Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm looking to adopt another poodle and I'm curious if anyone has heard of this breeder: Good Dog! Go Home!

My Standard recently passed away and the breeder I have been interested in for a long time has a very long wait list. I'm willing to wait for one of her pups to become available but my other Standard has seemed so lost without her companion. They were so bonded! So I'm curious to see what else is out there.

This is the first time I've looked for a breeder. Both of my other Standards were rescues so I don't know what to look for. Any advice would be appreciated. :)

Thanks so much in advance!!!

Registered
I have seen them advertise. Glanced at their site and wasnt particularly impressed. I personally want a breeder sho does ALL of the OFA recommended testing for the breed, including genetic tests (the cheap part that this breeder seems to do), hips and eyes (expensive, but where many dogs fail), and proof the breeder "does something" with the dogs - either a dog sport or conformation to prove the dog is sound enough mentally and physically to be bred.

I would especially be interested in seeing hip testing for a breeder that specializes in oversized poodles.

Here is a great resource put together by one of the members to a bunch of breeders who health test by location- there may be one near you.

Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
Hi OP, FWOP gives good advice above. Just wanted to add that I'm so very sorry to hear about your loss. It sounds like your pair were very close, and I hope your surviving dog grows equally close to her next sibling.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have seen them advertise. Glanced at their site and wasnt particularly impressed. I personally want a breeder sho does ALL of the OFA recommended testing for the breed, including genetic tests (the cheap part that this breeder seems to do), hips and eyes (expensive, but where many dogs fail), and proof the breeder "does something" with the dogs - either a dog sport or conformation to prove the dog is sound enough mentally and physically to be bred.

I would especially be interested in seeing hip testing for a breeder that specializes in oversized poodles.

Here is a great resource put together by one of the members to a bunch of breeders who health test by location- there may be one near you.
Thank you so much! I appreciate it. :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi OP, FWOP gives good advice above. Just wanted to add that I'm so very sorry to hear about your loss. It sounds like your pair were very close, and I hope your surviving dog grows equally close to her next sibling.
So sweet of you, thank you! Although he is no longer with me I'm so grateful a Standard came into my life. They are such amazing dogs!!

Registered
Welcome! We are happy to have you and I hope that you will soon find your new family member to help ease the pain of loss. I have examined the mentioned breeder. I agree with FWoP. Below are my personal impressions and thoughts. Everybody has different priorities and I would urge you to do your research and make the best decision for you personally.

I looked through the website (which is horrible to navigate!) and there are a few things I find unsettling.

They do not seem to mention that they hip test their adults, but it is possible they pennhip test them. I'm not sure. If I was interested in a puppy I would require documentation to show the parents are hip tested through pennhip or ofa.

They list in their puppy contract that they only cover hip dysplasia if the puppy is pennhip tested between 4 and 5 months of age and diagnosed based on this. I find this utterly ridiculous and I would not feel okay with this. This is an expensive procedure that owners are only going to do (to fulfill contract) if they believe their puppy is dysplastic by 4 mo of age. Which would require really extreme dysplasia. The contract basically guarantees that they won't actually have to cover for any dysplasia while still making it sound like they do.

They also have some weird things said about color. They use colors not accepted by AKC like "champagne" and they refer to dogs as "sable" that do not look sable to me. But it is very hard to tell because they breed liver pointed and black pointed dogs together all the time. They claim that akc considers red and apricot to be a faded form of brown (it's not and they don't) and claim that AKC says that reds and apricots should have liver pigmented noses (they don't). They claim that black noses are erroneously preferred in the show ring and that liver noses are actually correct. I'm pretty sure that's all rubbish. Here is the AKC standard's excerpt about nose pigmentation.

"Brown and cafe-au-lait Poodles have liver-colored noses, eye-rims and lips, dark toenails and dark amber eyes. Black, blue, gray, silver, cream and white Poodles have black noses, eye-rims and lips, black or self colored toenails and very dark eyes. In the apricots while the foregoing coloring is preferred, liver-colored noses, eye-rims and lips, and amber eyes are permitted but are not desirable."

So I don't get where they're coming from. If you're breeding nonstandard colors then just... say it? Don't pretend you're the only one breeding correct pigmentation and all the other breeders are doing it wrong! Obviously they are not breeding show poodles but I'm not a huge fan of the conformation of their dogs based on face structure and amount of loose skin on them, but it's hard to say without seeing a proper stacked photo. They are clearly breeding for size above anything else.

Lastly... that's a high price tag on their dogs. It's either $2k or $2.2k (two different prices mentioned) for limited akc registration puppies. For that price you could get a dog from a top of the line breeder with champion titled dogs in conformation and performance. That does all the recommended health testing.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome! We are happy to have you and I hope that you will soon find your new family member to help ease the pain of loss. I have examined the mentioned breeder. I agree with FWoP. Below are my personal impressions and thoughts. Everybody has different priorities and I would urge you to do your research and make the best decision for you personally.

I looked through the website (which is horrible to navigate!) and there are a few things I find unsettling.

They do not seem to mention that they hip test their adults, but it is possible they pennhip test them. I'm not sure. If I was interested in a puppy I would require documentation to show the parents are hip tested through pennhip or ofa.

They list in their puppy contract that they only cover hip dysplasia if the puppy is pennhip tested between 4 and 5 months of age and diagnosed based on this. I find this utterly ridiculous and I would not feel okay with this. This is an expensive procedure that owners are only going to do (to fulfill contract) if they believe their puppy is dysplastic by 4 mo of age. Which would require really extreme dysplasia. The contract basically guarantees that they won't actually have to cover for any dysplasia while still making it sound like they do.

They also have some weird things said about color. They use colors not accepted by AKC like "champagne" and they refer to dogs as "sable" that do not look sable to me. But it is very hard to tell because they breed liver pointed and black pointed dogs together all the time. They claim that akc considers red and apricot to be a faded form of brown (it's not and they don't) and claim that AKC says that reds and apricots should have liver pigmented noses (they don't). They claim that black noses are erroneously preferred in the show ring and that liver noses are actually correct. I'm pretty sure that's all rubbish. Here is the AKC standard's excerpt about nose pigmentation.

"Brown and cafe-au-lait Poodles have liver-colored noses, eye-rims and lips, dark toenails and dark amber eyes. Black, blue, gray, silver, cream and white Poodles have black noses, eye-rims and lips, black or self colored toenails and very dark eyes. In the apricots while the foregoing coloring is preferred, liver-colored noses, eye-rims and lips, and amber eyes are permitted but are not desirable."

So I don't get where they're coming from. If you're breeding nonstandard colors then just... say it? Don't pretend you're the only one breeding correct pigmentation and all the other breeders are doing it wrong! Obviously they are not breeding show poodles but I'm not a huge fan of the conformation of their dogs based on face structure and amount of loose skin on them, but it's hard to say without seeing a proper stacked photo. They are clearly breeding for size above anything else.

Lastly... that's a high price tag on their dogs. It's either $2k or $2.2k (two different prices mentioned) for limited akc registration puppies. For that price you could get a dog from a top of the line breeder with champion titled dogs in conformation and performance. That does all the recommended health testing.
Thank you so much! All great information. I appreciate it!!

Registered
Hi, we actually purchased a poodle from Rocky Mountain Luxe Puff Poodles a couple of years ago. Our experience has been great! Sammy has been a great dog! We didn't get him for show or anything, but just as a younger companion for our older (11 year old at the time) cockapoo rescue.

He hasn't had any health issues and we had a great experience with training him and he has been great with our toddler, they're bff's! I have no idea about his height or anything, but I do know that he is pretty tall for sure and is 77lbs as of last week at the last vet visit.

The upper pic is from when he was a little over 1 year and a few lbs less than he is now, but yes as a whole we had a pleasant experience and couldn't be happier.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi, we actually purchased a poodle from Rocky Mountain Luxe Puff Poodles a couple of years ago. Our experience has been great! Sammy has been a great dog! We didn't get him for show or anything, but just as a younger companion for our older (11 year old at the time) cockapoo rescue.

He hasn't had any health issues and we had a great experience with training him and he has been great with our toddler, they're bff's! I have no idea about his height or anything, but I do know that he is pretty tall for sure and is 77lbs as of last week at the last vet visit.

The upper pic is from when he was a little over 1 year and a few lbs less than he is now, but yes as a whole we had a pleasant experience and couldn't be happier.

View attachment 471729 View attachment 471728
What a cutie! Thanks for sharing. :)

Registered
Hello everyone,

I'm looking to adopt another poodle and I'm curious if anyone has heard of this breeder: Good Dog! Go Home!

My Standard recently passed away and the breeder I have been interested in for a long time has a very long wait list. I'm willing to wait for one of her pups to become available but my other Standard has seemed so lost without her companion. They were so bonded! So I'm curious to see what else is out there.

This is the first time I've looked for a breeder. Both of my other Standards were rescues so I don't know what to look for. Any advice would be appreciated. :)

Thanks so much in advance!!!
If you live in the southwest (AZ, NM, CO, UT) - I have a list of recommended poodle breeders that I send to people who request it. It also has a section about genetic diseases for which breeding stock should be tested. I am listed on the Enchanted Poodle Club web site as the breeder referral contact.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you live in the southwest (AZ, NM, CO, UT) - I have a list of recommended poodle breeders that I send to people who request it. It also has a section about genetic diseases for which breeding stock should be tested. I am listed on the Enchanted Poodle Club web site as the breeder referral contact.
Thanks I sent you a message. :)

Premium Member
Just from the home page I see two things that I am not impressed by: "royal standards" is a gimic for marketing; and the dog featured at the home page has terrible pigmentation. I am happy to hear there is at least one member who has a nice family dog from this breeder, but they really should step up and do all of the appropriate testing even if they are breeding for the pet market.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts