Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I mentioned in another post, I just drove across I-10 from Arizona to Florida with my daughter and a year old mini poodle, Rocky. We picked up a 10 week old standard puppy in Florida, then drove to Tennessee...in four days. 3 months post-op for me. pretty exhausting to say the least!
After reading so many posts here, I knew what you would be thinking. “Wow that’s a lot to take on!” “Two puppies! Now?” And if you weren’t thinking that you should have been! Believe me, I thought about it and knew it would be very challenging. Well, it has been.
I have found that when exhaustion takes over, reason and patience go out the window. I was fairly sure that Rocky, would act out and regress some in his training. I didn’t know how much. God bless Cassidy, she has been mellow and only doing puppy stuff. But Rock! Mostly it has shown up in peeing and pooping in the house. And I lose it!
So last night I was at “my wits end”, in tears, praying to God for guidance and help.
I turned to all of you!
Now, I remember when my kids were little, all the other mothers seemed to “have it all together” and I was the only one who felt exasperated and like a failure. But really, many of them were just as exasperated as I was. So I thought, look for posts that talk about the frustration of puppy rearing, puppy mom exasperation, you’ll find you are not alone and they will give very good, usable advice.
You know that writing this is hard because I want to feel like the well balanced, loving poodle mom. And I wasn’t. I was the crazy lady! I even told Rock that I wanted to “give him away!” like it was his fault! I didn’t mean it, of course, I really love Rocky. So I read your posts...for two hours and bingo, there it was “Praise!” Rocky is getting fat from all the treats “healthy ones” I’ve been shoving down his throat Because it’s easier than making a big fuss over what a good, smart boy he is. They go outside, go potty and we go inside to get a treat. I have been cutting corners. I call it budgeting my energy, which is necessary, but not with training and loving my pups. So I began immediately telling Rocky what a good boy he is and lots of hands on loving him. Rewarding him with praise, pets and love, Cassie too! We are, all three, reaping the benefits already! Hugh change! Mostly in me And my attitude!
WEATHER ALERT!!! I just spent 20-25 minutes in the closet under the stairs with two perfectly behaved puppies. No tornado touched down. Whew!!! We were cool and calm and snuggled together.
So, now they are playing, I’m feeling much better about myself, and the storm has passed, not just figuratively speaking! Oh, I know there are rough times ahead, but if I can’t handle it myself, I will come to you for guidance. I know you try not to judge, but offer voices of experience. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
2,713 Posts
I'm so glad you made it through both the surgery and the tornado warning safely and you are finding support here.

·
Super Moderator
9,039 Posts
I’m so happy you found what you were looking for. I’ve had a similar experience with Poodle Forum, and really do feel it’s what got me through Peggy’s first year.

P.S. If you want to increase the mileage of Rocky and Cassidy’s potty treats, be sure to feed them the moment they’re finishing up. That way you’re rewarding them for pottying rather than for coming back inside. :)

·
Premium Member
Killa and Tekno
305 Posts
If you haven't rolled into a ball and cried from fatigue and fear of failure, you haven't owned a puppy! hehehe So glad there are breaks in the storm and congrats on your babies!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I knew you would understand! We have had such a great day! I have been rewarding the kids with praise and treats right away. I think we all feel more connected and successful! The ripple effect is tangible.

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
I can’t imagine your fortitude to do all that.

I have a 6 yo minipoo with a 4 month old puppy. I can’t believe how much work it is. I have routines with my older dog and I’m struggling to have her keep her routine while training the pogo stick of a puppy to follow the same routine.

I’m going nuts and the only thing keeping me sane is knowing slowly he’s maturing and slowly we will all figure it out. OTOH our new puppies help keep us young and active.

·
Premium Member
10,015 Posts
I accepted that all puppy “accidents”, training fails and every other fails were on me and not on the puppy. It’s so exciting when you figure out what works. Important to take a victory lap when that happens, because it’s a long road to poodle maturity:)

·
Registered
Standard Poodle (arriving April 21st !!)
617 Posts
Congratulations! Feels good to succeed, doesn't it!

"If you really want to do something, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse."

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, Magna, great quote and very true! But yes it does feel good to succeed. I’ve been patting myself on the back often the last too days. Now if I like pats on the back, it would follow that the pups would like pats on the back. Just reinforced that idea!
Y’all are so encouraging and the rage, which seemed to lurk right under the surface, is gone!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts