• No

Votes: 22 51.2%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is very personal to some people but I just have to ask.
I have been noticing lately that lots of my dog owning friends have Anxiety disorders, like panic attacks and so on.

I also talked to my psychiatrist and she said that she saw a link between dog ownership and people with anxiety disorders.
Not that the dogs where causing the Anxiety but people who suffered from it where more likely to get a dog.

So who would like to stick there hand up in the air and say they suffer from it and also have a dog :D

I will go first..

I have had anxiety disorder since 2007 I am ok at the moment but it goes up and down. My dogs are a big help :)

Well you don't really have to post a answer if you don't want to ;) just wanted to raise awareness on the subject.
If anyone is suffering in silent and would like any help feel free to contact me.
I am not a doctor but I know lots of ways to cope.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Me me me me me me!

I suffered firstly from anxiety after an incredibly rough year in 06, leading up to my wedding. The clincher was a head injury that left me with nervous system issues. I won't bother going into details, but at that stage I was heavily medicated on a few different pills.

Since then I've come of medication completely, partially thanks to my lifestyle. At 23, I've been married 3 years, we own our own home, and we can afford for me to be a stay at home mum without too much concern. This has given me a sense of control and stability that has helped 10 fold.

Duncan has been brilliant. We got him when my daughter was 3 months, and therefore, I had to exercise. Hubby would take the baby so we could go out each day. I couldn't mope etc, and he became my hobby too. Nowdays, he and the baby play wonderfully together, and I still have to leave my house on a daily basis! He is a comfort when I'm at home alone, he keeps me company during the day, and fixing my own training mistakes certainly stops me from getting too bored!

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Me too!! I have agoraphobia, a fear of crowds, claustrophobia, a fear of closed in spaces, and suffer from severe panic attacks. If I did not have my dogs, I likely would have taken my life twelve years ago, when this reared its ugly head. They give me a reason to get up every morning and keep going!

I agree, we do not have anxiety disorders because of the dogs, but rather the dogs do not judge us or poo-poo what we are feeling and bring us comfort. They love us and accept us whatever we are going through!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Me three!

I also suffer with anxiety & panic attacks,thank god for our dogs they defiantly make a huge difference in our lives. What ever would we do with out them, I look at them as my medication they certainly soothe the soul.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder almost 20 years ago. No medication has helped me as much as Teddy has--without nasty side-effects too!

Excellent topic, Winnow!

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
The most depressing time of my life was the only few years I didn't have a pet of any kind, the month we adopted a cat my life took a complete change for the better, it's only gone up from there. I live life to it's fillest and love being alive.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I've had anxiety issues since high school (I'm 42). Sometimes I do very well. Sometimes not so much. I've had at least one dog and worked with dogs since I was 15. Dogs have always been an amazing part of my life. I know I'm a better, happier person because of all the great dogs that have graced my life :) The poodle has stepped that up a notch. She is amazing! I am grateful for everyday that she shares with me!!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you apoodleaday, Fluffyspoos, Marian, pudlemom and ArreauStandardPoodle. Hope you will all get ride of this nasty stuff one day !
Yes it is possible to be cured ;)

I was really interested when I found out that two of my puppy buyers suffered from anxiety.
Also the lady who did the mental test on the puppies and the women who owns Dimas sister and my friend who breed labs.

Then a psychiatrist bought one of my pups and said that it was very common for people who suffered from anxiety to have dogs.

So I just had to ask here ;)

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Just watch the news and you'll realize why so many of us have anxiety disorders. I do too, and I will readily admit it...bacause a lot of people think I have it all together and seem so "normal" and I set them straight and tell them how mental I really am. I got my first standard about 2 months after 9-11 and I named her DREAMS OF PEACE because at that time, people didn't know if the United States was going to be in an all out war or what. She was doggie #2 and now I have 7. So dogs really do help me alot.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Count me in the club too - although I am just getting treatment for it. It started this past year when I got diagnosed with Crohns disease which can have some very not socially acceptable side effects. I am not quite in remission yet for Crohns (hence the current loads of free time, living with the parental units, and unemployment) but am feeling a LOT better which has allowed me to get out of the house a bit. I am on anxiety medication right now which has helped and each time I can run an errand without a stomach issue I gain more confidence. Thankfully I have a wonderful family/friend support system. BUT to be truthful the biggest help has been my mom getting two Siamese kittens (all our pets had passed away from old age the past few years and we were totally petless = unacceptable). It really is amazing how much animals can calm anxiety and I know going forward pets will always be a part of my life. It is nice to know that others have dealt with anxiety disorder and gotten through it - thank you for starting this thread.

Cindy

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It started this past year when I got diagnosed with Crohns disease which can have some very not socially acceptable side effects.
Hi Cindy,

I am a fellow Crohny ;)
So I now all to well what you are talking about. Glad you are seeking treatment for you anxiety. It can get bad and the CD is totally not helping.
I get worse from the anxiety every time my CD acts up.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
You know I suffer with anxiety issues and I think that you have to be careful who you pick as a breeder also when you are choosing a puppy/dog. When I had issues with this one breeder I had chosen, I later explained to her that I felt like she was putting pressure on me to do things her way and it was causing issues with anxiety. I also felt a great deal of pressure to maintain coat (this puppy was for showing) and not to let anyone down. I didn't get to just enjoy the puppy as a pet. But when I told her this she later used it against me to make fun of those issues and continues to badger me still. It's a hard thing to admit to someone that you suffer with something that's hard to control and then to have that person turn around and make fun of you and try to use it to hurt you.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You know I suffer with anxiety issues and I think that you have to be careful who you pick as a breeder also when you are choosing a puppy/dog. When I had issues with this one breeder I had chosen, I later explained to her that I felt like she was putting pressure on me to do things her way and it was causing issues with anxiety. I also felt a great deal of pressure to maintain coat (this puppy was for showing) and not to let anyone down. I didn't get to just enjoy the puppy as a pet. But when I told her this she later used it against me to make fun of those issues and continues to badger me still. It's a hard thing to admit to someone that you suffer with something that's hard to control and then to have that person turn around and make fun of you and try to use it to hurt you.
What a bitch!

The problem is people who don't have this have no idea how it feels like for people who suffer from anxiety.
I know Charly's breeder is very excited about him and his show career. But she does not put any pressure on me, but I am sure she was disappointed when I did cut him down. But now we are back on track he is a champion and will hopefully finish his last title in November.

I know most good dog owners want to make there breeder proud. But it is hard for some people to keep up with all this coat work.
One lady asked me why I did not tell all my puppy buyers to show there dogs at least once. I just told here that it would be very unfair of me to ask them that.
I would of course love for them all to be in the show ring and I will help as much as I can if someone would want to show them but it is none of my business if they just want to stay at home.

First when I was reading you post I was thinking should you choose a breeder who does not have anxiety so the puppy will not be affected :p
But then I finish reading it ;)

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
What a bitch!

HEY!!! Quit insulting female dogs in such a way!! :lol: I agree, however, that it is hard enough living with a mental health issue and have people belittle and ridicule you for it - it is so inappropriate (and downright MEAN!)

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
HEY!!! Quit insulting female dogs in such a way!! :lol: I agree, however, that it is hard enough living with a mental health issue and have people belittle and ridicule you for it - it is so inappropriate (and downright MEAN!)
I tend to think that the person has their own mental health problems because there is no other reason for her to continue to try to get under my skin.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
You all have known about my agoraphobia because I have talked about it here, and I can so relate. Winnow had asked me if I would show Quincy, and I told her I would IF I COULD. We talked about her disorders and my disorders and she was absolutely fine with things if it turns out I simply cannot do it. But there has been pressure here before I got Quincy, people thinking they can choose for me what venue I show in, and indicating there are tons of UKC shows in Canada. Well, no there are not. And to my knowledge there are one or two a year in Ontario, and for me UKC does not cut it. Anyway, all this pressure does is make things worse. Winnow's attitiude was calm and accepting, and made me feel like maybe I can, but mocking someone or acting like you understand or thinking you have all the answers does not help one bit. So Kpoos, I hear you and I empathize. Humans can be mean and vicious and I think that s why we turn to animals. They love and accept and do not judge us ever, unlike human beings who seem to be none of the above sometimes.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You all have known about my agoraphobia because I have talked about it here, and I can so relate. Winnow had asked me if I would show Quincy, and I told her I would IF I COULD. We talked about her disorders and my disorders and she was absolutely fine with things if it turns out I simply cannot do it. But there has been pressure here before I got Quincy, people thinking they can choose for me what venue I show in, and indicating there are tons of UKC shows in Canada. Well, no there are not. And to my knowledge there are one or two a year in Ontario, and for me UKC does not cut it. Anyway, all this pressure does is make things worse. Winnow's attitiude was calm and accepting, and made me feel like maybe I can, but mocking someone or acting like you understand or thinking you have all the answers does not help one bit. So Kpoos, I hear you and I empathize. Humans can be mean and vicious and I think that s why we turn to animals. They love and accept and do not judge us ever, unlike human beings who seem to be none of the above sometimes.
Arreau I know you can do it ;)
But it is not that easy, you have to feel up to it and do it at your own pace.
But then again the only way to get ride of your fears is facing them, and boy is that scary :S

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Arreau I know you can do it ;)
But it is not that easy, you have to feel up to it and do it at your own pace.
But then again the only way to get ride of your fears is facing them, and boy is that scary :S
AMEN!! I am trying to do this with no meds at all because of the amount of addiction in my family, so it makes the process slow and the getting over fears quite difficult.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Dogs can be very therapeutic to many mental and physical disorders! While I don't suffer from anxiety issues myself, I have worked with people who did and animal therapy can be a valuable part of their progress.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts