Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Standard Poodle (due April 20th or so)
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!
I took an early retirement package from Pratt and Whitney last July. So I'm 6 months into my new, non-working, life. I'm single and have always wanted a dog, but could never bring myself to get one because of being away from home 9+ hours a day. Well now that's not an issue anymore so I can finally get one! I decided on a Standard Poodle because, from what I understand, they are friendly, loyal and loving, love exercise, like water, like retrieving, and are very smart. I also wanted a medium/large dog (50-70 #'s). I hope I turn out to be a good trainer. I intend to spend an enormous amount of time with him (her?) working on training, mostly obedience (and potty training of course) for starters. My breeder has 2 bitches and is expecting 12 puppies. One of the Mom's just whelped (9) healthy pups Saturday, and the other is due today. I'm so excited! I'm certain to be asking many questions here in the future! I'm expecting to visit the breeder in about 2½-3 weeks to see them. I'm not sure how to make the best selection, but I'm sure it'll work out beautifully. Any advise on puppy selection, or home preparation, or goodies/gadgets I should get are very welcome! Glad to have found this forum. Looking forward to meeting all of you!
Tom

·
Registered
487 Posts
Hi!

Most reputable breeders will choose a dog for you based on your needs, wants, and desires, :).. they are really good at observing their puppies and placing you with the perfect dog

I highly suggest a crate/dog run set up. Like this :

For puppies, I like interactive toys, just google "dog puzzle toys"... they are perfect to pop a few treats inside and keep your puppy busy. Buy lots of things with several different textures at first, too, exposure is key!

since you will be home a lot, I'd suggest spending a few hours a day in a seperate room, so you don't end up with a huge seperation anxiety issue

I'm sure your breeder knows what food their dogs do well on, you can ask them what to feed your dog.

umm, other stuff would include things like nail dremils, nail clippers, clippers, etc.. but I don't know much about these tools :).. Somebody else will chime in, I'm sure.

Reactions: 94Magna_Tom

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply.
Hi!

Most reputable breeders will choose a dog for you based on your needs, wants, and desires, :).. they are really good at observing their puppies and placing you with the perfect dog

I highly suggest a crate/dog run set up. Like this : View attachment 474008

For puppies, I like interactive toys, just google "dog puzzle toys"... they are perfect to pop a few treats inside and keep your puppy busy. Buy lots of things with several different textures at first, too, exposure is key!

since you will be home a lot, I'd suggest spending a few hours a day in a seperate room, so you don't end up with a huge seperation anxiety issue

I'm sure your breeder knows what food their dogs do well on, you can ask them what to feed your dog.

umm, other stuff would include things like nail dremils, nail clippers, clippers, etc.. but I don't know much about these tools :).. Somebody else will chime in, I'm sure.
Yes, this is pretty much exactly what I was planning on getting for a crate/pen set up for starters. I've basically got 2 months to get my house puppy ready, and get all the critical items procured. I'll be sure to get a host of tug toys, chew toys, and some soft stuffed toys, and several different puzzle feeder toys. This will be my 1st dog ever (except when I was a very young kid, we had a dog growing up) so I'm sure there will be lots of learning to be had!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you haven't already, let the breeder know what you plan to do with your dog. Agility, retrieving (my standard would not retrieve), tracking, dancing, obedience, etc. Decide how you want to feed. www.dogfoodanalysis.com rates commercial foods, but some of us feed raw.
I haven't yet, but I will let her know what my intensions are. Mostly looking for a loyal companion that goes everywhere with me, and loves to play, train, try new things. I definitely don't know what I'll be doing for food yet, I had intended to ask the breeder about what she recommends. I will look over the link you attached for some insight. Thanks for the reply!

·
Premium Member
3,662 Posts
Hi and Welcome to you and Spoo!

I'm going to add a list and some links helpful for new owners :)

This is an article about the puppy's point of view during the massive life change for them (and you!)

Kidnapped From Planet Dog - Whole Dog Journal
Sometimes new owners tell me getting a puppy was supposed to be fun, but all I feel is stress. Here's what new owners need to remember.
www.whole-dog-journal.com

and a general supply list with tips and hints, compiled from members suggestions over the years:

New Pup/Dog startup

Crates, Carriers, Exercise Pens, Beds/Bedding, Travel
Harnesses, Collars, Leashes
Food, Water, Bowls
Enzyme Cleaner, Pee pads, Poo bags, Paper Towels
Toys
Grooming
Health, Vet, Vaccinations Vs Socialization, Insurance, Care Credit, Emergency funds
Puppy proofing inside and out, including kitties

This is really more your basic startup info. It's taken from other threads and posts that many active members of PF has contributed to. I hope more Pfer's will add to this, comment or correct any mistakes.

Crates
Hard side plastic or wire is best for early days.
If you choose wire, be sure there are no sharp bits, and be very sure that the door will stay fully latched with a bumptious puppy in it. It's not common but there have been some concerning reviews mentioning injuries.
No collars in the crate for safety.
Look for one in the size you expect them to grow into with a divider and use the divider to keep them comfortably cozy (stand up, turn around, sleep) til then.
Use a blanket as a crate cover.
Use a washable bath rug/towels or sherpa crate mat for bedding.
Put something leak proof on the floor of the crate or under it.
Depending on the layout of the house/apt, consider 2 crates, one for the sleeping space, one for the living space.

If you can manage it, have the pup sleep in your bedroom. They just think they're on an adventure until bedtime, especially the first night, rolls around. Suddenly they realize that NOTHING is familiar, no scent, warmth or comfort of mom or siblings. They are Alone.

Ask the breeder to do this or bring a towel or blanket to get mom and siblings scent on it, to comfort them.
Keeping them in the same room allows you to hear if they are unwell or need to go out. Expect to have the young ones out several times during the night for a while.
Set a periodic alarm to beat them to it.
Don't count on a lot of sleep the first days or weeks.
Taking a few days off from work or work from home, if you can, will really help set routines and gives some time to get to know each other.
Find out if the breeder had them on a daily routine and try to follow that for a few days.
They're facing so many instant and incomprehensible changes. Keep what you can the same for a while.

Ex Pen
This expands their relaxation space but keeps them contained and out of mischief.
Food and water bowls as well as pee pads can be in that space.
Use a leak proof flooring here also.
These can be plastic or wire or even pop up soft side. (Same caution on wire construction.)

Beds and bedding
This may depend on the pups age and what they're used to. A young pup probably doesn't need one just yet. An older pup or dog may already be using one.

Carrier
These are generally only good up to about 15lbs but have their place.
A smaller crate with handles can double as a carrier.

Travel
Keeping your pup comfortable and safe in the car is important.
Depending on size and age, you might use a carrier, a crate, or a harness with seat belts.
Sleepypod brand is a highest safety rated product. Testing was done by the independent Center for Pet Safety, with some testing sponsored by Subaru.
There are a number of threads covering other brand suggestions. You can use the Search function to find them.

Harnesses, Collars and Leashes
Harnesses are usually a better safety choice for smaller pups due to potential trachea injury from collars, but it may not be the best choice for a pup who wants to pull.
Collars will carry tags and ID but don't have to be worn inside the home due to potential choking hazards.

Food, Water, Bowls
It's best to keep them on the same food as the breeder had for a while. They're already under stress from the abrupt change in their lives and this is one thing that doesn't usually need to change immediately.
They may go off their feed as it is, so keep an eye on that.
Toys are especially subject to hypoglycemia. This can very quickly become fatal. Look for the sticky on it.
If/when you want to change foods, come back to PF for suggestions.
Stainless steel or ceramic is best for their food and water bowls.
You might even consider filling a bottle with the water they've been drinking at the breeders and mix it with the water at their new home, to acclimate.

Enzyme Cleaner, Pee pads, Poo bags, Paper Towels, Bitter Apple Spray
Pretty much all self explanatory.
Natures Miracle is usually recommended for enzyme cleaner.
Bitter Apple Spray is to keep them from mouthing and biting on what you don't want them to.

Toys
Have a selection of several different types on hand.
Check with your vet for safe chewing toys. They also work as trade to get your fingers back
Puzzle toys are good, and Kongs to hide kibble and treats are helpful.
Not exactly a toy, but something to consider is the Smart Pet Love Snuggle Puppy toy. This can help soothe a pup.
https://www.amazon.com/SmartPetLove-.../dp/B000C9YHFS

Grooming
I hope others will have brand specific suggestions for combs, brushes, shampoos…
Generally, a puppy shampoo with or w/o conditioner added
Greyhound comb
Pin brush with rounded tips
Soft tipped Slicker brush
Dryer
Grooming table or designated area
Nail trimmer or Dremel tool
It is important to get them used to the grooming process asap.
The longer you wait, the harder it is on the pup and whoever's doing the grooming.
It does not hurt their coat to get a puppy trimmed

Health, Vet, Vaccinations Vs Socialization, Insurance, Care Credit, Emergency funds
Ask if any other dog on the premises has been ill in the last week or so.
Choose a vet if you don't have one and know where the ER clinic is.
Have the pup checked out by a vet within a day or two of homecoming whether the breeder requires it or not.
Puppies can socialize with vaccinated adult dogs, and probably known puppies who aren't fully vaccinated yet.
Best to stay away from paws on the ground at places a lot of dogs might be til yours is fully vaccinated.
People are not usually any risk or at risk.
Consider pet insurance, at least for the first year or two, or sign up for Care Credit if there is a health emergency.
If you can, a healthy four figure separate savings account dedicated to emergencies can be a life saver, literally.
Keep a first aid kit and learn some first aid procedures.
Check your fencing if there is any. You want to keep things out as well as puppy in.
Check your plant life for possible toxic plants.
Inside keep cords and cables covered or out of reach.
Anything puppy level is at risk.

Besides pet stores, there is Amazon, Chewy.com, and eBay and Etsy for supplies. Other brick and mortar stores if they're nearby are Tuesday Morning, Marshall's, HomeGoods, Sierra Trading Post and TJ Maxx. The last two are also online.
(Apologies for the US centric shopping references, but they're what I know.)

·
Registered
487 Posts
Dollar tree has cheap collars, leashes, and plush toys too. Great for dogs will will grow out of things/destroy things. Cheap to replace.

Reactions: 94Magna_Tom

·
Registered
507 Posts
Finally! You're ready for a new adventure with a great companion. Your new baby will LOVE that you're home 24/7 and love to receive all your time and attention.

I was going to post Liz's puppy primer thread too. If you search in the thread "New puppy soon" or "puppy soon" or "picking up puppy soon" you'll come across some threads that go very in-depth with practical examples.

The puppy proofing of your house and A-B-C steps leading up to bringing home your curly hair fur baby are all the same for the most part. You just have to take the time to educate yourself. It can be overwhelming, but it sounds like your up for the task :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi and Welcome to you and Spoo!

I'm going to add a list and some links helpful for new owners :)

This is an article about the puppy's point of view during the massive life change for them (and you!)

Kidnapped From Planet Dog - Whole Dog Journal
Sometimes new owners tell me getting a puppy was supposed to be fun, but all I feel is stress. Here's what new owners need to remember.
www.whole-dog-journal.com

and a general supply list with tips and hints, compiled from members suggestions over the years:

New Pup/Dog startup

Harnesses, Collars, Leashes
Food, Water, Bowls
Enzyme Cleaner, Pee pads, Poo bags, Paper Towels
Toys
Grooming

This is really more your basic startup info. It's taken from other threads and posts that many active members of PF has contributed to. I hope more Pfer's will add to this, comment or correct any mistakes.

Crates
Hard side plastic or wire is best for early days.
If you choose wire, be sure there are no sharp bits, and be very sure that the door will stay fully latched with a bumptious puppy in it. It's not common but there have been some concerning reviews mentioning injuries.
No collars in the crate for safety.
Look for one in the size you expect them to grow into with a divider and use the divider to keep them comfortably cozy (stand up, turn around, sleep) til then.
Use a blanket as a crate cover.
Use a washable bath rug/towels or sherpa crate mat for bedding.
Put something leak proof on the floor of the crate or under it.
Depending on the layout of the house/apt, consider 2 crates, one for the sleeping space, one for the living space.

If you can manage it, have the pup sleep in your bedroom. They just think they're on an adventure until bedtime, especially the first night, rolls around. Suddenly they realize that NOTHING is familiar, no scent, warmth or comfort of mom or siblings. They are Alone.

Ask the breeder to do this or bring a towel or blanket to get mom and siblings scent on it, to comfort them.
Keeping them in the same room allows you to hear if they are unwell or need to go out. Expect to have the young ones out several times during the night for a while.
Set a periodic alarm to beat them to it.
Don't count on a lot of sleep the first days or weeks.
Taking a few days off from work or work from home, if you can, will really help set routines and gives some time to get to know each other.
Find out if the breeder had them on a daily routine and try to follow that for a few days.
They're facing so many instant and incomprehensible changes. Keep what you can the same for a while.

Ex Pen
This expands their relaxation space but keeps them contained and out of mischief.
Food and water bowls as well as pee pads can be in that space.
Use a leak proof flooring here also.
These can be plastic or wire or even pop up soft side. (Same caution on wire construction.)

Beds and bedding
This may depend on the pups age and what they're used to. A young pup probably doesn't need one just yet. An older pup or dog may already be using one.

Carrier
These are generally only good up to about 15lbs but have their place.
A smaller crate with handles can double as a carrier.

Travel
Keeping your pup comfortable and safe in the car is important.
Depending on size and age, you might use a carrier, a crate, or a harness with seat belts.
Sleepypod brand is a highest safety rated product. Testing was done by the independent Center for Pet Safety, with some testing sponsored by Subaru.
There are a number of threads covering other brand suggestions. You can use the Search function to find them.

Harnesses, Collars and Leashes
Harnesses are usually a better safety choice for smaller pups due to potential trachea injury from collars, but it may not be the best choice for a pup who wants to pull.
Collars will carry tags and ID but don't have to be worn inside the home due to potential choking hazards.

Food, Water, Bowls
It's best to keep them on the same food as the breeder had for a while. They're already under stress from the abrupt change in their lives and this is one thing that doesn't usually need to change immediately.
They may go off their feed as it is, so keep an eye on that.
Toys are especially subject to hypoglycemia. This can very quickly become fatal. Look for the sticky on it.
If/when you want to change foods, come back to PF for suggestions.
Stainless steel or ceramic is best for their food and water bowls.
You might even consider filling a bottle with the water they've been drinking at the breeders and mix it with the water at their new home, to acclimate.

Enzyme Cleaner, Pee pads, Poo bags, Paper Towels, Bitter Apple Spray
Pretty much all self explanatory.
Natures Miracle is usually recommended for enzyme cleaner.
Bitter Apple Spray is to keep them from mouthing and biting on what you don't want them to.

Toys
Have a selection of several different types on hand.
Check with your vet for safe chewing toys. They also work as trade to get your fingers back
Puzzle toys are good, and Kongs to hide kibble and treats are helpful.
Not exactly a toy, but something to consider is the Smart Pet Love Snuggle Puppy toy. This can help soothe a pup.
https://www.amazon.com/SmartPetLove-.../dp/B000C9YHFS

Grooming
I hope others will have brand specific suggestions for combs, brushes, shampoos…
Generally, a puppy shampoo with or w/o conditioner added
Greyhound comb
Pin brush with rounded tips
Soft tipped Slicker brush
Dryer
Grooming table or designated area
Nail trimmer or Dremel tool
It is important to get them used to the grooming process asap.
The longer you wait, the harder it is on the pup and whoever's doing the grooming.
It does not hurt their coat to get a puppy trimmed

Ask if any other dog on the premises has been ill in the last week or so.
Choose a vet if you don't have one and know where the ER clinic is.
Have the pup checked out by a vet within a day or two of homecoming whether the breeder requires it or not.
Puppies can socialize with vaccinated adult dogs, and probably known puppies who aren't fully vaccinated yet.
Best to stay away from paws on the ground at places a lot of dogs might be til yours is fully vaccinated.
People are not usually any risk or at risk.
Consider pet insurance, at least for the first year or two, or sign up for Care Credit if there is a health emergency.
If you can, a healthy four figure separate savings account dedicated to emergencies can be a life saver, literally.
Keep a first aid kit and learn some first aid procedures.
Check your fencing if there is any. You want to keep things out as well as puppy in.
Check your plant life for possible toxic plants.
Inside keep cords and cables covered or out of reach.
Anything puppy level is at risk.

Besides pet stores, there is Amazon, Chewy.com, and eBay and Etsy for supplies. Other brick and mortar stores if they're nearby are Tuesday Morning, Marshall's, HomeGoods, Sierra Trading Post and TJ Maxx. The last two are also online.
(Apologies for the US centric shopping references, but they're what I know.)
Wow! Such a tremendous amount of good info here! Thank you so much Rose! I read the 'kidnapped from another planet' article, and already feel like I've learned a ton. Thank you so much!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally! You're ready for a new adventure with a great companion. Your new baby will LOVE that you're home 24/7 and love to receive all your time and attention.

I was going to post Liz's puppy primer thread too. If you search in the thread "New puppy soon" or "puppy soon" or "picking up puppy soon" you'll come across some threads that go very in-depth with practical examples.

The puppy proofing of your house and A-B-C steps leading up to bringing home your curly hair fur baby are all the same for the most part. You just have to take the time to educate yourself. It can be overwhelming, but it sounds like your up for the task :)
I've been studying, on and off, for a month now. Lots to learn. Seems pretty straight forward watching videos and reading up. Once my new buddy is finally here, I'm sure I'll be pulling my hair out! Can't wait!

·
Premium Member
4,446 Posts
Hi Tom and welcome. You must be so excited - it is hard to wait, but you are doing well with getting prepared. Lots of info here on the forum, noodle around or use the Search function. Already great advice here. I want to reinforce getting puppy used to grooming. I was not diligent with this and now my Asta thinks grooming is evil.

·
Super Moderator
7,845 Posts
I am so excited for you! What a cool new chapter in your life.

I read this book with every puppy and cannot recommend it enough:

Also available online for free (but I love my dog-eared hardcover):

I feel it’s extra applicable to raising a brilliant, sensitive, sometimes quite challenging poodle puppy. Really teaches you how to speak their language.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Tom and welcome. You must be so excited - it is hard to wait, but you are doing well with getting prepared. Lots of info here on the forum, noodle around or use the Search function. Already great advice here. I want to reinforce getting puppy used to grooming. I was not diligent with this and now my Asta thinks grooming is evil.
Thank you. I'll be sure to do practice grooming!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am so excited for you! What a cool new chapter in your life.

I read this book with every puppy and cannot recommend it enough:

Also available online for free (but I love my dog-eared hardcover):

I feel it’s extra applicable to raising a brilliant, sensitive, sometimes quite challenging poodle puppy. Really teaches you how to speak their language.
Thanks! I like hardcopies too. I just ordered it.

·
Super Moderator
2,227 Posts
Welcome. More for the shopping list: get yourself some easily donned clothing you don't mind the puppy destroying. There's nothing quite like stepping barefoot into an early spring snowstorm with a puppy that needs to go out at 4 AM. Something like a pair of Crocs and a cheap pair of fleece sweatpants will make mornings easier.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Welcome. More for the shopping list: get yourself some easily donned clothing you don't mind the puppy destroying. There's nothing quite like stepping barefoot into an early spring snowstorm with a puppy that needs to go out at 4 AM. Something like a pair of Crocs and a cheap pair of fleece sweatpants will make mornings easier.
Good advice. Got that covered!

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, this is pretty much exactly what I was planning on getting for a crate/pen set up for starters. I've basically got 2 months to get my house puppy ready, and get all the critical items procured. I'll be sure to get a host of tug toys, chew toys, and some soft stuffed toys, and several different puzzle feeder toys. This will be my 1st dog ever (except when I was a very young kid, we had a dog growing up) so I'm sure there will be lots of learning to be had!
I suggest you find out if there is a poodle club or an all-breed dog club in your area. People who belong to clubs are usually happy to help a new owner. You can just google "dog clubs near [name of city]". Of course this forum has members who are pleased to help you. Keep us informed and post pictures of your new puppy.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Basil was born April 25th, so you'll be getting your furbaby around the same time I got Basil late June early July (I think). Warm weather be a consideration on your radar. So, avoiding prolonged exercise during the heat of the day... Doing the "cement test" - if it's too hot for your foot or back of hand, then it's too hot for the puppy... Finding shade all the time... Taking it slow.... Having water with you.

The good news is puppy's aren't fast, but, like small children don't regulate their heat well. So, you have to look out for that. All this will make sense once you have puppy in hand. You will have to be the fun police and call T-for-time-out when your furparent senses tingle.

·
Registered
Winnie 10/24/20 standard poodle
72 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Many of us remember the anticipation of waiting and all of the questions that come with it. We are raising our second spoo and much of this experience is so different than the first. I'm not sure I could have gotten a more unlike dog if I tried. We love her no less and know at the end of every struggle is the joy of our "perfect for us" poodle girl and we take one day at a time. This being said to let you know that no matter how hard your breeder tries you may experience bumps in the road here and there. EXTREMELY smart dogs are a joy and a challenge and every day is new. Have your home ready and keep us on speed dial! This group is huge wealth of real life experience and everyone is happy to help! 😊🐾

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Basil was born April 25th, so you'll be getting your furbaby around the same time I got Basil late June early July (I think). Warm weather be a consideration on your radar. So, avoiding prolonged exercise during the heat of the day... Doing the "cement test" - if it's too hot for your foot or back of hand, then it's too hot for the puppy... Finding shade all the time... Taking it slow.... Having water with you.

The good news is puppy's aren't fast, but, like small children don't regulate their heat well. So, you have to look out for that. All this will make sense once you have puppy in hand. You will have to be the fun police and call T-for-time-out when your furparent senses tingle.
Thanks for the heat advice! I'll be sure to consider it when it's warmer out. You must have misinterpreted my post though. The pups are due 02/22 (yesterday) for both mom's. Between the two litters, she is expecting 12 puppies. 9 were born Saturday, and the other Mom hasn't whelped yet. I'm expecting to take one home around April 20th-27th. Like I've already said, I'm very excited!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts