Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have been looking on a site that Purple Poodle gave me on silvers and am beginning to think my Teddy is silver. He was much darker last summer and when I gave him a haircut recently he really looks silver. His ear hair is brown but his top knot is beautiful silver curls. I woudl like to see a picture of a chocolate because I think I have assumed he was chocolate when he was really silver. He was two when we rescued him. three now. Thanks
Pam

·
Registered
163 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Seems to me that whatever he is, he can't be a silver. Silvers are born black. He might be a silver beige or a cafe au lait, though. My dog Marley was dark brown when he was born. The color you see in the avatar is pretty accurate.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Teddy was much darker brown when I first got him. He always had some silver hairs too and now he is almost totally silver - his top knot is all silver curls even when long. I wish I had a camera so I could show you a picture. Anyway, because I never saw a brown dog with silver hair intertwining I thought that was what a chocolate poodle was. But now I am guessing he is not chocolate. who knows - someday a picture!thanks

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thats not him on the side - thats Ginger - she is Red. I think Teddy has some mixture of different kinds of poodles - he was rescued from a breeder along with a lot of others and one was a party poodle - we think maybe she was his mother because he had some reddish hair on his snout and ears when we first got him and he has that little white spot on the top of the right leg. He was very dark but I didn't realize how dark until I posted the pix of the two of them wet from the pool. He is so much lighter now and shaved he is silver - who knows what he will be when hair grows in lol I love that silver beige that Marley is.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what a gorgious color brown - it really looks like chocolate. I don't know why I thought Teddy was chocolate lol who knows what he is!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
In Standard's a brown is just considered brown. I refered to a brown as chocolate ( thats what is looks like to me) but was corrected from a few breeders and groomers. Your dog looks to me like he is a cafe au lait. They are usually that brown and eventually turn the beige/silver color that is refered to as cafe au lait. The sun also really lightens the hair in a odd way on that color Poodle. It almost looks orangy in some area from being in the sun.

I just got a new boy 2 days ago now and he is a cafe au lait. However he is still that brown color your dog is. Mine is only 9 months but you can slightly tell his coat is changing colors. they say it can take a good few years before they get the color in. (for some not all)

Please correct me if Im wrong but thats just what I have been told and I think I read that on the AKC site also. I mean the name of his color being brown.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Thanks for the link...great info. I must of been on that site for an hour. I want to experiment with a different clip now. lol

Thanks again

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
on the liver points - ok Teddy has amber eyes but his nose is brown. I have seen pix of dogs that look like him but don't know what they call them. that is why I wanted a pix of a chocolate poodle. I guess he is just a mix. The home he came from had a lot of dogs and the woman was old and the dogs were taken away from her - he was very thin - not fixed and had so social skills - not even really housebroken and he was about 2. He is good now but I imagine there was a lot of 'mating' going on there! lol He was fixed before I adopted him. but he totally acts like a puppy still - drives me crazy sometimes! lol Always want to play and the other dogs get annoyed.
thanks

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Marley is a beautiful dog. Teddy not quite so light but maybe he will be eventually - don't you wish we could all meet and let our dogs play together. It would be such fun!

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm not sure that Marley is any lighter -- it is really hard to tell shades from these pictures. The pictures of Marley when he is in the bright California sunlight make him look much lighter than he is, I think.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts