I took my Giant's collar. It's not that I got her collar but how I did it. She instantly took her serious pose. I glanced down & there is Mr. Layne a matching bookend but his nose was wrinkled & teeth bared. He never made a sound.

I am very well protected. I sleep very well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
I am curius if anyone else has a poodle that is protective? If so, is your poodle protective just about other people but to other dogs also?
I found out this morning that is Evie not only protective toward me toward other people, but also does not like other dogs getting to close.
Renn is protective of me. If someone approaches me especially too quickly he will bark n growl. Enough so that my vet always want to muzzle him. However once I hand over the leash and leave, (go out of sight) he settles down and is fine. I'd actually like to get him past this and I'm working with him. He is fine as long as I am not present.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Many years ago I had a good friend who trained Schutzhund (sp? - German protection training). He also taught AKC obedience classes. I had worked with him with my German Shepherds. Then I bought a standard poodle. He was very impressed with the poodle and told me that the problem with poodles in protection training was that they were too smart to grab the padded arm - they would go around and bite the "aggressor" in the butt!

Every standard poodle I have ever had was reasonably protective. All of them were especially protective when in a vehicle - although I don't remember any "stupid" barking. I once left my big male - who was in full show coat at the time - in the van with the two front windows rolled down about 3 inches. The van did not have side windows, so no one could see a black standard poodle lying in the floor behind the front seats. When I came back from my errand, there was blood on the front window and it was down a bit more than how I had left it. Evidently someone had tried to reach in and lower the window for access and had gotten a huge black surprise! I'll bet the intruder thought he had been attacked by a gorilla!

·
Registered
398 Posts
The dogs too smart to go for the padded sleeves are the ones I search for. My Malinois, both Collies, my old farm bred German Shepherd, Giant, & my Spoo are like that. They'd go over the sleeve or under a coat. If they were going to fight, they wouldnt waste time on ineffective areas. Those are dogs you can count on to get the job done.

·
Super Moderator
5,337 Posts
The dogs too smart to go for the padded sleeves are the ones I search for. My Malinois, both Collies, my old farm bred German Shepherd, Giant, & my Spoo are like that. They'd go over the sleeve or under a coat. If they were going to fight, they wouldnt waste time on ineffective areas. Those are dogs you can count on to get the job done.

I'm so intrigued - what do you use these dogs for? Do you have a security company? (Sorry if this has already been covered in another thread.)

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Annie is showing some signs of being protective, but sensible. There have been a few times now that she has barked and growled at something "not right" including a man who deliberately turned and followed us down the street after dark. She puts herself between me and the "threat" and barks/growls/stares until they pass or I speak to and acknowledge the person, acknowledge her, and they talk back. But she is very selective in when she does this. I have good hopes that as she matures she will be a friendly, but thoughtfully protective, dog with good judgement (like my parents old St. Bernard). I am also pleased that her bark has progressed from squeaky to deep, powerful and kinda scary. I have no fear walking at night with my black poodle.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts