Poodle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got Annie, I was given the fancy pack my mom used for our old mini cross. It's more than 20 years old and I adore it - but its disintegrating. It's great for training walking etc.

Mine is bright orange, with a wide waist belt and very comfortable. It has 2 big pockets and a small pocket so I can carry treats, keys, phone, dog bags, a couple balls, her leash, etc. I wish It had 1 more divider as i dislike opening my keys pocket on a walk. Big D rings I can clip things to if necessary. I love it because I just grab it, toss in another handful of treats, and go.

I also have a small backpack for training classes and longer hikes I keep water bottles, dog dish, etc in, but the fancy pack is more convenient.

Do you have a dog bag? What do you like about it? What do you use it for? What do you use?

·
Super Moderator
6,330 Posts
I've got an old-school promotional fanny pack that was collecting dust in my mom's closet. I like to think it looks kind of cool and ironic when I wear it, but I'm pretty sure it really doesn't.

It's got three pockets, one of which is dedicated to doggy treats. The rest is my wallet, lip balm, keys, Kleenex, and assorted bits and pieces that I should probably throw out. I keep poop bags tied to the handle of Peggy's leash.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I use this one, and keep a small baggies of treats in the big pocket, and my phone and clicker in the front. Occasionally I’ll clip a water bowl to it if I think it’s going to be a long walk. It’s really handy in morning times when I’m too asleep to remember to grab the things I need to, you know, walk the dogs. No, I haven’t gone outside without the dogs before! What do you mean?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Ohhhh...I love my dog bag!!! It’s actually a denim purse I got at the thrift store. I’ve had several different “bags” pouches, fanny packs, over the years but this is my
absolute favorite! It’s roomy, nice pockets, big and small, inside and out and they are easily accessible. It’s comfortable as I wear the strap crossed over my shoulder. It’s easy accesss, great for walks and training and, not that I really care, but it doesn’t look like a dog bag! Lol! I have a nice fanny pack and that works but not as many nice pockets and it’s a real pain during the winter. I even have a separate poop pouch I use until we get to the closest garbage can. Sounds gross but I do double bag it and then place it in a washable cloth bag in the dedicated poop pouch. It’s so much easier than carrying the bag as we walk and train. I just have to remember to not forget it’s in there!😳 🤣
And with that being said, I love my dog bag because I can wash and scrub it just like clothing with a touch of bleach added and hang it outdoors in the sun and it smells fresh and clean!

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I just have pockets and belt loops usually.

Right front pocket: tissue for me, small treat bag, small aluminum whistle on wrist strap, fresh poop bag thru belt loop
pepper spray can with handle hooked onto pocket ready to grab
Left front pocket: keys, ID
Left rear pocket: phone in thin case with micro flashlight and another whistle attached to wriststrap
Right rear pocket: small wetwipes travel size

hotter weather: I add a neoprene water bottle carrier with shoulder strap and collapsible silicone bowl carabiner clipped on

If I don't have enough pockets, the phone and non-er items go in a small neoprene pouch with wriststrap attached. I place the strap above my elbow so my hands are still fully free.

Spandex as a fabric component is not my friend when taking my boys on a walk! I spend as much time adjusting as they do sniffing LOL.

·
Super Moderator
1,794 Posts
I use my utility vest instead of a bag. The gazillion pockets keep things organized, so I'm not fumbling for the items I need. The vest distributes all my items, so the weight isn't hanging off one hip or shoulder, and it doesn't shift suddenly. The vest is loose fitting, so I can slip it on over my autumn weight jacket.
And, it's just oh so attractive, lol. :)

·
Registered
544 Posts
My dog bag has a literal dog on it. I use a clear plastic mini backpack I got as a gift with purchase years ago. It’s waterproof, easy to see what I need and out of the way.

The front small pocket is the perfect size for my cell phone. In the main compartment is a 3 oz can of pepper spray. I keep the zipper open for (hopefully) easy access.

If it’s hot out or going on a longer walk I also bring a collapsible bowl and water.
The poop bags are kept clipped to her leash handles. I try to carry the bare minimum.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Love seeing what everyone else uses.

I have been looking at MEC for fanny packs. Honestly, nothing looks as nice as the 20+ year old one I have now, and the prices!!! $50 for a waist pack? If only mine wasnt literally falling apart at the seams with nylon that's too frayed for mending.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I have a canvas bag with portraits of the spoos that my daighter-in-law painted for me that I take to obedience but I do not usually carry anything with me when just out walking. I tie poop bags to the loop/handles on my leashes and my keys go in a pocket. If I do need a bag I also have an old 80’s fanny pack but I find them uncomfortable in the summer especially.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have nothing fancy, just canvas bags of different colors and sizes. I have a black one for when we are going to the groomer, a blue one for when we are going to obedience class, started a red one for agility, but had to put that on hold and have a larger one for vacation/road trips that is a bland off white color.

My kids tease me all the time because they say that dogs are color blind, but I swear, Sammy knows where he is going by what colored bag I take out of the closet! Black bag, he hides under the dining room table, off white bag, he paws frantically at the front door. So, I think he knows.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Not exactly color blind

Dog Vision

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
This thread came back to me as I was loading up for our walk yesterday and I went over my criteria again, and matched it with the ideas posted here.

I came up with the thought of an apron, no, a tool belt, no, a garden tool belt! Handsfree, easy access with specific place for things, lightweight (I hope) and bonus points for washable.

This is what I settled on. I've ordered but won't be able to pick up for a few days, but for $2,70 USD + tax, I figured why not try it?

I'll update once I get it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Since we are back to the dog bag thread I am going to share my dog bag addition. I made these little envelopes from a dog food bag to put inside the dog bag pockets. Great for loose treats and my dedicated poop pouch. Will keep the bag cleaner, longer. I can just throw the envelopes away. I love to upcycle so this little craft project was just perfect!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Haha, I don't have a dog bag (well just one for training class that is a canvas bag). I am forever finding treats in my pockets of pants, sweaters, jackets, in my purse, in the cupholder of my car even!

·
Premium Member
9,824 Posts
I am on my 3rd cotton fishing vest. Pockets for everything and then some: treats, waste bags, flashlight, leash, mail key, and Kleenex fill up the main ones. Tug toys when he was a puppy. I feel comfortable and prepared, easy on and out the door:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts