Poodle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
Standard Poodle (arriving April 21st !!)
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
They grow so fast! It's hard to tell by the still pictures, but they are all very active. Over the course of an hour, they each took turns cranking up their energy level. You'll know as soon as I know which one is mine (won't know until just days before I get him)! Honestly I have no preference. They're all perfect puppies! I do know she is keeping the red one.

·
Premium Member
13,225 Posts
How lovely to be able to visit regularly and get to know the pups - I shall be watching for updates and the Big Reveal!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Wow, gorgeous puppies! I’m so excited for you! In this age of COVID precautions you are so lucky to be able to see these puppies once a week! I look forward to learning which one goes home with you.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
When I see all these gorgeous pups, it gives me "the fever" but then I remind myself that my 3 year old is still just a big puppy! There is always more training to do, so I can keep myself busy and avoid getting swept in. LOL Can't wait to ee your pup.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
When I see all these gorgeous pups, it gives me "the fever" but then I remind myself that my 3 year old is still just a big puppy! There is always more training to do, so I can keep myself busy and avoid getting swept in. LOL Can't wait to ee your pup.
I'm already thinking about getting a second one after the first gets to maybe 1½-2 years old. Getting way ahead of myself though! Have you wanted a 2nd?

·
Premium Member
24,031 Posts
I do have a 2nd! I resisted adding the younger one (Javelin) until Lily and Peeves were about 7 years old. 3 years a part would have been fine, but the right pup came along a little later than that. I don't think (even though he is already 5) that much less than 3 years apart would ever be in my thinking.

Reactions: 94Magna_Tom

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I don't think (even though he is already 5) that much less than 3 years apart would ever be in my thinking.
Sorry for your loss. Why not less than 3 years? My thoughts are that at 1½-2 their still young and could benefit with another doggy buddy. Also, as you've (sadly) experienced, when one dog passes on, you are not left dog-less.
Note that I haven't even got my first yet!

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
I'm already thinking about getting a second one after the first gets to maybe 1½-2 years old. Getting way ahead of myself though! Have you wanted a 2nd?
Yes indeed, I do think of a 2nd one. But I'm not so sure I want to go thru all the puppy tuff again, I'm getting too old and my boy still needs much of my attention. These poodles do need something to do everyday though he is happy to just chill now and sleep. But boredom isn't good so we do little treat n train and when the weather permits he loves retrieving in the backyard. Yesterday I did some weeding and he helped. LOL Prior to pandemic there were lots of standard coming thru our rescue, not so much lately but I may go that route later who knows. And I too would wait at least the 3 years, with my guy maybe 4. LOL

·
Premium Member
24,031 Posts
In my experience spoos can still be very immature in many ways up to about when they turn 3. I want the senior dog to be a good mentor such as they can be for the younger one. If I had gotten Javelin when Lily and Peeves were 2 chaos would have been in charge of our household.

Thank you for your condolences. I knew we would not be left dogless even if we didn't have Javelin since poodles age biologically slower than GSD though. It is one of the hard things about GSD, they don't tend to live more than 12 years or so. A price of being a really big dog.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Bought some things to keep my puppy entertained! I got chews, tugs, fluffy, throws, squeeks and snorts, and brain teasers. What did I forget? Which ones should I leave in the pen, and which one should be reserved as special toys? Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,815 Posts
Woo hoo! Lucky pup! Anything with pieces that can be chewed off and/or swallowed should be reserved for playing with you or while supervised. But you’ll get to know your pup’s chewing habits. They vary among individuals, and can also evolve (and regress) over time.

You’ve got a great variety of textures there, which is perfect. But one thing I don’t see is an edible chew. We spent a lot of time in Peggy’s pen with her, holding a yak cheese chew for her to gnaw. Even now, she’ll bring them to us to hold. Occasionally she’ll even still try to crawl into my lap.

If your puppy digests the yak cheese okay, it’s a great chew option. Just yak milk, salt, and lime. Easy to digest. And when there’s only a little stub left, you can pop it in the microwave and it puffs into a crunchy treat.

We also held bully sticks for Peggy, and let her chew them while she learned to be tethered a little ways from us, and while we puttered in and out of sight, but ugh they are stinky.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Thanks for the feedback! Today I was concentrating on toys. I just looked online at the yak cheese chews and, although a bit pricey, the reviews are very good! I'll definitely try them out. Any particular ones (hint, hint, LINK?), you'd recommend? I read to keep away from any rawhide chews.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I think the only ones that could be shredded and/or eaten are the fur babies, the stuffed bear, the pink hippo, and the food puzzle. The rest are indestructible (lol, JINX!)!

·
Super Moderator
8,815 Posts
I wonder if covid is causing supply issues, because the prices on Chewy are higher than normal, and some of our usual yak cheese brands are not in stock, like “Bones & Chews” and “EcoKind.”

Peggy does like these and they’re available now: CHEWMETER Yaky Mixed Himalayan Cheese Dog Treat, 9.75-oz bag - Chewy.com

I like Chewy because they stand behind everything they sell. Keep an eye on prices, though. They tend to fluctuate, and the bulk options aren’t always the cheapest.

We also frequent our local independent pet supply store. We have a fabulous one here. They’ll order us anything they don’t have in stock.

·
Super Moderator
8,815 Posts
I think the only ones that could be shredded and/or eaten are the fur babies, the stuffed bear, the pink hippo, and the food puzzle. The rest are indestructible (lol, JINX!)!
Ha! Your poodle is already laughing. ;) Such fun awaits.

Rope toys are puppy favourites, but do have to be watched carefully as they pose a major intestinal obstruction hazard (worth googling). They’re the sort of toys that poodles destroy with great stealth—quietly unravelling and swallowing while you obliviously enjoy the silence.

That brings up a good puppy rule: Be very suspicious of silence!! Lol.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
And stocked up on some treats. The Full Moon treats are rather large (37 kcal ea.) , so they'll be cut into smaller (like 10!) pieces.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Thanks for the rope toy tip/advice! I only got one small one of those. I'll hold that aside for special occasions as well!
IMG_20210326_005430050.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2,592 Posts
I switched Galen from Kong SqueakAir balls to Kong Squeezz balls right after Pogo died. I'm hoping the smooth texture of the Squeeze balls protects Galen's teeth better. Pogo was a tennis ball addict, while his littermate Snarky preferred to chew bones. The difference in their teeth was quite noticeable. Pogo had very worn canines and lot of tartar. Snarky had relatively clean teeth and sharp canines. My theory is the fuzzy tennis balls Pogo preferred held grit and gradually wore his teeth down. The bones Snarky preferred didn't hold grit, and the chewing helped reduce tartar. I'm hoping the Squeezz balls I'm giving Galen will hold less grit and thus wear down his teeth less. I'll report back in 7 or 8 years.;)

·
Super Moderator
2,592 Posts
I let my puppies play with golf balls until they are around 5 months old. The golf ball is the perfect size for a spoo puppy mouth. When the puppy gets to ~5 months the puppy is big enough that it becomes possible for him to swallow the ball. At that point I retire the golf balls.

Our mutt pup girls loved chewing on carrots when they were teething. For some reason none of my spoos have liked carrots, but YMMV.

Galen's second favorite toy, after his squeaky balls, is his flirt pole. I made one very cheaply using thin PVC pipe. Here's a link to the thread: Difficult Poodle Puppy

41 - 60 of 168 Posts