Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2nd time to try and post this. I PM'd (Start Coversation) with Click 5 days ago and haven't heard back from her which is quite unusual...I also haven't seen her post lately which is also unusual. I am worried with covid as they have so much in Chicagoland. Fingers Crossed that she will check in soom.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I saw a post from her from this morning in the coronavirus thread, so she seems to be on the so far so good plan.

Thinking out loud here... joined PF in Sept 2017 and not too long after, the wildfires struck near where Charmed lives. MMM/Laurel posted like this, asking if anyone knew if she was ok.

I've wondered since then about having a permanent check in/check on thread going in off topic. There's certainly been enough natural disasters, shaky health, and world wide troubles. It's just possible that PF may even be a lifeline for some members, tho I'm not sure how that might work.

·
Premium Member
3,395 Posts
I am so sorry I worried everyone. The outbreak is spreading rapidly through the Chicago area. I haven't been able to think about much else these days. Dog related stuff has faded into the background, for now. I'll try to make an effort to post more often. Forgive me.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I am so sorry I worried everyone. The outbreak is spreading rapidly through the Chicago area. I haven't been able to think about much else these days. Dog related stuff has faded into the background, for now. I'll try to make an effort to post more often. Forgive me.
Glad you are okay! Do whatever is the most mentally/physically healthy thing for you.

·
Premium Member
23,162 Posts
One thing about Click, myself and others here is that we have certain things we are particularly interested in talking about. For Click and me that is training and trialing. Since I had two rally trials for Lily cancelled and two novice trials for Javelin cancelled on April 4th and our training opportunities cut to almost nothing there isn't much to talk about at this point. Since I do general pet training in addition to performance training I have been posting a bit, but not nearly as much as usual. As an immunologist/microbiologist I have also been posting about the pandemic, but again I haven't been here nearly as much as usual. I think that is true for any number of folks.

One other thing, even though this is a public forum people still deserve privacy to post or not post here or anywhere as they want. I think we need to respect that. If someone was worried about me I would prefer to get a PM rather than a public inquiry. I recognize kindly intent in these queries, but also think that feeling pressure to reply could be stressful for some people.

·
Premium Member
3,395 Posts
Catherine kinda hit the nail on the head for me. My focus here is definitely performance related, plus some training threads. With performance cancelled, and no training classes, well, Click is quiet these days.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
We were just worried about you. You are a very special person here!

·
Premium Member
3,395 Posts
Aw, thanks.

I'm trying to adjust to the upheaval in my life. I miss dog training, my classes, practice, the discipline, my teachers, and I miss my students. I've been playing a lot of video games, to be honest.

·
Premium Member
23,162 Posts
Click I just saw on FB in the rally and obedience training groups I belong to a query from one of my favorite judges asking if people would be willing to come to trials where judges would be wearing masks and there would be other safety measures in place. The question was specifically directed to people in the metro NY and other nearby environs. I just don't even know how to answer. Right now I am really feeling sort of hopeless about finishing the RACh with Lily and wonder whether I will ever go in a ring with Javelin. I actually did take him to train at our class location on Tuesday. Since no one other than me and one or two other people are interested in going I feel safe there. I was somewhat astounded to see how much he remembered. Sadly I also got email from one of the places in NJ that I go to for matches saying she is in desperate financial straits. This training facility may not survive.

·
Premium Member
3,395 Posts
I echo your feelings about trials and training clubs. I am emotionally sick from not being able to go to the ring. Noelle is acting up due to the lack of routine. Trick training is okay, but it's not like the demands of class. I suppose I could take this time to heavily load the "ready" cue as the most reinforcing thing in the world. I could train in the yard around heavy distractions. I could... except I'm emotionally destroyed right now. Every time I train my dog I feel grief over not being able to go to the training ring and not knowing when I will trial again. The more I train, the more acutely I feel the loss. It's a messy cycle of pain. I don't know how to escape the sadness except to ignore it. So, I play video games.

And I'm in tears now. I'm heartbroken over losing access to training facilities and trials. Sad that my favorite places to train may end up closing. And sad that I feel that way because so many people are going through so much worse. And I am embarrassed to be this distraught over something so minor compared to sickness and death and job loss and everything, but the hurt is still intense. Perhaps it is made even more painful because I am aware of its insignificance in the grander scheme. And feeling all this hurt all the time just... hurts. So, I play video games.

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
Click, I’m like you. I am in touch with many of my dog training friends on line but it’s not the same. I’m sure that all working dogs are really feeling the loss and change of their normally busy routine.

Masks for all of us in the northeast is required which means that if we get back to training classes and clubs it will be with masks on. I was just thinking about that today when I took a nice long hike outside. I’m not wearing a mask to hike in my neighborhood because there’s plenty of room to social distance....some of my neighbors are and some aren’t. What I was thinking was maybe I should start wearing one often, and indoors when training so we are both used to it.

Instead of feeling too low for too long, I’ve been thinking of some of the weird things that have happened while training at home and wondering if they could be added to our current obedience exercises. One is heeling up steep hills and the more pleasant heeling down steep hills. Add to that heeling while climbing steps. We don’t heel climbing down steps because that occurs when we leave the house and Babykins is too excited.

We”ve practiced dumbbell retrieve over the jump but I had a second jump off to the side from practicing agility and I threw the dumbbell near it so babykins took both jumps out and back. I’m thinking that could be in utility as an advanced dumb retrieve. Even funnier was when I threw the dumbbell in the tunnel and she went in, picked it up, continued through and jumped back. Haha. She was so cute doing that.

I also did some nose work in and around the agility equipment and it was so funny to see her weaving through the weave poles or jumping jumps on the way to finding odor.

i did get the two new titles we earned in our last nose work trial before everything shut down. It was sad to open the envelope not knowing when we would trial again. All the spring trials are canceled.

i taught the last class at one of my clubs before everything shut down. I can’t wait to get back....but only when it’s safe.

·
Registered
367 Posts
All that matters is that you're okay. Hang in there

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
23,162 Posts
We all are and will continue wearing our stress over this in our own way. Nobody should be embarrassed or feel guilty about any of it. And as to misbehaving dogs, both poodles are wild children these days.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I’m missing the training routine too. We’ve been taking a lot of long walks on the nature trails and training weaves with Gracie, and the dogs seem OK, Me, not so much. Work is crazy with so many constant issues related to COVID19 and then the day ends and I’m just home. I was out a minimum of two nights a week at agility, with weekend trials and other activities. All on hold.
But we are healthy and I have a job, so very lucky in many ways, still this feels very oppressive lately.
And now Mr. Orangeness is on the TV, which is another frustration.

·
Premium Member
23,162 Posts
Carolinek That did give me a giggle, Mr. Orangeness. I can't watch those say nothing campaign events (which is really what I think they are, as substitutes for the screaming match rallies). I hope you all know that most people from downstate NY don't talk like that. I sure don't.

And CT Girl so nice to see you post. It has been a very long time since we met at the Quinnipiac Poodle Club in Hamden. I think Lily was just newly turned 3 at that trial.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I echo Carolinek about at the end of the work day, I’m just home. The work/home boundary has been important to me, and now it doesn’t exist. Makes it difficult to mentally shift. Training and trialing is most of my social life, being an introvert at heart. My club, too, is losing money with cancelled classes and trials, but I think that the membership will do what it has to in order to maintain. Neighborhood walks are not a substitute for agility classes for my high energy spoo; he‘s taken to running circles in the yard. I’m remembering the last trial weekend, my NW3 trial & my club’s rally trial both held on 14/15 March, and hoping that all of the participants are safe. And that you all are, too.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Catherine, New Yorkers do get a bad rap don`t they? Undeserved, As stereotypes usually are. My father was from Brooklyn and I did my doctoral work at CUNY Graduate Center in Manhattan, so I have downstate ties.

Scooter Scout, I`m very much an introvert too and The structure of agility practice is good for me. Gracie was 15 months in March and I was so excited to enter her in a debut trial on the 30th, needless to say it was canceled.

NY stay at home is extended to May 15 now, so it will be at least a month before we get back to practice, much less any trials. I`m doing drills with them, but Gracie really needs work on impulse control in environments with lots of distractions.

Reactions: lily cd re
1 - 20 of 24 Posts