Poodle Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I've dealt with noise-induced anxiety in my non-poodle dog. The advice you've been given is the same as what I learned at the time. The purpose of the meds is for dogs who can't relax enough to respond to training. I didn't notice when my dog's phobias began, and concur with addressing this issue as quickly as you can. I wonder if my dog would have improved if I had noticed the fears sooner and addressed them through a behaviorist.

My dog is on Alprazolam (Xanax), which hasn't affected her personality. It's allowed her to relax enough to improve her appetite. She sleeps well, but she's 12.5 years old, which may be a factor. It's not a perfect solution, the month or so of fireworks this year were still challenging, but I also am better at managing her fear. This includes not freaking out when a "situation" develops, as she can respond to my anxiety about her reaction to noise.

When I brought my poodle home, I was told that he could be influenced by my other dog's fears. That's another reason for addressing this problem soon, in case another dog is brought into the home at some point and could learn how to be afraid. Good luck with your treatment.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts