Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day turned bad. Went out to play fetch and the ball landed next to a fire ant hill and he was curious, stuck his nose in and got covered and bit by a bunch of ants. Luckily he listens well and came so I could throw him in the tub. Now all cuddled up under his blankie. #poodleRiggs

Attachments

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Poor baby.

Did you call your vet to see about giving him an antihistamine?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, not yet I got them off pretty quick. And I am watching close for any swelling or breathing problems. I don't see actual bites as of yet. I think it freaked him out when they got on him. Any sign and I will definitely call. He is not scratching or anything at the moment.

·
Premium Member
9,610 Posts
Fire ants are an insect I wouldn’t mind seeing on an endangered list. Their bite raises a blister on me. My niece needs an Epi Pen. Mounds pop up after a rain and grow and grow. I’m glad you are watching for any signs. Buck and my other dogs seemed to have fire ant sensors and avoided them.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Renn and I got bit about a month or so ago. I blister but he did fine. He cried when they bit him him but there was no after effect. I did fine a few tangled in his fur. I think the long fur on his legs saved him. I finally hit all the hidden mounds with orthene, then I bought the granular and spread it over the back yard. Still get a few but not quite as bad. Glad your boy is doing well after his encounter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts