Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I am looking to start light-grooming my Standard on my own. I am told he does great with the groomers and behaves very politely. I would like to start to learn to do touch-ups on my own! I have looked at some shavers online and found a few, but wanted to get some suggestions?

I plan on doing the hair under his paws/pads, his belly where he gets the most mats, and his face area like his chin! (I refuse to go around his eyes, I only trust the pros!)

If anyone has any tips or advice I would love to hear it! I want to be the best parent for my pup so staring when he is young I think would be best for him and I to grow comfortable sooner than later! Want to make sure I get a quality shaver :angel2:

Thank you all in advanced!

PS: I looked on this forum for past questions on shavers and was unable to find any solid leads. So if this has been posted already i am sorry!! I do not mean to double post a question when someone has already asked!

·
Premium Member
22,153 Posts
To clip just those areas you would probably do fine with a Wahl Bravura. You can often find them on sale too.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I have looked into these as well, have seen a couple discussions on them. I guess I was unsure of there were certain clippers for certain areas? Again I am very new on this grooming process and want to make sure I do not make any rookie mistakes!

·
Registered
526 Posts
I had the wahl bravura... to be honest i was kind of disappointed with it. It did 'last' 3 years but we had to change the blade out every 3-4 hair cuts or it would get dull. But the worst thing about them is if they get caught at all it the blade will fall off from the body and likely fall on the floor unless you have some quick hands to catch it! Mine also got very hot, very quickly and constantly had to use blade coolant.

I recently decided to invest in the KM10 and I love it! only down fall is i'll have to by other blades as it only comes with a 10 not like the bravura which was 5in1. But im happy it cant fly off anymore with every snag!

·
Premium Member
22,153 Posts
Dina if you use the "black diamond" blades on the bravura they don't get hot, but for a spoo I would not rely on them for all over body clipping I would use a good heavy duty Andis or Oster. For what the OP asked to be able to do though the Bravura is fine. Also all blades can be sharpened but some will need more often depending on the type of blade and the texture of the dog's coat.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Dina!! I appreciate know your experience. I will look into this one you mentioned! I found a lot of good package deals on Amazon but I will look into this one too! Thank you :)

·
Registered
526 Posts
I too thought id just do face, feet, bum too...but once you get a hang of it you'll want to do him all over!

Mine was $200 CDN at petsmart.

Hope you find what works for you :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
I've been using the Wahl Bravura with the metal comb set for FFT and (one time so far) a simple all over body puppy cut. I'm a newbie at grooming, and I find it very easy to use. Not sure whether I'll need something different later when Cleo's adult coat comes in.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Over 11 years of grooming my two I have picked up a lot of equipment but recently I have started just hand scissoring. It doesn't take that much more time and I always have to scissor some after clipping anyway. I just clip FFT with my Wahl and a #30 blade.

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
I use the mini Bravera for Tobys feet {perfect for feet, small and works great} and touch ups. Love it as it is cordless , quiet and small. I'm a novice, only 2 years with using it. I also have the cordless Bravera with Black diamond which I love. ... I've done all but his face with it. (ok, i've done a little on his face from time to time with it) I am very glad I bought them. Through time I've taught myself to do his feet clean with the mini which really helps for clipping and dremling his nails.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I recently was deciding on clippers. I had originally bought an Arco mini with the thought that I would just do feet and tummy on my toy between professional groomings. It was okay and helped me build my confidence, but ultimately did not grow with my confidence- if that makes sense.

So I decided to up my grooming game, mainly because I was never really satisfied with the pet clips I got from groomers. I don't just want a clean, tidy, mat-free dog- I want some style too. I felt the only way I was going to get the top knot length I want, the donut mustache just the way I want it, and the base of the tail done in a way that hides/removes a little frizzy spot he has was to do it myself. And you know what? Even with all my mistakes, I ultimately am happier with how he looks. I've also had a chance to try out some fancier cuts (poorly executed because I'm still learning!) that were fun and further defined for me what I really want. I also read Shirlee Kalstone's book which is a great resource.

I went with an Andis corded clipper. I can use different kinds of blades that are easy to take on and off. I can also use the metal Wahl comb attachments which are AWESOME for speeding things up and building your confidence. At the time I was buying PetEdge had a $99 sale price for the Andis Endurance, sooo that is what I got. It has worked well for me. At $50-60 for a professional groom I am already money ahead, and I've learned a lot about my dog in the process.

Good clippers, metal comb attachments, and a cheap hi-vac dryer (shelandy from Amazon) completely changed my grooming experience from the simple pair of scissors I started with. Do remember to oil your clipper blades and use on dry hair- somehow I missed this memo with my original Arco trimmer.

Good luck! You'll do fine. Any mistakes will grow out. So far none of my friends and family have laughed as hard at my grooming attempts as they did at one particular professional groom that left him looking like a jet-puff marshmallow. One of his nicknames ever since has been Fluff-puff.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Excellent suggestions! I thank everyone! I think I may go with the Andis or Wahl Bravura :) If I ever have to courage to do a full body cut, I will post my results and get y'alls feedback on my rookie work!! Thank you again you are all so very kind!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Just dropping back in to say that I already have to replace my Bravura 5 in 1 blade--after 2 FFT, and one full body. i was doing her face again and felt that it was not as sharp as it should be. Oiled it again to see if that was the problem. Went back to do her feet the next day, and sure enough, not sharp enough. I ordered a couple blade replacements b/c i have no idea where to get it sharpened. As much as i like the Bravura and find it easy to use, i was disappointed that it went dull so quickly.

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
Good to know. When I bought my clippers 2 years ago I dropped it! [ouch!] (nervous, lol-lesson learned the hard way, hang on to your clippers) and the blade broke off :( ... I bought and replaced it with a black diamond blade. I have not had any problems with it. Still sharp and going strong. As I said, I am a novice however I have used both Bravera clippers, Reg & mini many times ... I loved the fact the Reg sized clipper has the 5 in 1 blade {helped teach me} !! I really like them a lot!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Myleen, glad to hear the Black Diamond stays sharp. maybe i'll try that after what i just ordered wears out.

Catherine, i'm curious why the black diamond is not good for all-over trimming on a spoo? Is it too delicate? I see you're suggesting something else for the body, but would it be worth getting the BD just for FFT, and then using the regular wahl 5 in 1 for body? I have used the wahl metal combs with the normal blade for body, though only once so far. I see that getting a second clipper may be in my future, but i'd rather not have to do it yet...

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I use an Andis clipper - but still have the old Oster for backup. I have a personal rule that I never lay the clipper on the grooming table - I put it on the floor. It only took one broken clipper to teach me that.

I keep 3 to 5 of the major blades - 15, 30, and 40 blades. I have two 7 blades and a 5 and a 4. I don't think I have used a 4 or a 5 for quite some time.

It's critically important to keep testing your blades as you work to be sure they are not getting too hot. As soon as they feel too hot I change blades. That's why I have so many of each size. I sometimes use coolant, but it does not seem to do all that much good.

My Zoe (miniature poodle) is now in a Miami clip - more or less. I clip FFT with a 40 blade except that I use a 15 on the belly, butt, and the back of the tail. I use a 10 on the body in the summer and a 7 in the winter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts