Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s a good Antihistamine? Sandy has been rubbing at her face with her paws for awhile and her nose runs a bit. I mentioned it to the vet and he didn’t seemed concerned and that the nose drip was normal . He said if I wanted we could put her on a Antihistamine but then didn’t say anymore on it and I forgot. They will fill online prescriptions for me if I need it.
He checked her ears and they were fine .

·
Registered
12,567 Posts
My vet recommended having a chlorpheniramine (Piriton) anti-histamine for babies/small children to hand in case of insect stings etc, taking care that it does not contain xylitol, of course. The dosage for dogs is .5mg per kilogram of body weight, 2-3 times per day, so a maximum of 1.5mg per kilo per day. The syrup I have is 2mg per 5ml, and comes with a syringe for accurate dosing.

Other syrups (remember, must be xylitol free!) are Benadryl (diphenhydramine), Claritin (loratidine) and Reactine (ceterizine HCL). All are available in cheaper generic versions. Bigger dogs may be safe taking the tablet forms. I have a useful dosage table if you would like me to PM it - I can't remember where I found it so cannot post a link.

But if her symptoms are minimal it may be safer to look at her environment - however much drugs are tested anything that is effective may cause unwanted side effects. If her mild itchiness is down to dust mites or cleaning products or perfumes etc, dealing with those may be better than putting her onto daily medication. I would always check with your vet before using any over the counter medication, of course.

·
Registered
7,307 Posts
When my minipoo was stung by a bee my vet told me to give 1/2 a Benadryl that did not contain xylitol or other artificial sweeteners dogs can’t have. I would ask your vet for the dosing he feels is correct for your dog. You shouldn’t be left to guess or rely on the internet.

·
Super Moderator
1,627 Posts
I would talk to the vet to come up with an appropriate dosing schedule and also a plan to taper off.

I once made the mistake of quitting Benadryl cold turkey after being on a high dose for six weeks. I got headaches that were so painful I was throwing up. The ER doctor and I both thought I was having an aneurism. The subsequent brain scan was my contribution to the skyrocketing cost of health care. Doh!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts