Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am just curious. Has anyone here ever had a poodle and a Bully breed living in the same house? How did it work out? What extra precautions did you have to take?

Best way for introductions and things to be concerned about?

Okay I ask because in the next few years we plan to bring in most likely an American Bulldog Puppy (unless I can convince my husband on my true doggy love the American Pit Bull Terrier, but he isn't as fond of them as the American Bulldog)

Anyways my biggest concerns are the size difference (Both my dogs are small, under 25lbs) and dominance issues.

My current 2 dogs will be around 9 years old when we bring this dog in, ideally. My daughter will be 7.

Out of my two current dogs, I see Zachary having the most problems with a new addition especially at age 9. Zachary has the more dominent personality of my 2 dogs. He has a hard time getting along with dogs that are larger than him, UNLESS he has known them from when they were puppies. Then its usually not a big deal. Sasha my Terrier mix has the more submissive personality and seems to get on with every dog she meets.

Even though we are about 6-7 years away this is something we are wanting to think about and consider and start researching early. This dog is kind of our Daughters dog ( well....its the family dog but we are going to let her think its her dog and she will participate in training classes with us and the dog. I know that the sole responsiblity will most likely fall on me, it always does)

We will be getting a female

Okay I want an APBT but Hubby wants an American Bulldog.

These are just 2 breeds of dogs we are looking into.

Anyways we will get the dog as a puppy. The dog will start obedience classes as soon as vaccines are all given. The dog will be spayed (we are getting a female regardless). The dog will most likely get 3 long walks a day and offleash playtime in the fenced in yard.

living situation. Small/Medium size house with a large yard. Will be living with 2 other smaller older dogs. And an 7 year old child. (who will be involved in the training and has been around dogs her whole life)

I personally prefer the APBT, hubby just doesn't like their look (he likes many things about them but he doesn't like their look) I like their size, personality, loyalty, energy level and look. Hubby prefers American Bulldog all around.

We understand these dogs need a leader and a leader that will be consistent with training. We also know that both these breeds can be prone to dog aggression so we will be getting the dog as a puppy.

Old English Sheepdog
German Shepherd
Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
Siberian Husky
Standard Poodle (I just don't know though that I want another poodle, but I have the most experience with poodles)

the only real reason I see us not going with an American Pit Bull Terrier or an American Bulldog would be if BSL comes into our area. And being that we are still a few years off its possible.

Anyways has anyone done this successfully and how did the dogs do together and adapt?
Any tips and Advice
Thanks.

(Again this is just the beginning of a very long process of finding that perfect 3rd dog, I always wanted 3 dogs. At my moms house growing up the rule was 1 dog at a time, and at my dads well he had 6 dogs at one point. So I come from two extremes...I feel 3 is the perfect number)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Again as I said we are a few years off from bringing in a 3rd dog. But I am a planner and like to have a good concrete plan before I do anything and like to know what I am getting into.

Plus I would like for us to be in our house for awhile before we get one. We have just started looking at some land to build on. But once we have the land, we may not build on it right away

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I don't have any advice, but I wanted to applaud the way you're putting in the time to research everything. :)

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I think you should maybe contact breeders of both the APBT and the american bulldog and see what fits better..remind your husband that it's not always about looks and more about temperment.

From my understanding both can be great around other dogs and children when introduced properly. I love pits myself as well as the american bulldog but i also know they dont fit right with me as a breed..but I do have two standard poodles and two german shepherds without any problems at all!

I think it's great you are planning ahead, but also take this time to contact breeders, most would be happy to help you with the decision and answer any questions you might have about the individual breeds.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also I'm not sure if we are going through a breeder yet or a APBT or Bulldog rescue. I am all about adoption but at the same time I do have a child to think about.

I am happy with either breed the APBT or the American Bulldog, in my experience with the breeds, they have a lot of similarities...but I almost feel like the APBT has the better personality and temperment overall, plus they are a bit smaller. Most APBTs I've known have been between 45 and 55lbs, where I have known american bulldogs to be close to 100lbs.

My husband however likes everything about the APBT except their bad reputation and their size mostly, he wants something a bit bigger. But sadly the American Bulldogs rep isn't much better. He just always like the American Bulldog better and feels they are a better family dog.

Both dogs are prone to dog aggression so I know a sound temperment is key. Which is why I am considering going through a breeder.

Anyways though I plan on talking with our local bully breed rescue soon just to see what they have to say, and I know a local reputable APBT breeder that I will be talking too.

Then again if BSL passes around here, all this is moot

By the way if I didn't mention my current dogs are Minature Poodle (Zachary) and Terrier mix (Sasha)

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Well if you want help finding a real apbt breeder lmk.

If you are still living an apt a lot of reputable breeder will not sell to you. I think even the american bulldog breeders might not sell to you either.

If you think you will be in a house by then , then don't worry about it lol

I think either breed can be fine with a poodle, My bf has an amstaff and boxer mix with pit bull and we have Enzo.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well if you want help finding a real apbt breeder lmk.

If you are still living an apt a lot of reputable breeder will not sell to you. I think even the american bulldog breeders might not sell to you either.

If you think you will be in a house by then , then don't worry about it lol

I think either breed can be fine with a poodle, My bf has an amstaff and boxer mix with pit bull and we have Enzo.

We won't have another dog until we are in our house. And we won't have another dog until our daughter is atleast 7 years old. I won't have a 3rd dog in an apartment (and most apartments don't allow more than 2, ours allows 3 and are pretty lenient but I can't do 3 dogs in an apartment, that is crazy)

Our house plans have temporarily put on hold, we are still going to buy the land but its going to be a year before we start building. so we will be in the house a long time before we get another dog

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I think you would be fine bringing is a puppy with older dogs.

One thing to caution about Bull breeds are the breeders. You have to really dig deep and find a breeder who has extremely stable temperament dogs, among other things.

I would suggest meeting a few Pits and Am.Bulls to see what ones you all get along better with.

If you go the rescue route, find a place who uses foster homes so you know what the dog has been introduced to. If you do go this way you will most likly end up with an adult dog.

Where are you located?

·
Registered
562 Posts
I used to live with my sister and i had Mister (standard) and she had two Am Staffs. It is entirely possible to live with a poodle and a pittie. Both are high energy so it works lol.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

One thing to caution about Bull breeds are the breeders. You have to really dig deep and find a breeder who has extremely stable temperament dogs, among other things.

I would suggest meeting a few Pits and Am.Bulls to see what ones you all get along better with.

If you go the rescue route, find a place who uses foster homes so you know what the dog has been introduced to. If you do go this way you will most likly end up with an adult dog.

Where are you located?

We won't bring in a dog older than 6 months old. That is just my preference, typically I don't even like to go that old. We adopted our Terrier mix from a rescue (where all dogs were fostered) when she was 12 weeks old

·
Registered
4,481 Posts

COLOR]

I think this is a great idea. There are many different scenerios in fostering - and people that do it, do it for the love of dogs and the best interest of them and the right family.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Kaden's very best friend is my boxer/bulldog/pit mix, Duchess

Duchess doesnt pull his hair, and keeps him moving most of the time. Duchess can't play with the other standards, because they surround her and take turns picking on her.

She does well one on one, or two on one.

Shes only 47 ish pounds, and though she weighs the same as Kaden, she is about 6 inches shorter both inheight and weight

Attachments

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Secreto has a Spoo and at least one AmStaff/APBT. (She may have one of each, can't remember.) My brother and SIL have a Chihuahua, a Spoo and a pitbull. They take precautions, but haven't had any problems. They lost their male Chi early last year and he was a very dominant dog. The pitbull showed a temendous amount of patience w/ the little brat.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I had a male Standard Poodle puppy (15 wks. old), a female flatcoat retriever (10 yrs. old), and a male wolf hybrid (5 yrs. old) living in the same house. Very interesting! It worked very well, once Abbe felt comfortable that the wolf hybrid wasn't going to hurt the puppy! They were buds, and got along great.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
We won't bring in a dog older than 6 months old. That is just my preference, typically I don't even like to go that old. We adopted our Terrier mix from a rescue (where all dogs were fostered) when she was 12 weeks old
Why?

Like I said you should be fine, I have a three poodles and Pit Bull who live together just fine. But I trust Cici with anything and everyone.

Also I know you said you are going to take obedience classes but Pits and other Bully breeds need constant training and can be quite stubborn.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have a friend that had a Bull Terrier, two Chihuahuas, a Chinese Crested, and a Jack Russell (she may have been a glutten for punishment :)) and they seemed to all get a long fine. She got the Bull Terrier as a 6 month old puppy. She found a great breeder with dogs that had impeccable temperaments.

I can see why this would be SO important. Just last week, on Friday I had just picked my kids up from school. We were driving to the store 3 blocks away to get a treat (they both got 100's on their spelling tests) and I witnessed two Pit Bull's cross the street right in front of my car and attack a golden lab that was in her own yard, being walked on a leash by her little girl. One Pit grabbed the dogs face and the other grabbed her rear. The owner came running, but it took him a few minutes to get the one off the face. It was HORRIBLE! The little girl was screaming and screaming. My kids were freaked out too. I guess I won't be walking my dogs down that street!! Temperament is KEY!

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
kaden's very best friend is my boxer/bulldog/pit mix, duchess

duchess doesnt pull his hair, and keeps him moving most of the time. Duchess can't play with the other standards, because they surround her and take turns picking on her.

She does well one on one, or two on one.

Shes only 47 ish pounds, and though she weighs the same as kaden, she is about 6 inches shorter both inheight and weight
omg she soooo cute !!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Why on earth would any parent let a little girl walk a large dog, like a Lab, by herself? That's just asking for trouble! How many times do people have to hear "never leave kids and dogs alone" before they finally listen? If an adult had been there, they could've very easily prevented the attack.

Also I've heard many experienced pitbull people say you can't really know how a dog will do w/ other animals, until it is an adult. If a dog is inherently DA, you can't train that out. I don't understand insisting on 6 months or less, especially if you're thinking about rescue.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Why on earth would any parent let a little girl walk a large dog, like a Lab, by herself? That's just asking for trouble! How many times do people have to hear "never leave kids and dogs alone" before they finally listen. If an adult had been there, they could've very easily prevented the attack.

Also I've heard many experienced pitbull people say you can't really know how a dog will do w/ other animals, until it is an adult. If a dog is inherently DA, you can't train that out. I don't understand insisting on 6 months or less, especially if you're thinking about rescue.
That is True HC but there are some lines that are not what breeders call hot.

I think getting an amstaff would be a better fit since most amstaff breeder are breeding DA out of them not saying there are no DA amstaffs but I have notice a big difference between a amstaffs drive and a apbt drive.

Most UKC apbt have amstaff in them so you just have to do you research on bloodlines.

I think a rescue or shelter dog is good idea BUT I HIGHLY RECOMMEND AN EXPERIENCE BEHAVIORIST come with you. I picked out a amstaff mix or pure amstaff ( she has no papers but she looks to be amstaff) and she is the best dog ever. I observed her for a month before we adopted. I asked the AC officer how did she react to the other dogs while he was walking her out he said she did not pay attention to them.

Jasmine is not DA and she is now living with my bf other dog frisco who is DA only to other DA dogs and dominate dogs. You have to pick our dogs wisely according to the pack you have at your home already if you want to get a bully breed. If your poodle is yappy and always jumping at another dogs face I think this will cause problems down the line because a apbt will only tolerate such behavior for so long until they will just control the situation themselves.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts