Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying not to be a nightmare client, but of course I want to know as much as possible while waiting to pick up my puppy. Is it rude to ask for pictures? The last were sent out over 2 weeks ago. I know I’ll see the actual dog in the flesh next week. The breeder is now dealing with 10 7-week old pups as well as her personal dogs, so she has her hands full. Would I be imposing? I really have no experience with breeder interactions, so I don’t know what’s pushy and what’s normal. I’d appreciate insight from this experienced group!

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
If it's been two weeks I don't think it's rude to ask as long as you are very polite. Something like "Greetings! I'm sure you are very busy with ten puppies to care for! I am so excited and can hardly wait to bring mine home. If you have any new photos and the time to send them, I'd love to see how they're doing! Wishing you and the mom/pups the best!"

·
Registered
835 Posts
Breeders have distinct personalities, just like the puppies. What kind of vibe did you get?

I'd send a message with a simple request along the lines of - 'If you have a moment, would you please send us a shot of the pup. We're so excited.'

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The vibe I get with the breeder is that she’s not crazy about communication, possibly because she has a lot going on. I forgot, she grooms, too. I bothered her last week about getting a signed contract, and she previously tried (without success) to help me coordinate a pickup so I wouldn’t need to drive 20 hours. It’s becoming evident that I need to back way up. I’ll deal with my nerves myself, like an adult, and I’ll leave the poor woman alone. 🙂

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That image is awesome. :)

I have crates, toys, a pen, a Sherpa bag...Oh my goodness I can’t even think of it all. And Amazon boxes of more stuff on the steps!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I wish I hadn’t heard from the breeder. The pup fell over with something resembling a seizure. He screamed. I said I would take the pup if the issue can be reasonably managed. I am nervous about this, but I had my heart set on this pup, and my husband really want to move forward. Vet appointment is tomorrow. :(

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Me, too. I can at least be grateful that the breeder is honest. She called me right after it happened.

The breeder is shaken and heartbroken. This has never happened with any of her puppies. Poor pup and poor breeder.

My husband’s family dog as a child had seizures successfully managed with phenobarbital, so he is inclined to go forward if it is “just” epilepsy. Funny - he didn’t want a dog, consented begrudgingly, but now that he knows the poor dog may be unwell, he has made a 180 degree turn on the issue. Husbands!

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Me, too. I can at least be grateful that the breeder is honest. She called me right after it happened.

The breeder is shaken and heartbroken. This has never happened with any of her puppies. Poor pup and poor breeder.

My husband’s family dog as a child had seizures successfully managed with phenobarbital, so he is inclined to go forward if it is “just” epilepsy. Funny - he didn’t want a dog, consented begrudgingly, but now that he knows the poor dog may be unwell, he has made a 180 degree turn on the issue. Husbands!
I'm so sorry! CBD oil can be really good for seizure control. Hopefully it isn't bad. Our family dog had occasional seizures but not frequent.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, Peggy and Raindrops! If It’s epilepsy and CBD helps we’ll use it along whatever else the vet recommends. We’re just praying it’s not some horrible malady.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pup is still wobbly so breeder is inclined to think this may an injury. Xrays will be needed and will happen tomorrow. Fingers crossed that this can be fixed/managed.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Sounds to me more of an injury than a seizure. From my understanding, seizures don’t hurt unless puppy hit something during it, which is one of the reasons why they are dangerous. They do take up a LOT of energy, which would explain wobbling. And from what I’ve read, they typically only show up in canines at around six months, so it is rather early for one. I suppose it could have been a partial seizure and the puppy cried because it was scared, but then, I’m not too familiar with the subject. Best of wishes for good results.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I absolutely will. Originally the vet was going to stop by today, which surprised me but I guess must be a thing. Now that the breeder knows x-rays are needed, she has to go in to the clinic and that appointment is tomorrow. When I hear the results I will update.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts