Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I swear I was not this anxious waiting for the birth of my human children. The litter that I should be getting a puppy from (first choice of females) is due "around the end of the month". I got put on the list about two weeks or so after she was bred so I have been counting down the days and "nesting", getting the crate, playpen, collars in various sizes, other things I won't need for months, lol. I know that any of you who are breeders are probably shaking your heads and laughing but not being where the momma is, not visiting her (like I frequently visited the mares who had the foals I purchased in utero) is DRIVING ME NUTS. "what if something goes wrong?" "What if there are no females or no suitable females?", I'm specifically getting a puppy to be trained for mobility service work. You may be figuring out that this is the first time I have purchased a puppy before it was born. Horses, you have 11 months and you get to hug that huge belly and feel the foal moving around, kind of like feeling your own baby kick when you are pregnant. This is so different. I feel so removed from the process and I hate it. Any words (I'm open to mantra's at this point) to help me chill until I hear from the breeder?

·
Super Moderator
9,699 Posts
Aw! My advice? Enjoy it. Enjoy the anticipation, maddening as it may be. :) And if there's anything non-puppy-related you've been putting off, do it now. Because soon allllllll your free time and energy is going to be poured into that sweet puppy!

·
Super Moderator
2,976 Posts
For sure, enjoy the quiet time before the puppy turns your life upside down.
Is there a reason you wouldn't go with a male dog if there isn't a suitable female? I wanted a parti-pup when I got my boy Galen. Instead I ended up with a blue, because he checked off most of my other criteria.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I said the same thing about being more anxious for the puppy than I was for the kids! I handled it by buying too much poodle stuff. Maybe don’t do that. Or maybe do!

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Oh, my heart would be racing. I don't have any mantras, just ideas to distract. There's going to be one female, for sure. Do you have a name picked? Have you made a pintrest pin of poodle stuff?

-Poodle haircuts you like
-Poodle clothing that you thinks is cute to buy or make later down the road
-Animals that look like poodles

I scrolled through pintest till my thumbs hurt or battery ran out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For sure, enjoy the quiet time before the puppy turns your life upside down.
Is there a reason you wouldn't go with a male dog if there isn't a suitable female? I wanted a parti-pup when I got my boy Galen. Instead I ended up with a blue, because he checked off most of my other criteria.
I would be way down the list for males in the litter and more importantly to me, I have a wonderful (neutered) 15 year old beagle. I do not think there is any chance he would be accepting of a male dog coming into the house at this point in his life. I think he would feel threatened. I already have a contingency of how I am dividing the house in half if he wants nothing to do with the female puppy but I'm hoping he will be more receptive to her.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I can empathize with you! I was on the list for a Havanese - not enough puppies. Then another list for another Havanese - again, not enough puppies. I was so disappointed. One of the breeders also breeds miniature poodles, and had a litter with an unclaimed male puppy. I went to meet her and her dogs and was amazed by her poodles. Gorgeous. Graceful. Smart. Her Havanese were wonderful also, but I really fell for her poodles. Instead of going on the list for her next litter of Havanese, we got Topper!
It IS hard to wait - so many unknowns, so many expectations. For us, it was worth it.

·
Premium Member
10,062 Posts
Stay busy! Build a first aid kit, refresh your training game. (Excellent threads from Click ‘n Treat and Lily CD), as well as several comprehensive training resource lists on PF.) Find a groomer, or research grooming equipment. Ask the breeder to send the puppy information material early, so you have the same kibble when your puppy comes home. Set up your well puppy visit with your vet, consider pro’s and cons of pet insurance. Read some of Lauriern Berenson poodle mysteries for fun. Lots to do!

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
I would binge watch Stonnie Dennis on youtube. I find his methods of training to work very well with poodles! And they're just lovely entertaining videos. He has some old videos that go week by week on puppy training. And he talks about how to approach training with different breeds and personalities. Great advice.

For my puppy I felt like I didn't really feel the excitement until their faces were shaved. Then I really found myself struggling not to get attached to individual puppies and I couldn't wait to find out which was mine. You can really start to see those personalities with shaved faces. And after I knew which was mine, then I was really really excited.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Wow, PF is full of good advice. I love Basil’s idea of a Pinterest poodle board. That is the right level of crazy for when you are spinning in anticipation.
As far as a mantra goes, my favorite was always “calm, blue ocean” then one Christmas when the kids were very high energy I found myself squeezing my eyes shut and muttering “bubble light, bubble light.” Very effective, if you’re a fan of vintage Christmas light decor!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh, my heart would be racing. I don't have any mantras, just ideas to distract. There's going to be one female, for sure. Do you have a name picked? Have you made a pintrest pin of poodle stuff?

-Poodle haircuts you like
-Poodle clothing that you thinks is cute to buy or make later down the road
-Animals that look like poodles

I scrolled through pintest till my thumbs hurt or battery ran out.
I have the name picked. Persephone. (for registered name, we will call her Percy). When I close my eyes I can picture her little fuzzy face. I may have to Pinterest binge.

·
Registered
8 Posts
As a breeder myself, I stay in close contact with the puppy families on my list. I send videos and/or pictures once a week once the puppies are born and little notes on observances - which was the first one to open eyes, first to get up on all fours, walk, bark, etc. I also encourage the families to purchase and watch the Puppy Culture DVDs so they have an idea of what I am doing on a daily basis with the puppies and what they can continue to do once the puppy is home with them to further develop their intelligence and aptitudes. What is Puppy Culture? Click HERE

Ask your breeder if they will share pictures at very least, with you...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As a breeder myself, I stay in close contact with the puppy families on my list. I send videos and/or pictures once a week once the puppies are born and little notes on observances - which was the first one to open eyes, first to get up on all fours, walk, bark, etc. I also encourage the families to purchase and watch the Puppy Culture DVDs so they have an idea of what I am doing on a daily basis with the puppies and what they can continue to do once the puppy is home with them to further develop their intelligence and aptitudes. What is Puppy Culture? Click HERE

The breeder said she will email pictures as soon as the puppies are born. She knows that I'm looking for a service dog candidate and has had some of her pups go on to be successful service dogs so I will be counting on her observations of their progress until I get to meet them at 6 weeks of age and choose my puppy from the females. Then at 9 weeks, I will get to take her home. I'm just so excited.

·
Super Moderator
2,976 Posts

Pogo's breeder used to post videos on YouTube. I loved watching all the first moments: first solid food, first time outside, first time meeting another adult dog.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Oh I know how you feel. Im waiting to hear if the dam has gone into heat and successfully mated. Ive been on a waiting list since April and this breeder only has one or two litters a year. I dont know what I will do if the pregnancy isnt successful. Anything can happen, the stud is proven but this is the dams first litter.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh I know how you feel. Im waiting to hear if the dam has gone into heat and successfully mated. Ive been on a waiting list since April and this breeder only has one or two litters a year. I dont know what I will do if the pregnancy isnt successful. Anything can happen, the stud is proven but this is the dams first litter.
Let's hope we both get good news soon.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
SHE WAS BORN ON 11/28 !!! Sorry, didn't mean to yell, lol. I just spoke to the breeder. 2 females, 5 males, all doing well and about the same size and activity level at this very early stage. I don't get cell service where I live in the Adirondacks so I didn't get the "group text"! Just spoke to the breeder because (she has the patience of a saint) I wanted to check in being that "the end of the month" had come and gone and I hadn't heard anything. Mama poodle Mone (pronounced like the artist, Monet) had an uncomplicated whelping. This is her 3rd litter and all went smoothly. Puppies are going to the vet for checkups tomorrow. Thank you to everyone who virtually paced around with me while I waited. Now I can't wait to meet her, but at least I know she has been born and is healthy.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts