Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My poor spoo Belle has really been struggling lately. For the last week she has been yipping as she lays on her bed. Not like she’s hurting, more like she’s afraid or anxious. Then today she is very unsettled. She has begun following me everywhere, which at 9 years old she just doesn’t do. She is also panting a lot as if she just returned from a run in the park. She’s eating and doing her business normally and isn’t dehydrated. Very uncharacteristic for her. This has been going on for the last few hours this morning. I’m not sure what is going on. She will not leave my side. I wish I could help her. Any advice?

·
Super Moderator
9,673 Posts
Yes, this sounds like pain to me. Probably quite a lot of pain. Poor Belle. :(

Assuming she doesn't respond to gentle pressure applied all over her body, I'd start with a detailed dental exam and spinal x-rays (which could also show an enlarged heart). That's just based on my experience with Gracie when she acted similarly.

Let us know how it goes. Hoping it's an easy diagnosis.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I’ve made an appointment for her to be checked so hopefully that will show some cause.
For the moment she has calmed down a bit. Not panting and resting on her bed. I palpated her all over but she didn’t react as if anything was bothering her. She has in the past shown some signs of epilepsy. Episodes that pass quickly and are easily missed. Don’t think that’s it. I will watch her close. Perhaps it is due to the wildfires we have going on in Northern California now. It’s become increasingly smoky and we’ve begun getting ashes falling. My daily routine has also changed as I’m working part time so maybe all this has put her on edge. I will update once she sees her vet. In the meanwhile, is there anything I could give her for anxiety?
Thanks everyone for your concern

·
Registered
7,711 Posts
I have a very anxious dog (diagnosed with GAD) and he doesn’t make any sounds from it. I think your dog is showing signs of anxiety due to pain. And crying in pain. Giving her anxiety medication will not help the underlying problem. I’m not sure I would give anxiety meds to a dog in pain, in fear it would mask important symptoms.

I hope your appointment goes well.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a very anxious dog (diagnosed with GAD) and he doesn’t make any sounds from it. I think your dog is showing signs of anxiety due to pain. And crying in pain. Giving her anxiety medication will not help the underlying problem. I’m not sure I would give anxiety meds to a dog in pain, in fear it would mask important symptoms.

I hope your appointment goes well.
Thanks

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have also noticed her laying on her bed with her eyes open. She’s not sleeping normally. She usually sleeps soundly and falls off quickly. Sleeps to much it seems. But she is 9 years old. She is so much more delicate than my other spoo.

·
Premium Member
4,414 Posts
I hope your vet can find what's bothering her and be able to treat it easily.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello everyone,
Took my sweet girl Belle to the vet yesterday afternoon. He gave her a thorough exam and said in no uncertain terms that she was not in pain. Also that if she were her heart rate would be elevated, which it was not. That was good news for sure. Beyond that he said her anal glands were full and were probably the cause of her apparent discomfort. He showed me how to express them myself which was helpful. He also prescribed prednisone for the next few days as he thought she was scratching and licking do to an allergy of some kind. I don’t like giving prednisone. It will give her relief but I wonder how much it helps long term? Seems more that it will mask underlying issues? But I’m not sure. All in all, he said she seems very healthy. I do hate to be a skeptic but I remain concerned. I will watch her closely for the next few days. She was still yipping some last night but it did seem somewhat less. I must admit I just don’t have much confidence in this vet. After having moved to Northern California 5 years ago I still don’t have a vet I really trust. So it goes, I’ll stop complaining and just watch her close. What do you folks think?
Thanks for caring!

·
Registered
7,711 Posts
The might be something still going on but at least major concerns have been ruled out it seems. Try to make a video of her so you can show your vet next time.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think you're smart to keep an eye on her and see how she responds. Are you near the fires?
I think you're smart to keep an eye on her and see how she responds. Are you near the fires?
We are experiencing smoky ongoing conditions. Not so bad though. Haven’t seen much ash raining down. Not like a couple years ago when we had to evacuate. The firefighters absolutely saved our little town. We have been lucky so far. The weather forecast has called for possibly more lightning. Keep a good thought. My best to the group

·
Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
3,010 Posts
Is it possible that she senses something from the fires? I know Mia is a wonderful barometer (literally and figuratively) for tornadoes.

·
Super Moderator
9,673 Posts
Did he do bloodwork or x-rays? You know your poodle best, and if she's not acting like herself, it's worth pushing your vet on this or seeking a second opinion.

Prescribing such a potent drug for possible allergies doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but I suppose that's why it helps if you have a vet you trust. Sometimes you just have to put your faith in them.

When our vet (who was fairly new to us at the time) said Gracie's panting, shaking, wobbly gait, and spontaneous yips could be her teeth, it took a lot of faith to let her be put under. It seemed like the craziest diagnosis to me based on her symptoms.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is it possible that she senses something from the fires? I know Mia is a wonderful barometer (literally and figuratively) for tornadoes.
I’m sure it’s possible. I did mention that to the vet and didn’t get much of a response.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Prescribing such a potent drug for possible allergies doesn't make a lot of sense to me
Me neither. Isn’t that a steroid? I know they have steroids in some human allergy medicine (have to use a nasal one myself in allergy season) but that seems a bit strong for just mild allergies to me. A quick Google search tells me it’s used for asthma, but still. I’d seek a second opinion.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts