1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
These are some of our dogs (with me) back in the 60's and 70's. I have posted these before but some of the newer members will not have seen them. I cannot believe how much show clips have changed, particularly puppy clips!! I have always wanted to cord a Poodle too. My biggest concern is the smell. Reds would be awesome for it because they are so curly.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I really enjoyed that great walk through history! Thanks for posting the links.

Arreau, I cannot believe how much hair there was on the puppies!! So very different from the sculpted pups of today.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Soooooo much more drying time. We would be a good six hours grooming a show pup from start to finish. Drying a pup with that much coat for a summer show was a nightmare. The dog looked great, but the groomer looked like she had been dragged through a knot hole!

·
Registered
494 Posts
I found an old book at a yard sale recently. I hope I'm not infringing on copyright by posting the pictures... I can't help myself!! They are just too cute!! Don't tell anyone! Shh..!

The book is called: How to Clip Your Own Poodle by Ernest H. Hart, 1962

I included the original captions under each picture...

This is a perfectly clipped Miniature Poodle. It is Champion Braeval Busker owned by Mrs. J. D. Grant and photographed by world-famed dog photographer Evelyn Shafer.

A grooming stand with an inverted L to hold the dog in position makes grooming a great deal easier. Try to get a table which can be raised or lowered as you need it. Larger dogs are groomed with the table at a lower height than toy Poodles. Photo by Louise Van der Meid.

Hold the tail at the base when shaping the pompom with a barber's shears.

This is Blakeen Osprey owned by Mrs. Sherman Hoyt of Stamford, Conn. He just wont the Best of the Standard Poodles in the 1947 Westminster Kennel Club show at the Madison Square Garden. Poodles have become much more "perfect" since 1947... but the clips haven't changed at all!

Attachments

·
Registered
494 Posts

This is the proper way to hold your Poodle's foot when getting the hairs between the webbing on the toes. Note the comb laying on the table.

Don't be cruel when you groom your Poodle. Hold the hair between the comb and the skin so the pull is reduced when you hit a knot.

This beautiful Poodle puppy is only 9 3/4 inches high and is thus considered a Toy Poodle. Note the beautiful Puppy Clip. Photo by Frasie.

In 1953 theses Poodles took the Best in Show of the 73rd International Dog Show at the Versailles Fair in Paris, France. The French dogs look different than the American dogs because the French allow different clips. UPI Photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
494 Posts

These Miniature Poodles in perfect form and with a perfect clip, have just won prizes at the 1960 Westminster Kennel Club Show.

A Corded Standard Poodle by the name of "Rejane" being shown by Miss Andree Fosset. Photo by Evelyn Shafer.

When the Poodle Club of America held their 27th Specialty Show, they selected this puppy Poodle in a Puppy Clip as the best Poodle Puppy. Photo by Evelyn Shafer.

You don't have to have a "show clip" to make you Poodle beautiful. Here are a rare pair of matched, mismarked Poodles.They make excellent pets and are strikingly beautiful, yet the Kennel Club will not allow them to be shown because they are "sub-quality" from the Standard set by the club. Photo by Louise Van der Meid.

Attachments

·
Registered
494 Posts

If your Poodles are to be let about in the woods, and you don't have the time to be combing them daily, you'd better use a short clip such as these two Poodles are sporting.

From leopard trimmed coat (recently copied by several high fashion houses) to jeweled bow, this puppy is ready for a night out. By dressing your Poodle up in this manner, he will be allowed into restaurants which have the usual NO DOGS ALLOWED sign on display.

At the Paris salon of Jacques Heim, there was a showing of raincoats for "Miss and Her Poodle." Matching raincoats may be hard for you to find, but you can get beautiful raincoats for your Poodle at your petshop. Raincoats aren't so necessary to protect your pet from the rain, but when you have to take them out in the rain, they are a mess when you bring them back into the house if they didn't have raincoats. Photo by United Press International.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
The funny thing is...fifty years from now people will be looking at the Poos of today, goggling, saying "What WERE those people thinking!".
Thats what I was thinking.......makes you wonder what will the poodles look like years from now?

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
...they selected this puppy Poodle in a Puppy Clip as the best Poodle Puppy.
Try saying that three times real fast.

By dressing your Poodle up in this manner, he will be allowed into restaurants which have the usual NO DOGS ALLOWED sign on display.
How times have changed.

This thread is awesome.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the pics Salukie :) The leopard coat is so adorable.

I found a video of a dog show from the '50 in youtube, there's a poodle at 4:26

·
Registered
494 Posts
Gah!!! :scared:That poor toy poodle looked funny! :doh: I so wonder what the poodle clip will look like in 50 years from now... :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts