Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone!

I am wondering what you think these parents will produce in their puppies coat colors.
I believe the father is a silver, and mother white. The owners said the puppies look blue. I am going to visit them next weekend, but I want more opinions as well!

Is it at all possible for the one that appears blackest to stay black? Or is it more likely to clear to blue, or be a bad black?

As for the others, what do you think? Would your best guess be that they will clear to silver, or perhaps blue? I have scoured multiple resources but I still don't understand what colors could be bred from a white and silver mix. They are 3 months in the outside close ups and had just gotten their cuts*.

Thank you :dontknow:

Edit: I am new here, I'm not sure where the pictures went that I attached to this post, but I will try and repost them.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
The picture of the pup with mama looks black, but all the others look blue to me. Maizie, my silver girl, is from a cream mom and silver dad. Her siblings were either black, blue, or silver.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The picture of the pup with mama looks black, but all the others look blue to me. Maizie, my silver girl, is from a cream mom and silver dad. Her siblings were either black, blue, or silver.
I think the lighting helps that puppy look darker, I am pretty sure it's the same one pictured in the profile shot outside. But I do think that one appears to be black.

But based off the pictures you don't think they will take after dad and clear silver? I've read that they should be a lot lighter muzzled by 3 months if they were to be silver. But there's lots of mixed information.

Thank you so much! I am so excited to meet them in person!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From the pictures, not one of them is silver. See pic attached of my silver as a puppy to see the difference in muzzle color. She was 10 weeks old there, but you can tell a silver by 4 weeks with the first face shave.

Thank you you've been very helpful!
And your girl is beautiful!

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
If the dad is silver, then any of his puppies that are born black will clear to blue or possibly silver. They would only clear to silver if the mom carried the fading gene and you cannot tell by looking at a white poodle whether she does or does not carry fading genes. But it looks like none of these puppies are silver. So I would expect that they would all clear to blue. Some may be darker than others. Blue is a great color! Enjoy!

For a good explanation of poodle color genetics, see the MJ Rawlings article in March 2015 issue of the Poodle Club of Canada’s Poodle Scene. Article starts on page 14, so you need to scroll down.
http://www.poodleclubcanada.club/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/2015-PCC-News-2-Spring.pdf

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If the dad is silver, then any of his puppies that are born black will clear to blue or possibly silver. They would only clear to silver if the mom carried the fading gene and you cannot tell by looking at a white poodle whether she does or does not carry fading genes. But it looks like none of these puppies are silver. So I would expect that they would all clear to blue. Some may be darker than others. Blue is a great color! Enjoy!

For a good explanation of poodle color genetics, see the MJ Rawlings article in March 2015 issue of the Poodle Club of Canada’s Poodle Scene. Article starts on page 14, so you need to scroll down.
http://www.poodleclubcanada.club/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/2015-PCC-News-2-Spring.pdf
Thank you so much! You are very knowledgeable on color breeding. I have read your comments else where in this forum and it has helped me with my understanding.
Just to double check from what you are saying it would NOT be possible for any of these pups to stay black and that they'd all clear at least to blue?
I love blue poodles a lot. I may be grabbing 2 brothers, one for my mom and one for me. Her heart dog Joey, a black standard poodle passed away a few years ago and she's made it known she wants another black poodle. However I don't think she would be disappointed with a blue pup, she adores poodles.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Thank you so much! You are very knowledgeable on color breeding. I have read your comments else where in this forum and it has helped me with my understanding.
Just to double check from what you are saying it would NOT be possible for any of these pups to stay black and that they'd all clear at least to blue?
I love blue poodles a lot. I may be grabbing 2 brothers, one for my mom and one for me. Her heart dog Joey, a black standard poodle passed away a few years ago and she's made it known she wants another black poodle. However I don't think she would be disappointed with a blue pup, she adores poodles.
The currently accepted theory is that 2 fading genes produces silver and 1 fading gene produces blue. Since the dad is silver, he has 2 fading genes and must pass one on to each of his offspring. Since there appear to be no silvers in the litter, my guess is that the white mom does not carry any fading genes. So every pup will inherit one fading gene from dad and none from mom. They will all be blue.

However, a lot of blues are quite dark. Here is a funny story for you: I took care of a friend's blue poodle for a week. Another friend was visiting and I explained at some length the difference between black and blue, using my friend's blue poodle as an example. When I was finished with my explanation, my friend looked me straight in the eyes, and said "the dog is black." And really, your average person would agree that a darker blue poodle looks black. I've heard it said that a blue poodle is a black poodle that can be photographed. LOL. There is just enough contrast between eyes and nose and coat color to get a good image. I think your mom would be very happy with a blue poodle, especially if she gets one of the darker ones. And by the time the poodle is finished clearing, your mom will be so bonded that she won't care what color he is!

The most important thing is to go with a very good breeder who is breeding from really good lines and who cherishes their poodles. Stay away from large kennel-based breeders. Best wishes to you and your mom.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for all of your opinions and help! I ended up seeing the puppies last Saturday. We both fell in love!
The boy that I ended up picking out is pretty mellow while maintaining curiosity, it was a hard choice between him and a very confident, possibly alpha pup. He has a lot of silver showing on his muzzle already so I think he isn't blue but actually silver. His color had cleared the most out of the 3 pups, but still isn't as far along as people have said a silver should be at this age.
The other one we picked wasn't showing much silver if any. Perhaps he will stay blue? He is super shy and reserved which we are hoping to help him build up his confidence more.

I will start a new thread once they are brought home, maybe weekly picture updates.

I'm still thinking of names but I tried narrowing down my selection while I keep looking. Here's what I've got so far: Merlot, Noir, Levi, Ocean, Reuben.

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
Thank you for all of your opinions and help! I ended up seeing the puppies last Saturday. We both fell in love!
The boy that I ended up picking out is pretty mellow while maintaining curiosity, it was a hard choice between him and a very confident, possibly alpha pup. He has a lot of silver showing on his muzzle already so I think he isn't blue but actually silver. His color had cleared the most out of the 3 pups, but still isn't as far along as people have said a silver should be at this age.
The other one we picked wasn't showing much silver if any. Perhaps he will stay blue? He is super shy and reserved which we are hoping to help him build up his confidence more.

I will start a new thread once they are brought home, maybe weekly picture updates.

I'm still thinking of names but I tried narrowing down my selection while I keep looking. Here's what I've got so far: Merlot, Noir, Levi, Ocean, Reuben.
priskitty, are planning to get two puppies at one time? I wasn't sure if I read your post correctly.

With two puppies you have more than double the work. You must avoid the two puppies bonding more closely with each other than with you and the other people in the house. You will have to train and walk each dog by itself, ensure that each dog can be apart from each other for periods of time so they are independent of each other and be very careful with socialization as well so the dogs aren't fearful of other dogs and people. There are posts here on PF discussing the problems of getting two puppies at the same time as well as good articles on google. It helps to take each dog to a different puppy class for training and socialization.

My neighbors got two cockipoos from the same litter and they have problems because they didn't put the effort in to properly training them when they were puppies.

It's going to be fun watching your puppies fade. You won't know until they area few years old exactly what their color will be.

I look forward to seeing your photos of your new babies.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
priskitty, are planning to get two puppies at one time? I wasn't sure if I read your post correctly.

With two puppies you have more than double the work. You must avoid the two puppies bonding more closely with each other than with you and the other people in the house. You will have to train and walk each dog by itself, ensure that each dog can be apart from each other for periods of time so they are independent of each other and be very careful with socialization as well so the dogs aren't fearful of other dogs and people. There are posts here on PF discussing the problems of getting two puppies at the same time as well as good articles on google. It helps to take each dog to a different puppy class for training and socialization.

My neighbors got two cockipoos from the same litter and they have problems because they didn't put the effort in to properly training them when they were puppies.

It's going to be fun watching your puppies fade. You won't know until they area few years old exactly what their color will be.

I look forward to seeing your photos of your new babies.

Yes I am aware. Thank you.
I'm excited to bring them home!

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
Well double congratulations are in order - I bet you can't wait to get your puppies home.

Reactions: priskitty
1 - 15 of 15 Posts