Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking on the web and can't seem to really find any! My toy poo, Mr. Bean is getting his first REAL groom Saturday! He's 18 weeks now and it's about time...

I wanted to get it at 14 weeks, but the groomer said he was too young... He's never even had his muzzle completely shaved yet!

Also, examples of haircuts would be nice! I am not sure if I want him shaved down, or just trimmed.

My mom thinks that when his hair is cut, his collar will disappear! I don't think so lol

He has white on his face, feet, and chest as well as a white collar going around his neck!

Also -- in the light, his coat looks a little off. In the photo with the sunlight hitting his hair, you can see where the black looks brown.. What is that?! Is he a dark espresso, and not black like i originally thought? He haaaates pictures and is never really not in motion for one lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
22,896 Posts
When your puppy is groomed his hair will be the color it is at the skin near the follicles that are growing each of the hairs. His pattern will not change.

Also I have to say that all puppies should be groomed early and often. Javelin's breeder did his face, feet and tail three times and may have bathed him more than that before we picked him up. Starting them early helps them to understand that grooming is part of their routine. Even if you don't feel comfortable with clippers and such you should establish a routine for combing/brushing and nail clipping/grinding asap. Your puppy is very cute, but looks a bit disheveled. The groomer may feel it is better to clip him way down if there are any mats. Either way I would ask the groomer to do something that will be easy for you to maintain while you establish your at home grooming routine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When your puppy is groomed his hair will be the color it is at the skin near the follicles that are growing each of the hairs. His pattern will not change.

Also I have to say that all puppies should be groomed early and often. Javelin's breeder did his face, feet and tail three times and may have bathed him more than that before we picked him up. Starting them early helps them to understand that grooming is part of their routine.

He was groomed once with me almost a month ago, and three times with his breeder as well so he’s been exposed to it. He’s just such a busy body it’s hard for him to be still while they do it

·
Premium Member
22,896 Posts
He was groomed once with me almost a month ago, and three times with his breeder as well so he’s been exposed to it. He’s just such a busy body it’s hard for him to be still while they do it

Well learning how to be relaxed and accepting is on us to help them with. I made sure when Javelin was young that I made him get on the grooming table once a week for a thorough comb through and either FFT or nails. I also made it worth his while by giving yummy treats on the table.

You may find the discussion in this thread helpful. https://www.poodleforum.com/9-poodle-grooming/264855-plan-action-lily-may-grooming-craziness.html

Reactions: Dechi and zooeysmom

·
Premium Member
6,299 Posts
My Beatrice has a white bib as well, unless your boy is lightening or clearing to a blue his colors should stay they same.

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have a tuxedo colored Standard.
He's always shaved close on his body and his white marks are there.
Heres a recent picture of him straight from the groomers as you can see his body is very short and his markings are still there. Maybe this will reassure your mom?

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
My neighbor has parti cockapoos. She keeps them trimmed very short like Jokerfest’s spoo because it shows off the pattern even more than when the fur is longer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts