Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jessie might have a pool home this spring! We have an accepted offer on a house that would give Jessie both a bigger fenced backyard and a screened pool. Question is- will she use the pool? ;) Does anyone have miniatures/toys that like to swim, or are there any success stories of anyone teaching a reluctant poodle to love the pool?

For all I know she'll just jump right in and enjoy it, but if we get the house it'll be the first time she's around water and not on a leash. I'm expecting some training to be in order for her to learn to enjoy the pool. She loves water and rain in general, so I'm hopeful.

·
Super Moderator
5,313 Posts
Does it have steps? My mini mix enjoyed wading into shallow water on a hot day. And she'd happily splash around after a ball or a stick on even the COLDEST of days, but she preferred to have her paws still on the ground, with just the briefest periods of swimming. That would be tricky in a pool.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
I don’t know what my mini would do, we don’t have a pool. But a friend with two tpoos let’s her tpoos swim all summer in her pool.

Congratulations on the new house.

Reactions: Zesti_V

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
We don’t have a pool but Gracie enjoys water and swimming. Our main home is on the river and our lake house is, well, on a lake, lol. She even likes being out in the rain. She is true to her water retriever roots. I am sure of we still had a pool, she would be in there as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Your Gracie was a cutie, great pic with the towel and ball!

Lily ( poodle mix) also likes water, but Max(also poodle mix) avoids water at all costs. Gracie is the only one who has the retriever behaviors though.

Reactions: Zesti_V

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does it have steps?
Yes! Nice big steps too. I'm absolutely sure she'll go at least that far, she loves puddles and rain. Wasn't afraid to charge into the ocean on our last trip to the beach, but she was on a leash and couldn't go in any further than getting her paws wet.

·
Super Moderator
5,313 Posts
Yes! Nice big steps too. I'm absolutely sure she'll go at least that far, she loves puddles and rain. Wasn't afraid to charge into the ocean on our last trip to the beach, but she was on a leash and couldn't go in any further than getting her paws wet.
Aw! Sounds like she's going to have a blast! :) Peggy would like to know if she can come over and play? She's been so smitten with water since day 1, we had to mount her water bowl up off the ground so she wouldn't splash around in it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Aw! Sounds like she's going to have a blast! :) Peggy would like to know if she can come over and play? She's been so smitten with water since day 1, we had to mount her water bowl up off the ground so she wouldn't splash around in it.
Peggy is welcome any time, as long as she doesn't teach Jessie how to play with her water bowl ?

·
Registered
21 Posts
water is like any other toy for dogs. some dogs will love it some will be scared but most wont care that it's there. The older a dog is the less interested they become in new experiences. my toy poodle loves the water but I started filling up the tub to let him swim at 12 weeks. my standard that I didnt get until 1.5 years old does not like water at all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts