Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had Charlie a little over a week and the first two nights, he was up every two hours. Then it cut down to every 4 hours (or twice, lol). He had been sleeping until 4:30 on the dot and I just have to get up with him, because he's ready for his day. Last night, though, he was up at 11:30, 3:30 and then again at 4:45. Thank goodness Joel got up with him then. At 6, when I got up, Joel caught me right before I put wet food in the coffee filter! lol Guess I really need sleep!

·
Registered
546 Posts
When I first got Snoops I tried to crate him at bedtime. He cried all night so I let him out to sleep with me on the bed. It's been like that ever since. LOL!
He would wake me up every few hours to go potty and I would be up by 6am to start our day... He would be ready to play! I've noticed at the 5 month/6month mark that Snoops would sleep in later (7/8am).... And now at the 7month mark he rarely has to get up in the middle of the night to potty. He is also sleeping til 9... Even 10am! Sometimes we wake up earlier to go outside but then it's back to bed.
So hang in there! It will get more restful :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shadow didn't do well with crate training either. He got his jaw stuck in the wire the first night and that was the end of the crate for him. Charlie actually does well in his though and it's been wonderful with potty training. He bit on the wire at first, but our trainer recommended that we use a taste deterrent. She recommended Grannick's bitter apple (she says that flavor works best). We've done that and he has not chewed on his crate since then! He didn't even chew on the crate he was in at the groomers!

Shadow is the best dog for sleeping in. lol. He is so not a morning dog! I am hoping that Charlie will become that way too, but he seems to like early mornings... :(

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Saleen got up every couple of hours, crated or not, when we first got her. She was ummm 13 weeks old then I believe? Anyway she did it for several weeks and then started to sleep later and later, it was a slow process. Now she sleeps until at least 7:30 most days wich is usually when I get up to start getting ready for work on days I don't go in uber early. On weekends she might sleep until 8-ish, On Monday I am proud to say that ALL the dogs slept until 9:30 :) yay, I got to sleep in. None of my dogs are early risers lol. You don't make it in this house if you are hahahaha, I is NOT a morning person :p

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
when we got the minis they would cry to go out in the night also - but little by little they learned to hold it. What you have to be careful of is getting them used to you getting up - that can become a habit. Ginger slept through right away all night and she was 5 1/2 weeks old. Now all 4 dogs stay in their beds until we get up.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ruby is 6 months old and will sleep from about 10pm when I go to bed, until somewhere between 6:30-7am before she starts licking my eye lids to get me up lol. If she is in bed with me she does that well. if she is kenneled (which doesn't happen much anymore unless I am not home and teh night of her spay) she will sleep for a few hrs than start to yell, sleep for a few more than yell etc etc....

Quincy, my crested, would sleep all day as long as you are with him, he is a true momma;s boy and will sleep as long as I do, if I nap he will too without any arguement, but Quincy has ALWAYS been like that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Are you crate training? Cali didn't like her crate when we first got her and she would scream to get out. She quickly learned that screaming would not help her cause and she has since stopped doing that. She has been sleeping, in her crate, through the night since her second night home and it hasn't been a problem. I would highly recommend crate training to help with this.
If you let them out every time they yell and cry they will learn that's the way they can get out. You are rewarding this bad behavior.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He has been sleeping all the way from about 9 or 9:30 until about 4:30. He whimpers and I take him out to potty. I was staying up with him, but I was afraid he'd make that a habit, so now I put him back in until about 6. And yes, we have been crate training him.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I totally agree with using the crate - you don't want any surprises in the morning!!

Another thing I recommend to someone with a puppy that doesn't like to sleep at night: Don't let them sleep during the day. When you get home from work - or whatever works with your schedule, they need to stay AWAKE! If they look sleepy and are nodding off, get them up and playing. So... by the time YOU are ready to sleep, so are they. Get them accustomed to YOUR schedule - not the other way around. :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
My three are just perpetual teenagers, as they can sleep until 10 a.m. without any problems. I usually make sure that they go out to the backyard between 10 and 11 pm, then it's bedtime. All three just go into the hibernation mode till the next morning. I get up around 7 a.m., none of them stir. Occasionally, Romeo (my cream male) will lazily open an eye or two and look at me with the "are you really getting up this early" look in his eyes and goes back to sleep. My dogs just don't do mornings. lol

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Sounds like things are steadily improving!

I have crate trained all of my dogs. They go in at my bedtime; which is about 11:00 p.m. and they sleep until my husband gets up around 5:30 a.m. for work. He lets them out to relieve themselves.

Taffy did not like her crate at all at first and she cried on and off during the night. I do not get up to let them out during the night either because it only encourages them to continue to get up at night. It wasn't long before she started sleeping through the night and seldom had a surprise for me in the morning.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Lucky for mr all 3 of my dogs as puppies would not sleep in the crate without crying all night. I let them sleep in our bed and they would go right to sleep and sleep all night. Most pups will wake you crying or walking around on the bed first. I have never had one go in the bed. I guess they feel more secure.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow! You are lucky to have Gracie sleep so late! Shadow would sleep as late as I wanted to, but the latest so far with Charlie has been 6:30. That was an awesome day! :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
I basically trained my first SP to wake up and go out in the middle of the night. She was 8 months old, fully capable of holding it all night, but because she was very structure oriented, she wanted to always get up and go out at the same time. Eventually I started to ignore her, and she would go back to sleep.
My Mini was sleeping through the night easily by 4 months. My other SP's were sleeping though at 10-12 weeks. (thank god cuz momma does not do well with lack of sleep!)
I also made sure to keep them up as much as possible, so they sleep when I want to sleep!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts