Poodle Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thank you OriBoy, I’ve loved watching the changes in my boys, and I look forward to seeing what Eden eventually settles as colour wise…

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
OriBoy, your boy’s eyes are very similar to my boy Eden. He also had the red tinged hue to his coat. Though his brown colour stayed dark until much later than your boy. Does he get a lot of exposure to the sun, as that’s when we noticed the colour change in Eden.
Yes, I have 3.5 acres completely fenced for him to run, so he gets plenty of sun exposure… I would be very pleased if he ended up the color of Eden! 🥰

·
Registered
406 Posts
I'd say cafe au lait
How do cafe's clear?
My girl Beatrice is a super light Cafe au lait, silver beige poodles start clearing (fading) much earlier like silver poodles when you shave their faces at six weeks they will be very light.
Cafe au lait poodle start much later as in years
I'm curious, do you know if the fading factors correspond between black and brown dogs? Ie, is it:
silver corresponds to silver beige (visible very early, ends up pretty light)
cafe au lait corresponds to blue (ends up medium)
faded brown corresponds to "bad black" (gradual, darker but with lots of white hairs)

?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I'm curious, do you know if the fading factors correspond between black and brown dogs? Ie, is it:
silver corresponds to silver beige (visible very early, ends up pretty light)
cafe au lait corresponds to blue (ends up medium)
faded brown corresponds to "bad black" (gradual, darker but with lots of white hairs)

?
I second this question!

·
Premium Member
7,445 Posts
there are folks that can explain color genetics better than I but essentially yes Oonapup
silver beige= silver
cafe=blue
in clearing, the rest is beyond my wheelhouse of understanding

·
Registered
399 Posts
Otter started out very dark brown, but his dad was quite light, and under lighting, i remarked she looked silver (photo). I wanted a brown who stayed dark brown (I used chocolate until corrected by breeder, who said "chocolate" was used by BY breeders; I said "brown" was such a dull word, though:sneaky:)Otter faded, and I didn't love him less. His eyes stayed dark brown, though. so I don't know what he'd be called.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Otter started out very dark brown, but his dad was quite light, and under lighting, i remarked she looked silver (photo). I wanted a brown who stayed dark brown (I used chocolate until corrected by breeder, who said "chocolate" was used by BY breeders; I said "brown" was such a dull word, though:sneaky:)Otter faded, and I didn't love him less. His eyes stayed dark brown, though. so I don't know what he'd be called.
I’ve also always thought “brown” is such a boring description! It’s nice that yours had darker eyes, Ori’s eyes are so light they can look small and squinty in the sunlight, although I think the actual size is quite normal. It will be interesting to see if his coat color changes more dramatically or just lightens, like yours!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts