Poodle Forum banner

81 - 100 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
I’m so excited for you! You are going to be so ready when your pup finally joins you. I have almost two days under my belt with my Hugo and am grateful for all the help and good advice this forum offers. A tip for you based on my novice experience: I only got a few toys, but a range of different textures/sounds/action and in one day Hugo has made his preference known for crinkly things and is definitely into chewing but doesn’t quite understand how to or else I haven’t provided the right things yet. We’ll have to compare notes!

·
Registered
Standard Poodle (arriving April 21st !!)
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Just a clarification: he's the dad of nine litters or nine pups?
There are 12 puppies from 2 litters. One litter of 9, Maslow and Macy, one little of 3, Amelia and Raggs. Just one litter is his. Corrected my other post for clarity.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
I’m so excited for you! You are going to be so ready when your pup finally joins you. I have almost two days under my belt with my Hugo and am grateful for all the help and good advice this forum offers. A tip for you based on my novice experience: I only got a few toys, but a range of different textures/sounds/action and in one day Hugo has made his preference known for crinkly things and is definitely into chewing but doesn’t quite understand how to or else I haven’t provided the right things yet. We’ll have to compare notes!
Crinkly things! Make me think of empty water bottles!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Thank you for sharing your setup. I totally agree... Wish I saw your set up earlier. I created the same set up about 4 months ago, after getting my standard pup. I love it. My Bella is 5 months old and she's is getting big, but she is used to getting locked up during the night in that big area.
I will be using this crate/x-pen set up as well.

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,816 Posts
Tom, I thought of your new puppy today when Peggy found this toy in her friend’s yard and promptly fell in love with it.

It’s impressively durable and you can stuff it with yummy things like small dabs of peanut butter.

Planet Dog “Orbee Tuff” toys are also really good. Not sure if I mentioned it previously, but Peggy’s Orbee Tuff soccer ball has been going strong for at least a year now. I’ll sometime stick two yak cheese nubs in there, along with some kibble, and it turns into a delightfully noisy treat dispenser. Peggy will nose it around for ages.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Tom, I thought of your new puppy today when Peggy found this toy in her friend’s yard and promptly fell in love with it.

It’s impressively durable and you can stuff it with yummy things like small dabs of peanut butter.

Planet Dog “Orbee Tuff” toys are also really good.
Thanks! I'll have to check out the "Orbee Tuff" line-up!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
I got to see the gang of 12 again today. I'll know after Monday 4/12 (Volhard Test day) which one will be mine! My preference is the cream male I'm holding in the 1st picture. I'll have one more visit next week and then I can pick him up as soon as the 20th to the 25th. The last photo has both the Momma (Macy, left) and Pappa (Maslow, right) in it. Such wonderful dogs and puppies! 2 weeks to go!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
So exciting! Will you be there on Monday to observe the testing?
No. I didn't even think about that, and she didn't invite me. She's going to have a lot on her hands with 12 puppies to have tested. I can't imagine it's ordinary for buyers to witness the test.

·
Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
2,718 Posts
No. I didn't even think about that, and she didn't invite me. She's going to have a lot on her hands with 12 puppies to have tested. I can't imagine it's ordinary for buyers to witness the test.
I imagine not, but it would be interesting!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Aww .

Tom, are you at the top of the wait list? Do you get first pick?
My breeder picks them for us based on our needs (pet/companion/therapy/special needs/etc.), the results of the Volhard testing, and considerations for our personal preferences (specific dog, male/female/color). I will know which one is mine after Monday. I'll be 100% happy with any one of them. They are all wonderful. I think she is a great breeder/puppy socializer!

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,816 Posts
My breeder picks them for us based on our needs (pet/companion/therapy/special needs/etc.), the results of the Volhard testing, and considerations for our personal preferences (specific dog, male/female/color). I will know which one is mine after Monday. I'll be 100% happy with any one of them. They are all wonderful. I think she is a great breeder/puppy socializer!
Tom, I want my next puppy from your breeder! This has been such a wonderful process for you, and so fun for us to experience vicariously. I think we’re all anxiously awaiting news of which little poodle will be yours!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
Tom, I want my next puppy from your breeder! This has been such a wonderful process for you, and so fun for us to experience vicariously. I think we’re all anxiously awaiting news of which little poodle will be yours!
I will tell her that! She'll enjoy hearing it! For my visit yesterday, she is such a nice person, I decided to bring her a present. She loved it!
I bought one for myself too! (prominently in my face every time I'm on Facebook!). Gotta have a little hint of poodle whimsy in the garden! They are intended to develop a patina (surface rust) in time. Rusty metal art looks good in the garden.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
So my breeder, Donna at Wool & Wind, got the litter of (9) Volhard tested yesterday. All (9) pups got between a 3.0-3.3 rating! I don't know what makes for a perfect score, but that's got to be close! The litter of (3) will be tested Monday. After that, Donna will determine the best puppy placements and let me know which one is mine! So close to being a fur daddy! They are all so perfect, it almost seems better to not know which one is mine and have the anticipation and surprise knowing she has my best interest in mind! Tick, tock, tick, tock! The Gotcha date has been moved in from the 23, 24, 25th to the 20-25th (if we're ready earlier). I believe I will get mine on the 21st now. So 12 days to go! So exciting!

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
81 - 100 of 168 Posts