Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the US and looking for a toy poodle pup with its tail intact.

We are ready to get a companion for our 9yr old toy poodle. She was a rescue and still has her full tail. It is so expressive and always wagging, even when she's curled into a little ball. Really, it's her best feature.

I have put a lot of work into finding reputable breeders to talk to while looking for a new puppy. They have all been patient and told me a lot of things that have helped in my search. However, they all breed for show, which requires the tail to be docked. Since that happens within the first week, there basically are no undocked toy poodles being bred in my area.

I talked to a wonderful woman in Louisiana who doesn't dock tails and I hope very much to get one of her cuties, but the litter sizes are so small and everyone's lists are full. I really want to spread out some and see if there are any other breeders like this to give myself as good a chance as I can of getting a pup this year.

I'm in the New England area, so some Canadian breeders might work too, I just don't know how complicated that makes things. Anyway please help if you can and thanks!

·
Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
2,809 Posts
I don't hear a lot about toy breeders who don't dock. If the folks here can't direct you, your best bet might be to ask the breeder in LA.

·
Super Moderator
2,721 Posts
It certainly might be worth considering Quebec or southeastern Ontario once the border reopens. I got my first two spoos in Canada, as I couldn't find an American breeder who didn't dock at that time.
Here is a a CKC link to some toy breeders. I have no personal experience with any of them, so I couldn't say which are stellar and which are awful.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Hi and Welcome! Good suggestions above.

I'd recommend focusing on the Canadian breeders for one big reason. The AKC doesn't allow undocked tails in the conformation ring. I'm assuming that your research has included health testing and why having proven dogs meeting the breed standard are elements of conscientious breeders.

The Canadian Kennel Club is moving away from docked tails so you'll likely stand a better chance there.

If you haven't already, The Poodle Club of America offers breeder referrals, nationally down to your local area if there's a club there. The referral folks are knowledgeable and if they know of any, they'll let you know.

The United Kennel Club might be an option too. I don't remember off the top whether they allow undocked tails in the conformation ring.

Tail
The tail is straight, set high, and normally docked to a length proportionate to the size of the dog. Whether standing or moving, the tail is carried erect.

Serious Faults: Low tail set, tail curled or carried over the back.

Reactions: cowpony

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I would look at either Canadian breeders or breeders that show in UKC. Should be findable, but will require extra effort. For AKC show most poodles get a long dock so they do still have a longish tail. Most people have no idea mine is docked.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts