Poodle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
12,853 Posts
Poor Tuck. :(

Hoping a behaviorist can help answer some of these questions for you. Hoping, too, you can find one who’s poodle savvy.

·
Administrator
12,853 Posts
Peggy had some anxiety as a pup. We were lucky to have a certified trainer who could objectively assess her for us after another trainer basically told us the sky was falling and to return her to the breeder ASAP.

Honestly, I never thought she’d be able to relax. Happy to say she proved me wrong. :)

As I type this...

Textile Beige Grey Toy Wood

·
Administrator
12,853 Posts
That’s so hard. :( Is your neighbour’s dog aggressive? Or was the lunge an isolated incident? Maybe your neighbour would consider working with your trainer, as well.

·
Administrator
12,853 Posts
I agree with @cowpony. If this is an experienced, certified trainer, whom you trust, I see no reason to second guess them. I don’t think they’d sound the alarm for normal social deficits. They’d make sure you were enrolled in a good puppy class, working through a socialization checklist, etc.

·
Administrator
12,853 Posts
Sounds like you’re in excellent hands with your trainers and soon-to-be-be-behaviorist. And what an encouraging story from @Poodle2021.

Your breeder might be helpful, too.

·
Administrator
12,853 Posts
What do you mean by anti barking collars? Shock collars? If your breeder uses those methods on her adults, it’s very likely there is instability in the home. I would also be concerned about the methods she uses on her puppies. :(

One of the worst cases of anxiety I’ve heard about was triggered by an invisible fence.

·
Administrator
12,853 Posts
P.S. I hope you’ll share your experience with us, with Dr. Overall. What an incredible resource! Tuck really is in the very best hands with his loving family and such top notch animal professionals.

·
Administrator
12,853 Posts
I saw this today and it made me think of Tuck:

Organism Yellow Font Adaptation Happy

It’s hard to give a puppy a vacation from stimuli when you’re trying hard to socialize him. Definitely a tricky balance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts