Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I started researching how to feed my poodle a raw diet, I was a little shocked and appalled that the big name dog foods were deliberately using fillers that are not healthy and that the industry doesn't have processing standards regulated by the USDA. I really thought that these companies were ethically concerned about my pet having a full and long life.

Silly girl! OK...learning is a good thing. I have choices, so I made the switch to raw. Figured that would be the best decision ever.

Last night I watched Food, Inc on PBS which described how OUR food is on the brink of catastrophe. I didn't realize that the USDA doesn't even have the power to shut down facilities with multiple citations of unsanitary practices or if they have been shown to have e coli! It is the company's decision to voluntarily regulate their production. What?!?!?! They are trying to pass Kevin's Law which would give the watchdog agency power to shut down an offending facility.

In the meantime, the consumer gladly eats thinking we are protected. Did you know that one hamburger contains between 50-100 different cattle? Depending where it is made, there could be cattle from at least 2 different countries! Yikes. I'm shocked we haven't had more mad cow breakouts.

I really had no idea there was this lack of regulation for our food preparation, especially when the typical person relies on so many other people to handle the food they eat.

Now begs the question. Do any of you eat organic or do you feed your dogs organic? If so, any suggestions on keeping the costs down?

I've already started a garden (extremely small). I'll start shopping at the farmer's market, and would like to find a local farm where I can get organic beef and chicken. This was a real shocking thing for me, and I would like to find out what some of you may be doing.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
source your own stuff.

our companies who ake the patties up here are pretty much filler free nd very good. but i source my own meat for the majority (have to to keep the cost down with 3 dogs!)

in canada though our meat hs alot less stuff in it then in the states (IE beef- we're hormone free etc)

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Interesting you bring that up, my mom and I were just discussing meat sources for our dogs the other day. (Disclosure - I don't eat meat, she does.) I was talking about the book I've been reading called "Eating Animals" and how disturbing it was! She brought up the fact that she normally buys fairly cheap meats to feed Ziggy, and so thus is both supporting factory farming and not giving Ziggy the best meat possible. We decided to do some research into alternative sources of meat for Zig and cost out how much it would be.

My pup will be starting out on kibble and then will eventually make the switch to raw. As he is small, I am hoping I can afford to feed him the best possible meat from the best possible producers. I will just take that money I don't spend on meat for myself and spend it on him instead. :) Farmer's markets are a great place to start.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Honey, you live in Texas. You have lots of options!

Eat Wild - Texas

The most economical thing to do is to buy a whole steer (or part of one) and put it up in the freezer. You can also do this with lamb and goat.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hahaha...so true. Texas does have a lot of beef. When I was a kid we would get a half when my grandfather took a cow to slaughter. I knew how it was raised and knew there were no hormones.

I found this site also:

Burgundy Pasture Beef, Grandview, Texas, 817-866-2247

Most likely, I will try to buy more organic at the health food store that these farmers sell to. I just didn't know if anyone had experience keeping costs down on organic meat.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
No, i dont. I wouldnt be able to afford it if i did. I dont feel bad about it though. My dog is still eating higher quality meats then are in kibble.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts