Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,279 Posts
Certain that Peggy is learning some very useful thing. I think I will try that with Asta. He could carry water and my medicine when we are out and about. Plus, he is always excited to learn.new things.

·
Registered
222 Posts
If Jessie were big enough, I bet she'd love a backpack. She loves having a job to do on her walks, so I make due with occasionally letting her carry her tennis ball.

·
Super Moderator
6,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Super Moderator
6,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is a nice backpack, good job Peggy for tolerating it!
Evie wheres a backpack when we go hiking.
I was surprised, actually! I figured we'd have to slowly acclimate her to the sensation of wearing it, but she sat so patiently as I put it on, even tolerating all my fiddling with the straps.

·
Super Moderator
6,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If Jessie were big enough, I bet she'd love a backpack. She loves having a job to do on her walks, so I make due with occasionally letting her carry her tennis ball.
I bet Jessie looks adorable with her tennis ball! Peggy sometimes decides to bring a toy on her walks or toilet breaks and it cracks me up.

My last dog, Gracie, briefly wore a backpack, but it slipped down under her belly. I should have invested in a better one.

She was pretty small at the time. Maybe 9 lbs? They do make pretty tiny versions! Could carry a poop bag or two :)

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Sailor used to wear a Ruffwear Approach back pack as his service dog vest. I can't remember exactly what I did, but I do remember sewing part of the backpack closed so that it was not so deep. He used to carry dog stuff and my wallet, so I was not burdened with a purse. Wilson just has a small cape by Bold Lead Design that attaches to the back of his harness. The only problem I ever had was that the Ruffwear back pack was too wide for the dog to navigate small airplanes. So, once I knew it was going to be an issue I just removed the pack before boarding.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Sailor used to wear a Ruffwear Approach back pack as his service dog vest. I can't remember exactly what I did, but I do remember sewing part of the backpack closed so that it was not so deep. He used to carry dog stuff and my wallet, so I was not burdened with a purse. Wilson just has a small cape by Bold Lead Design that attaches to the back of his harness. The only problem I ever had was that the Ruffwear back pack was too wide for the dog to navigate small airplanes. So, once I knew it was going to be an issue I just removed the pack before boarding.
Our Charlie wears a Ruffwear backpack with a handle on top. I've trained him to support me on steep rocky downward trails and haul me up treacherous inclines when we are doing mountain hiking. I bought this type because it is the kind used by our local mountain search and rescue teams, and the harness is so well designed that the tracking dogs can be lowered or raised by helicopters with a carabiner on the handle.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Our Charlie wears a Ruffwear backpack with a handle on top. I've trained him to support me on steep rocky downward trails and haul me up treacherous inclines when we are doing mountain hiking. I bought this type because it is the kind used by our local mountain search and rescue teams, and the harness is so well designed that the tracking dogs can be lowered or raised by helicopters with a carabiner on the handle.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk
That's a great feature! Years ago, my little Gracie fell between two rocks. It was surprisingly hard to get her out! A handle to pull straight up would have helped a great deal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts