Poodle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sisko and I have been getting a lot better, but Sisko seems to be getting more and more anxious and jealous, he almost always licks his paws and chews on himself, but there have been fleas that have been around, but he started licking and chewing himself before the fleas came, and he just started licking his genital area 2 days ago. I've been exercising him more, but it's not getting any better. This is stressing me out too?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I want to have more moments like this
IMG_20200115_235443191.jpg

Instead of him being anxious and jealous and me being stressed out from this.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Licking paws and chewing might be due to an allergic reaction. Is Sisko on a flea preventative?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Licking paws and chewing might be due to an allergic reaction. Is Sisko on a flea preventative?

How old is Sisko now?
We we're thinking it was his food so we switched him from Iams to Nutro, but before that he was on Eukanuba. Sisko is on flea prevention? he 23 months old, he'll be 2 next month?

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
If you're thinking food allergy, how did the ingredient lists compare? The protein source is typically the culprit. If it's environmental, did anything change around that time, seasonal pollens? laundry detergent? his shampoo?

I wouldn't suggest giving him this without checking with your vet first, but Benadryl (or generic brand) will work for dogs like it does for humans for allergies. It can also be used for motion sickness, if that's a thing, and even for anxiety. If your vet thinks it's ok to try, they can give you the dosage.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll have to check?, but all of his foods have had chicken in them, but he was fine with the Eukanuba that had chicken in it too. I know our carpet needs to be changed because it was old when we moved in. The only thing that's changed is we've been training more, but nothing else has.

I've had to give him Benadryl before for fleas, but not anything else.

Thank you, rose n poos!?

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
I luckily have not had any issues with fleas and we are in a prone area . Perhaps his prevention isn't working or it the extra licking/chewing could even be from dry heat .

·
Super Moderator
5,101 Posts
Oh this is interesting! Because we don't live too far from one another and Peggy just started biting crazily at herself yesterday. It's certainly put her on edge.

I wonder if it's some sort of spore or pollen being released with this sudden warm weather? I initially thought it might be a food allergy.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I luckily have not had any issues with fleas and we are in a prone area . Perhaps his prevention isn't working or it the extra licking/chewing could even be from dry heat .
Thank you, Mufar42. It could be.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh this is interesting! Because we don't live too far from one another and Peggy just started biting crazily at herself yesterday. It's certainly put her on edge.

I wonder if it's some sort of spore or pollen being released with this sudden warm weather? I initially thought it might be a food allergy.
I saw your post! I'm sorry Peggy is going through the same thing. Sisko is on edge too. It is very interesting!

It could be? it's so weird though because this has never happened before?

I gave Sisko some Benadryl for itching.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you, PeggyTheParti! I saw your post! I'm so sorry Peggy is going through the same thing. Sisko is on edge too. It is very interesting!

It could be? it's so weird though because this has never happened before?

I gave Sisko some Benadryl for itching.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Hi Fenris-wolf. I think Sisko is lucky for having someone who loves him so much and is trying to help him. Remember not to show anxiety if you can help it as he will pick up on that and it will make him worse. I know what your going through though and its very hard, worrying.

Obviously you want to find the cause of the anxiety and it looks like your trying your best to find the answer but their might be some short term solutions in the mean time. In the UK we have a Fireworks night and the dogs hate it and get scarred stiff, a local pet shop suggested Adaptil and I though 'that will never work' because dogs get so Very scarred, but to my amazement it completely removed their fears and all anxiety, they just did not care about the loud bangs. Please give it a try because if Sisko's anxiety is external it will go away but if its medical then it will still help until you find the answer.

Bellow are two examples of things ive done to help my dogs. Good luck x

Dew Claws too long - One of my pooches was licking his paws and it was his dew claws had grown round and pushed back into his paw. This was the first poodle I've had where this was an issue but it was my fault for not checking and clipping enough.

Phosphatidylserine is a great calming supplement- its a tablet that I sometimes give one of my dogs because he has these funny turns like a seizure where he can't walk for a minute and the vet doesn't know what it is. phosphatidylserine is found in food in small doses but its marketed as 'Brain barrier' because it protects the brain from feeling imbalances in the body like hormones etc that give us panic attacks and anxiety, its very good for humans as a supplement as it increases brain function and studies are being made on its proposed benefit on age related dementia, it very much calms me and my dog down though. My problem is a damaged adrenal gland from taking valium in the past, my adrenal gland making me feel anxious and other nerve feelings but the Phos stopes its effect on my brain. We (Vets or forums) can't work out what my dogs problem is but the 'Phos' helps him.

·
Super Moderator
5,101 Posts
I've been wondering about Adaptil!

The 4th of a July is a long way off, but, depending on where one lives in the United States, it can sound like being in a war zone. Around here, fireworks continue long into the night, and often go off loudly and unexpectedly in the week before and after, sometimes very close to our house.

I'm hoping Peggy rolls with it the way my last dog did. She didn't even used to flinch. But you never know. In addition to the desensitizing work we've been doing since she was a small puppy, I think I'll try Adaptil.

Fenris-wolf, how's Sisko doing these days?

Peggy stopped chewing her paws after about a week. I'm pretty sure it was an egg allergy. And she simultaneously went though another fear period, which was extremely stressful. Luckily, that seemed to end with the start of her first heat cycle.

Poodles are so sensitive, some extremely so. Is your home life peaceful? You don't have to share any details here, but it's worth thinking about. If there's tension or big, loud energy, Sisko could be feeling stress and coping with it the only way he knows how.

This is a challenge in our house sometimes, because my husband works from home. When he's stressed, Peggy can absolutely feel it. Even when his office door is closed.

·
Premium Member
9,687 Posts
One trick we did with our allergic Scottie’s was to wash their paws with the shampoo the vet dermatologist recommended. I know that would be a pain with a Spoo, but it did help between weekly baths for environmental allergies. I have to agree that if their people are stressed or anxious, our empathetic poodles pick up on it. The licking might be self-soothing behavior and not allergies. I did some positive jollying and vocabulary building through scary stuff, and named it. “Yay! Fireworks! Yay, truck!” Treats help:) Best wishes on figuring it out.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Fenris-wolf. I think Sisko is lucky for having someone who loves him so much and is trying to help him. Remember not to show anxiety if you can help it as he will pick up on that and it will make him worse. I know what your going through though and its very hard, worrying.

Obviously you want to find the cause of the anxiety and it looks like your trying your best to find the answer but their might be some short term solutions in the mean time. In the UK we have a Fireworks night and the dogs hate it and get scarred stiff, a local pet shop suggested Adaptil and I though 'that will never work' because dogs get so Very scarred, but to my amazement it completely removed their fears and all anxiety, they just did not care about the loud bangs. Please give it a try because if Sisko's anxiety is external it will go away but if its medical then it will still help until you find the answer.

Bellow are two examples of things ive done to help my dogs. Good luck x

Dew Claws too long - One of my pooches was licking his paws and it was his dew claws had grown round and pushed back into his paw. This was the first poodle I've had where this was an issue but it was my fault for not checking and clipping enough.

Phosphatidylserine is a great calming supplement- its a tablet that I sometimes give one of my dogs because he has these funny turns like a seizure where he can't walk for a minute and the vet doesn't know what it is. phosphatidylserine is found in food in small doses but its marketed as 'Brain barrier' because it protects the brain from feeling imbalances in the body like hormones etc that give us panic attacks and anxiety, its very good for humans as a supplement as it increases brain function and studies are being made on its proposed benefit on age related dementia, it very much calms me and my dog down though. My problem is a damaged adrenal gland from taking valium in the past, my adrenal gland making me feel anxious and other nerve feelings but the Phos stopes its effect on my brain. We (Vets or forums) can't work out what my dogs problem is but the 'Phos' helps him.
Thank you, so much anthonyhague? I really appreciate your kind words and I'm happy that I'm not alone. I've been keeping my own anxiety more in check. Oh no! Poor babies ? Wow! Okay, thank you, I'll try Adaptil. It's so weird though, Sisko couldn't care less about fireworks.

We tried to take care of this dog who you couldn't help but tell he was from a puppy mill. His dewclaws were long and 2 of his other claws were like how you described your Poodle's dew claws to be, and when I went to cut them I cut too much and it started to bleed and I freaked out for him because he didn't feel it or anything, but he was a lot happier after that.

I've never heard of Phophatidylserline. Thank you for the description. That's so odd, but I think I've heard about something like that happening to other dogs before. I'm glad the Phophatidylserine is helping you and your dog. Have you tried a vet school? My family and I had a Greyhound when I was a child and he had Lymphoma and there was a vet school that offered to do something that would give him a few more months. I think it was something experimental, but we declined.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've been wondering about Adaptil!

The 4th of a July is a long way off, but, depending on where one lives in the United States, it can sound like being in a war zone. Around here, fireworks continue long into the night, and often go off loudly and unexpectedly in the week before and after, sometimes very close to our house.

I'm hoping Peggy rolls with it the way my last dog did. She didn't even used to flinch. But you never know. In addition to the desensitizing work we've been doing since she was a small puppy, I think I'll try Adaptil.

Fenris-wolf, how's Sisko doing these days?

Peggy stopped chewing her paws after about a week. I'm pretty sure it was an egg allergy. And she simultaneously went though another fear period, which was extremely stressful. Luckily, that seemed to end with the start of her first heat cycle.

Poodles are so sensitive, some extremely so. Is your home life peaceful? You don't have to share any details here, but it's worth thinking about. If there's tension or big, loud energy, Sisko could be feeling stress and coping with it the only way he knows how.

This is a challenge in our house sometimes, because my husband works from home. When he's stressed, Peggy can absolutely feel it. Even when his office door is closed.
I hope Peggy just rolls with it too, Wishing you luck!

It's so weird Sisko couldn't care less about fireworks. I can't remember what I did when he first heard one, I might have been like ? or I might have started playing with him.

I was going to ask you how Peggy was doing? I'm glad she stopped chewing on her paws, but I'm sorry that she went through another fear period and that it was stressful. Do you think it was hormones from her about to go into heat?. Sisko is a little less itchy after I clipped his coat and for the past few days even though we have still be sick I've been keeping my own anxiety more in check. Sisko still scratches himself quite a bit, but he seems a little less anxious and is more willing to listen(have to add that in his progress blog!)

we're all stressed and frustrated from somethings we're going through/been through. We've been talking about what we can do to try to ease some of the stress though. I really miss my Aussie right now because she was solid like a rock and nothing could get to her and she would just lay down near us, but Sisko will be stressed out with us. He did lick my mom's feet though because he could sense she was stressed which was really sweet?.

·
Super Moderator
5,101 Posts
Aw, I'm so sorry. What a sweet boy Sisko is to try and soothe your mom the same way he soothes himself.

I do understand what you're going through, missing your Aussie. When I'm having a rough time, I miss my Gracie so much it hurts. She was my little rock, too.

But that's a lot of pressure to put on a new dog, so I try and breathe through the feeling and am working on finding other ways to cope. Doesn't mean we can't desperately miss our old friends, though. Sending hugs.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One trick we did with our allergic Scottie’s was to wash their paws with the shampoo the vet dermatologist recommended. I know that would be a pain with a Spoo, but it did help between weekly baths for environmental allergies. I have to agree that if their people are stressed or anxious, our empathetic poodles pick up on it. The licking might be self-soothing behavior and not allergies. I did some positive jollying and vocabulary building through scary stuff, and named it. “Yay! Fireworks! Yay, truck!” Treats help:) Best wishes on figuring it out.
Aw, I'm so sorry. What a sweet boy Sisko is to try and soothe your mom the same way he soothes himself.

I do understand what you're going through, missing your Aussie. When I'm having a rough time, I miss my Gracie so much it hurts. She was my little rock, too.

But that's a lot of pressure to put on a new dog, so I try and breathe through the feeling and am working on finding other ways to cope. Doesn't mean we can't desperately miss our old friends, though. Sending hugs.
Thank you. He is a sweet boy! He thinks they're foot massages? and gives them to us daily.

I'm glad Gracie was your little rock. I definitely get going through a rough time and missing an old friend so much that it hurts.

You're right, that is a lot of pressure to put on a new dog and it's unfair too. I have to remember to breathe too and I definitely need to find more ways to cope. I know that Tai Chi is very good. Thank you for the hugs?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do I have make an appointment with a vet dermatologist to get the soap?

Yeah, Poodles are empathetic! I think it's self-soothing behaviors too. Okay, I'll try it! Sisko can get scared of big trucks driving by sometimes. Treats do help? Thank you, Mfmst!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts