Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're taking Elphie to get groomed friday,
and I being VERY careless let her get really shaggy and over grown
((there was an incident with the groomer that terrified me xD so I started looking for a new one))

I'll post some photos of how shaggy she is,
she does look like a hot mess right now :\

but I'd love some advice on what to get her trimmed in
((I like all clips too xD, not partial to any))

Attachments

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Well, remember she's a puppy so it's not going to be easy for the groomer because it doesn't look like she's been shaved much right? I'd just go with whatever they can get done.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats what I was thinking, in her rear region it gets extra matted because of how frizzy it is ((I have to brush it almost twice a day now =\ ))
so I was thinking clipping her body shorter, and FFT done...

would that look dumb?

((she isn't scared of the clippers or a blow dryer, and we turn our shop vac on a few times a day and they just lay in the garage (where the shop vac is) like nothings happening =]] ))

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I'd shave her close to get off that frizzy puppy hair. Ask the groomer to scissor in her legs and top knot, leaving them a bit longer.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I agree, I think a shavedown or close clip would allow you to see how her coat is looking without all the puppy stuff on top. As for the head, it depends on whether you like the shaved down look or prefer to keep it a little longer. Both look cute to me. :)

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I'm going to go with the trimmed down body and leave the topknot a little longer
I it looks more poodley to me xD

I just got off the phone with the groomer and she said it would be a breeze to do that
the quote..."$35"

thats REALLY cheap right?

((hopefully I get more then my moneys worth o.o ))

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, good...I don't want to only pay $35 because its cheaper and get a hatchet job v.v;
the other salons I called priced it around $45-55

and most of them don't do ears or check anal glands ((I asked them if they did))

oh I can't wait to take photos of her all cleaned up xD

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I'd say get her body short (Maybe ask for a #3 or #5) get her face, feet, and tail base done, then leave her ears, tail pom, and top knot fluffy. That'll be easily managably while her coat is changing.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
One more thing.... clean feet. Very important in a Black poodle. I'm actually going to post a separate thread about this.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I'd say get her body short (Maybe ask for a #3 or #5) get her face, feet, and tail base done, then leave her ears, tail pom, and top knot fluffy. That'll be easily managably while her coat is changing.
I agree here, and compared to grooming prices where I am that is really a CHEAP price!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Any groomer that gives you a quote over the phone is probably asking for trouble. Don't be surprised if you are asked to pay more depending on the actual condition of the coat. Sounds like a "smoothie" (aka, 7 all over) may be in order if you have bad matting. It is easier on the dog just to start over and the dog doesn't get grooming anxiety from pulling on the mats....they hurt! Saving the ears, topknot and tail is usually possible.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
she mats really easy, but she isn't matted...does that make sense? ((that sounds confusing to me xD ))
like I brush her every day with the pin brush/slick brush then I use a metal comb to make sure I got all the way to the skin

I've had a a couple referrals, one friend takes her Bichon there and really likes the groomer

but i see it as trial and error
if I don't like what shes done ((Tuesday now)) I won't go back

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I think she's matting because her coat is changing. That will probably stop whenever she gets through this stage and gets into a puppy coat. Harry matted a lot when he was going through his coat change and I had to have him shaved pretty short a couple of times. It would be easier for you both to just shave most of that puppy hair off.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts