Poodle Forum banner
41 - 60 of 82 Posts
Shown, not showed. Wish we could modify posts for typos! I should proofread I guess.
You can, actually. Click on the three dots at the top right hand of the post and it gives you the option to edit (for your own posts of course). At least that is how it appears on mobile.
Lol I do it all the time

Discussion starter · #44 ·
Thanks, all. I'm currently looking for breeders and would be very grateful if anyone knows of a breeder in the northeast - or even down to, say, Washington, DC - who may have availability. I know I'll likely need to wait light years, though. I may continue to work with the current breeder, but a drive of 20 hours when a tiny pup is involved is looking less and less attractive, especially in the middle of a pandemic.

You can, actually. Click on the three dots at the top right hand of the post and it gives you the option to edit (for your own posts of course). At least that is how it appears on mobile.
Lol I do it all the time
Many thanks for the tip! I can now fix my embarrassing mistakes.

Oh dear as with other recent discussions I missed this until it just came back to the top. I am sad for all of you on seeing that you will not be bringing a pup home this week, but think this was probably a wise decision. Since you are looking for standards and I know where you live I will suggest Javelin's breeders Delana and Mark Severs in Connecticut near New Haven (Madela poodles). FB is probably the best way to reach out to her, but you can also email. Her website is not always super up to date but she has her email and FB link there.

Another person to contact would be Linda Hamilton of Scheherazade poodles in New Jersey. She produces very nice easy keeper whites. I know a couple of people who show dogs Linda bred in obedience.

I wish you success in finding a lovely healthy baby dog asap.

Reactions: Liz and Elizabeth
Discussion starter · #46 ·
Thank you very much for those recommendations. I am going back through emails I sent to breeders in the past, emailing new breeders, etc., and these names look familiar. Of course, I have so many email addresses and phone numbers at this point that everything looks familiar, lol. If I haven't contacted these breeders in the past, or if they indicated that they were planning litters when I did, I'll definitely give them a shout. I really appreciate the leads!

I'm sad for your family that this happened so soon before pick up day and I hope the pup recovers and will have a healthy life.

Just in case you haven't seen the Breeders List I'll put the link in. Catherine's recommendations are in it and possibly some you may not have seen:

Start here, be sure to review the Resource links, especially for Health and don't skip the Poodle Clubs to look for breeder referrals and don't skip the multi state listings:

Also, for reference, I'm adding my personal criteria for choosing a breeder.

My Personal Breeder Requirements
My criteria need not be yours but I think it's important for a potential poodle owner to understand why these criteria are important in choosing a conscientious breeder and to get a wellbred puppy to share life with for many years to come.

My ideal breeder is someone who is doing this because they love the breed.
They want to see each new generation born at least as good as the previous, ideally better.
They provide for every dog in their care as if that dog is their own.
They will be there for the new family, and stand behind that pup for it's lifetime, rain or shine, with or without a contract.
They will know the standards and pedigrees of their chosen breed, health and genetic diversity of their lines, and breed to better them.
They will know of the latest studies in health standards for their chosen breed and variety.
They will have as many questions for me as I do for them.
They invest in their dogs. They don't expect the dogs to support them.

Breeding Program
! to maintain, improve, strengthen the breed
by breeding to standard, for health and genetic diversity,
and will prove their dogs meet these standards by showing or competing
or by breeding from titled parents. It's not the title, but what it shows
! focus is on quality, never quantity
! they do not cross breed
! they limit breeding to one to two breeds
! they limit breeding to only a few litters per year *

Breeding Parents
! registry information available
AKC Registry Lookup
! not too old or young for breeding
! not overbred
see Asking questions from a breeder
and Frequency of Breeding a Bitch
! genetic health testing done appropriate to breed and variety
! other health testing by exam such as annual eye, hips, patellas
! results of testing on own website, OFA site or testing lab
see Health Related Publications - Versatility In Poodles, Inc.
and OFA Lookup https://www.ofa.org/look-up-a-dog

Living Conditions
! in home with family
! breeder allows, even encourages home visits

Puppies
! routine and urgent vet care, immunizations, dewormings
! socialization
! first groomings
! registry papers
! they will not require spay/neuter before physical maturity
! health "guarantee" generally favors the breeder, not the buyer.
health guarantee is no replacement for health testing of dam and sire.
beginning housetraining is a bonus
temperament testing is helpful

Advertising
! individual website to detail history of breeder, goals for their program
! information on dams, sires, puppies
! no trend pricing for color, gender or size,
! no marketing gimmick terms like "teacup" "royal"

! Anything not found on the website should be provided by breeder before buying.

* Many people prefer small scale breeders because they feel the puppies will have better socialization and it's very unlikely to be a puppy mill-like operation.
This doesn't mean that larger scale breeders can't do things right. The breeder of record may not be hands on with every pup or poodle on the place but they should make sure that all the quality of life and attention are paid to all their dogs.

If a breeder wants me to believe that they believe in their dogs, they won't stop the investment when it comes time to find the new families. If they want to cut costs by using free advertising sites like craigslist or listing on retail marketplaces like puppyspot or puppyfind, or other classified ad sites such as newspapers, I wonder what else they've cut costs on.

Contact a few breeders to introduce yourself. Even if they don't have or don't offer what you're looking for, it can be a close knit community. They may know where to refer you.

Discussion starter · #51 ·
Most breeders seem not to be responding to inquiries, now. One who did answer but has no puppies or plans for pups at the moment told me she is absolutely overwhelmed with emails from people wanting dogs.

I was a bit taken aback because a breeder I contacted yesterday responded by immediately asking for a deposit on an upcoming litter without expressing any desire to even speak to me before entrusting me with one of her pups. She is currently breeding and provided backgrounds/OFA results for the dogs. (Of course, no CHIC numbers. It seems very, very few breeders do sufficient testing for that.)

This breeder also wants 9 deposits for a litter of standards without any idea how many puppies there will be so she can close out her waiting list.

This is a red flag, isn't it?

That doesn't sound great to me unless the deposit can be refunded or readily applied to the next litter. I also don't love that she doesn't want to know anything about you. I will say though that nine puppies in a litter of standards is quite possible. Lily is from a litter of 8 and Javelin from a litter of 9. I only had a $100 deposit on Javelin and I know Delana was willing to refund deposits if needed. The person who had been first on the list for a boy in Javelin's litter took herself off the list when her older dog was diagnosed with cancer and she decided she wanted to devote herself to that dogs final months rather than dealing with the cancer and a puppy.

Reactions: Elizabeth
Discussion starter · #53 ·
Thanks Catherine. I think she does refund deposits. I emailed to ask whether she allows visits. I’ll see what she says about that. I just am not sure of this breeder. She regularly buys dogs from other countries and I’m not sure I’ll be able to confirm the accomplishments she claims they have.

Actually bringing in a dog from overseas can be a plus if it is done thoughtfully in a way that promotes out crossing and improvement of genetic diversity.

Actually not, but I just looked at her website. She has lovely dogs nd it says something to my thinking that Joey Vergnetti handles for her. He is a well known NE handler. If she cn provide you with copies of the health test results to your satisfaction I would consider her favorably.

Discussion starter · #58 · (Edited)
Thanks for sharing your expertise on this. Sire has fair hips, dam has good, but has a half-sibling with moderate hip dysplasia. I just don’t know, but I guess I need to make a decision one way or another. :)

She did say that the dam can be visited during pregnancy by appointment. That is a good sign. I did not ask whether her dogs are kenneled or whether they reside in the home. Kennel would be a deal-breaker for me. If they live with her or other families, perhaps I should move forward. I do think the dogs are very attractive, but I am far from an expert, so may opinion on these matters is not worth much.

I would take a window shopping visit. BTW most dams are pretty protective of the pups until they are just about 5 weeks old so visiting in that time frame is highly unlikely.

For both Lily and Javelin I had been emailing and/or having phone calls before the whelp, then got pictures of tiny babies and visited both litters just around 5-6 weeks old.

I was a bit taken aback because a breeder I contacted yesterday responded by immediately asking for a deposit on an upcoming litter without expressing any desire to even speak to me before entrusting me with one of her pups. She is currently breeding and provided backgrounds/OFA results for the dogs. (Of course, no CHIC numbers. It seems very, very few breeders do sufficient testing for that.)

This is a red flag, isn't it?
To me it is a red flag that the breeder did not intensely interview you. The best breeders I know are very picky about the buyer/future owners of their dogs and want to know they are going to a really good forever home.

Actually, if you really trust the Florida breeder, I would stick with her, or go with a breeder she highly recommends.

41 - 60 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.