Poodle Forum banner

61 - 80 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
Standard Poodle (arriving April 21st !!)
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
I let my puppies play with golf balls until they are around 5 months old. The golf ball is the perfect size for a spoo puppy mouth. When the puppy gets to ~5 months the puppy is big enough that it becomes possible for him to swallow the ball. At that point I retire the golf balls.

Our mutt pup girls loved chewing on carrots when they were teething. For some reason none of my spoos have liked carrots, but YMMV.

Galen's second favorite toy, after his squeaky balls, is his flirt pole. I made one very cheaply using thin PVC pipe. Here's a link to the thread: Difficult Poodle Puppy
Interesting dental theory. Seems plausible especially if he's retrieving it from a dirt covered area. Oh yeah! I forgot a flirt pole! I'll make one sometime. Thanks fir the tips!

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,816 Posts
You must be having so much fun shopping! Thanks for letting those of us with chronic puppy fever live vicariously through you. :)

I used to feed my last girl Zuke’s. She loved them. Just be aware that any treats containing vegetable glycerin can cause soft stools. Some dogs have a higher tolerance for it than others, and this can change over time.

Because poodles are prone to allergies, we had the best luck with single-ingredient training treats cut into kernel-sized pieces for easy eating while on the move. Bits of low-fat mozzarella, chicken breast, etc. By pound, these treats are often cheaper than the processed versions made specifically for dogs, and they’re great for enforcing a really good recall. At home, where there are minimal distractions, puppies will often happily work for kibble. Peggy has her meal kibble (Farmina) and a special “treat kibble” (Honest Kitchen).

As for a flirt pole, I love how lightweight this one is:

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
I switched Galen from Kong SqueakAir balls to Kong Squeezz balls right after Pogo died. I'm hoping the smooth texture of the Squeeze balls protects Galen's teeth better. Pogo was a tennis ball addict, while his littermate Snarky preferred to chew bones. The difference in their teeth was quite noticeable. Pogo had very worn canines and lot of tartar. Snarky had relatively clean teeth and sharp canines. My theory is the fuzzy tennis balls Pogo preferred held grit and gradually wore his teeth down. The bones Snarky preferred didn't hold grit, and the chewing helped reduce tartar. I'm hoping the Squeezz balls I'm giving Galen will hold less grit and thus wear down his teeth less. I'll report back in 7 or 8 years.;)
Cowpony, did Pogo play with tennis balls? The fuzzy layer on tennis balls acts like sandpaper on teeth. It’s designed to be resilient when bounced on the ground and not get worn down. Tennis balls should not be used as dog toys. The Kong Squeezz balls looks like a much smarter choice.

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
94Magna_Tom, great haul for your lucky puppy. Once you get your puppy you will find they have certain preferences.

Since I’m still dealing with a very young puppy, my best advice is get as much sleep now. 😛

I prefer to use simple treats such as cut up turkey or chicken - home cooked without lots of spices. I bake low fat hamburger. String cheese is a good choice too. I also buy freeze dried meat for dogs. All are high value treats that you can easily break up into whatever size you need. If your dog has allergies or intolerances you have been treating with limited ingredients so it’s easy to figure out where the problem is. Lots of those packaged treats have many chemicals and ingredients that aren’t ideal.

Reactions: 94Magna_Tom

·
Super Moderator
2,595 Posts
Cowpony, did Pogo play with tennis balls? The fuzzy layer on tennis balls acts like sandpaper on teeth. It’s designed to be resilient when bounced on the ground and not get worn down. Tennis balls should not be used as dog toys. The Kong Squeezz balls looks like a much smarter choice.
His favorite toy was the Kong SqueakAir ball. It looks like a tennis ball, but it's not the same. Pogo didn't love true tennis balls due to the lack of squeak.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
I definitely plan on using chicken, cheese, beef and other treats when I'm at home. The prepared treats are for keeping in my pockets or treat pouch just so I always have something not so messy to carry around.
And I will keep track of daily calories and be sure to minimize the treats so both calories and nutrition are up to par.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Today I bought a 12x8 piece of linoleum (vinyl) from Home Depot to cover my white oak flooring in the living room. This is where I will have his crate and x-pen. My hardwood floors have never been polyurethaned, only waxed and oiled. I'd rather be safe than risk urine and poop getting into the pours and seams of the flooring. Lays nice and flat, and easily cuts with good scissors. $85 out the door. I'll need it until he's reliably potty trained. If you look at the right side of the picture (under the end table legs), you'll notice the oak flooring. The linoleum is oak as well, but the "seams" run the other way on the vinyl. It should do the trick! It actually looks really nice too!

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,816 Posts
Great idea! I thought we did a great job of keeping puppy Peggy tethered, confined, or under our watchful gaze at all times. But a few months ago I found a pee-stained corner of curtain!! A relic of puppyhood antics that somehow got completely overlooked.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Latest puppy visit. Pups are 5 weeks old today. The largest one, Judy, is 5.0 lbs. The rest are 4+ lbs.
Had a bit of luck today too. While I was there, Donna (the breeder) got a call from her sister letting her know she would be over shortly with the Daddy dog. She invited me to stay until she arrived if I wanted to meet him, so, of course, I did! The adult dog in the pictures is the sire, 'Maslow', he's 6 y/o. He's very friendly, but wasn't real kean on 12 puppies looking for his teats!
4 weeks to go now!

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
This is so wonderful that you can spend real time with them all!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 · (Edited)
This is so wonderful that you can spend real time with them all!
Today's visit was 2½ hours. We've hit it off pretty good. All 12 pups got their first grooming (by her) today. Face, feet, and tail shaves. She said none of them put up a fuss during grooming either! Such cuteness!

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
You are so lucky to be able to visit often and get to know the puppies and it’s helping to social all the puppies. So cute, little bundles of joy.

Reactions: 94Magna_Tom

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Not kidding about the pups looking for his teats! When he first arrived, they were all over him like a hobo on a hot dog! He had "words" for them. Especially when they found his one large "teat"! They all got the idea soon enough! He was stern and gentle at the same time.

·
Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
2,718 Posts
What wonderful experiences, Tom. What did you make of Maslow? He's very pretty and seems calm and good natured from the photos.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 · (Edited)
What wonderful experiences, Tom. What did you make of Maslow? He's very pretty and seems calm and good natured from the photos.
I'm glad I got to meet him. He's a very handsome dog. It's probably not the fairest place to judge him on his personality because he is her prize stud, and usually when he's over, he has a job to do. He was very excited around the 4 other female adults in the house. When he was with the puppies (he's the Dad of 9 of them), after his initial disciplinary vocals, he was very nice and loving, gently sniffing and licking the pups. Still very excited, but I loved him! The sister that keeps him also said he was very excited today and out of normal character.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi!

Most reputable breeders will choose a dog for you based on your needs, wants, and desires, :).. they are really good at observing their puppies and placing you with the perfect dog

I highly suggest a crate/dog run set up. Like this : View attachment 474008

For puppies, I like interactive toys, just google "dog puzzle toys"... they are perfect to pop a few treats inside and keep your puppy busy. Buy lots of things with several different textures at first, too, exposure is key!

since you will be home a lot, I'd suggest spending a few hours a day in a seperate room, so you don't end up with a huge seperation anxiety issue

I'm sure your breeder knows what food their dogs do well on, you can ask them what to feed your dog.

umm, other stuff would include things like nail dremils, nail clippers, clippers, etc.. but I don't know much about these tools :).. Somebody else will chime in, I'm sure.
Thank you for sharing your setup. I totally agree... Wish I saw your set up earlier. I created the same set up about 4 months ago, after getting my standard pup. I love it. My Bella is 5 months old and she's is getting big, but she is used to getting locked up during the night in that big area.

61 - 80 of 168 Posts