Poodle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a grooming friend that works at a local pet supply store said that one of her friends had been feeding TOTW-um the kind with bison in it. Her dogs all had been worm free before that, but then they all got tapeworms that would not go away no matter how much they were taken to the vet or dewormed.

I guess they tested the food and found tape worm eggs or something to do with tapeworms in the food, and thats why they kept getting them???

IDK it sounds pretty out there, but still kind of spooky :scared:

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Friend of a friend stories always get mixed up or lose pieces along the way.

Tape worms live in the intestines so the question would be do they (ToTW) use Bison/Venison intestines in their dog food. (I would say they do not or in the ingredient list it would have by-products/meal)

My guess it was not the food but either where the dog played, fleas or just had a bad infestation. It can take multiple treatments for tapeworms.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I just googled it and found past recalls but nothing crazy. I will just keep my ears open....all 4 dogs are doing pretty well right now. Crossing my fingers:)

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
OK... this is what I know about tapeworms and I am NOT an expert (I only play one on TV...)

Mammals can NOT get tapeworms from eating tapeworms (or poop with tapeworms in it). Mammals can NOT get tapeworms from eating tapeworm EGGS... They get tapeworms by ingesting a HOST which is carrying the tapeworm at the proper time in its development... I believe the host is usually a flea (I know of dogs or cats who have gotten tapeworms by eating rodents, but it's because the rodents were infested with fleas and the fleas are what carries the tapeworms...)

I do not believe that tapeworm eggs would survive the processing of a kibble, but even if they DID survive the cooking/extruding process, the would NOT be able to infect a dog in that form - they need to be ingested by a FLEA first and the FLEA would infect the dog when the dog ate the FLEA...

I think... :wacko:

I know tapeworms are not eradicated by the normal OTC dewormers - you need a special dewormer (Drontal, Droncit) so they can seem impossible to get rid of unless you use the correct dewormer... If it were me, I would not worry about getting tapeworms from any processed food (unless the food had fleas in it!!!)

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Tape worms live in the intestines so the question would be do they (ToTW) use Bison/Venison intestines in their dog food. (I would say they do not or in the ingredient list it would have by-products/meal)
Oh NO NO NO !!!!! Tapeworms have very complicated life-cycle and actually their larvae can be found in different parts of the animal (including muscle)- depending of the species !!!!

I am always weary of the "wild animal" meats - I would never consume them myself either ! They found prion-like disease in Elk , I think (mad cow disease) etc. - I do not consume beef neither LOL nor would feed it to my pets

PS: Plum - just found your post - yes - one can get infected by a tapeworm - absolutely. There are many species. Now, if we talk about one that dog has - yes, flee is a vector - but if we eat the flee - same would happen !!! Larvae would be released and travel to the destination place . Now if the tapewarm that lives in the Bison has larvae living in the muscle - next host that eats that meat will get a tape-warm !!!!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Oh NO NO NO !!!!! Tapeworms have very complicated life-cycle and actually their larvae can be found in different parts of the animal (including muscle)- depending of the species !!!!

I am always weary of the "wild animal" meats - I would never consume them myself either ! They found prion-like disease in Elk , I think (mad cow disease) etc. - I do not consume beef neither LOL nor would feed it to my pets
Really? I guess my info was wrong, I guess its time to brush up on my worm knowledge. I had a little guide thing I got from a parasite seminar I went to a few years ago, I'll have to find it.

I thought they attached to the stomach/intestinal wall and feed off of what the animal ate. Dogs/cats with a tapeworm infestation have the larva on the outside of the anus and if you think they have tapeworms you look at ware the dog sleeps and you will find little grains of "rice" aka larva.

Anyway, I agree it was not the food.

EDIT: Plumcrazy and I posted at the same time. So I was right.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
:noidea:

I have a good feeling it's not the food either.....I am familiar with tapeworms but not the detail you guys are and I truely don't want TMI just enough to get by lol!

I don't eat wild meats but I love steak and cheeseburgers!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Eating Raw Meat and Human Tapeworms

Eating Raw Meat whether your on a raw meat diet or not, should probably only consist of Grassfed beef or Grassfed meats.

Grassfed beef is probably some of the cleanest meat to eat, but that doesn't guarantee it won't have tapeworms. Tapeworms can live in grass and be consumed by grazing animals.

The symptoms of tapeworms are usually some sort of digestive issue such as abdominal pain and nausea. You can develop quite a hunger when you have to feed the two of you!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AND- the "rice" that you see are not larvae- Purple - but tape-warm segments with eggs inside !

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
But isn't the food cooked? Wouldn't the heating element kill off anything that might have been inside intestines?

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I'd like to think so and dogs do not get half of what humans do from eating crap meats right? NOT THAT I WOULD FEED MINE CRAP MEAT - bad meats

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
As I said - I had no idea of how that particular Bison food was prepared LMAO

I was just stating the fact that yes- tapeworms can be transmitted from animal to animal via food chain - and that is allllll I was talking about since there was confusion about transferability of those particular parasites.

Well cooked meat is safe for consumption.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
My dogs had tapeworm and they way I found out was by finding the 'rice' size pieces in the feces. I consulted Dianne about it and it was her that told me what it was. I don't know how they contracted it but I suspect it was by fleas. We are pretty isolated where I live.

I have no idea if the larvae or segments can be killed by processing kibble. It has my interest peaked though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts